Sign in to follow this  
uboo64

Christening dress

I can't even count the attempts I have made at making a christening gown, I was really wanting to use thread but found it too painful for my hands, so here is what I came up with, using a dress pattern and doing the dress in alpaca silk in ecru. I am very happy with it. Still not sure if I will add booties or not. I added ribbons so the dress size can be adjusted. Thanks for looking.

th_dressbonnet.jpg

th_dressfront.jpg

th_dressbackcloseup.jpg

sleevecloseup.jpg

Edited by ChayaSar
fixed photos

Excellent work! It's a beautiful gown, sure to be treasured for years.

thanks so much I am saving it for my daughter and it better be at least 10 years lol

just looking at the pics the stand makes the arms look rather droopy, I need to buy a doll for a model :hook

That is ver pretty! :yay

very beautiful

That is pretty!

thank you everyone, it was my first time working with alpaca silk and I have to say everyone should try it, the yarn was just beautiful to work with. The pics don't really pick it up, but the silk in the yarn gives the dress a subtle shimmer.

Absolutely beautiful.

Barb, that is beautiful! It'll probably be softer for the baby than the thread anyway. You do lovely work, I'm sure it will be treasured!

Very pretty! Isn't that the Baby Blooms Layette by Sandra Abbate? I made 2 preemie layettes from the same pattern using size 10 thread. I love this design.:)

thanks again everyone and yes it is so soft, and drapes just beautiful

the pattern is from Leisure Arts tender touch layettes and it's called Say It With Flowers.

I haven't done any shoes or booties, because I like the idea of a baby wearing the set barefoot for some reason. I may do some booties as I do have a skein left over.

Yes that is it, I just added ribbons to the sleeves and bonnet, and didn't do all the embellishments, I have made that set many times but this is my favourite by far

That is beautiful! Really, you did a wonderful job on it.

Beautiful work. And that thread is exquisite!! I would definitely add booties if you have enough yarn left. Anything else just wouldn't be up to snuff with the outfit!