The Round Ripple that turned my hook Blue!

adagio

I made this RR for my brother-in-law. He and my sister are in the process of moving their household a couple of states away, and they are spending a lot of time apart for the time being. So I made this for him, as a token of our affection and love while he's setting up a new home for them there.

And this is the culprit that turned my hook blue! I used a K size, and the afghan is nearly 48 inches across.

Joanne's Sensations Rainbow Boucle, the darker blue colorway. The color does not show up very well in this shot.

rrforandy1bd3.th.jpg

I took this one in my living room, on my recliner. That's the sun shining on it. But you can see the color better.

rrforandy2dm1.th.jpg

If you like slideshows: http://img122.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img122/6396/12081376223wr.smil

Surprisingly, I enjoyed working with this yarn. Aside from the discolored hook issue, it was not easy to frog, sometimes it was hard to tell where to put the hook, and it seemed I was always having to stop and wind the yarn into balls. The afghan was soooooo looose and relaxed! But if I make this again, I may double up on the yarn, and will definitely use a smaller, ALUMINUM hook! LOL

Ah, must have been a wooden hook. If wood isn't sealed it will be porous like a sponge for dyes or skin oils. I would wash the blanket with a dye setting detergent (or add a little vinegar to the rinse to set the color) before gifting since it shouldn't be bleeding like that either. I'd hate to gift someone with it & they make a mistake of not washing it alone.

It is beautiful btw, nice job!

That is beautiful!!!

Will you wash it before you give it away? I'm just curious how much dye will come out of the yarn in the wash.

I was thinking the same thing. What kind of hook were you using? Wood hooks have easy grainy spots that almost attract dye :lol

Thanks, folks!

Yes, I washed it before I gifted it. As far as I could tell, it did not bleed in the wash. It was in a WHITE mesh bag, that is STILL WHITE. And there was also a white wash rag in with it, unbeknownst to me, that is also still white. I did use vinegar in the wash water. I gave them washing instructions, so I don't think it will be too much trouble.

I had lunch with my sister yesterday, after she took her hubby to the airport. She told me the blanket was the FIRST thing he packed! That was very gratifying to hear.

It was a Brittany Birch hook. The Brittany representative I emailed, basically said there was nothing I could do about it. So I guess I just won't use it with light colored yarn!

What's amazing is how complex it looks, with all the color changes, but it is all in how the yarn is designed!. So this yarn not only makes wonderful serafinas, but marvelous round ripples as well!

Thanks again for all your kind words!

I am also using this yarn for a RR but in a diff color and a smaller hook, will post pics when done.

I made this RR for my brother-in-law. He and my sister are in the process of moving their household a couple of states away, and they are spending a lot of time apart for the time being. So I made this for him, as a token of our affection and love while he's setting up a new home for them there.

And this is the culprit that turned my hook blue! I used a K size, and the afghan is nearly 48 inches across.

Joanne's Sensations Rainbow Boucle, the darker blue colorway. The color does not show up very well in this shot.

rrforandy1bd3.th.jpg

I took this one in my living room, on my recliner. That's the sun shining on it. But you can see the color better.

rrforandy2dm1.th.jpg

If you like slideshows: http://img122.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img122/6396/12081376223wr.smil

Surprisingly, I enjoyed working with this yarn. Aside from the discolored hook issue, it was not easy to frog, sometimes it was hard to tell where to put the hook, and it seemed I was always having to stop and wind the yarn into balls. The afghan was soooooo looose and relaxed! But if I make this again, I may double up on the yarn, and will definitely use a smaller, ALUMINUM hook! LOL

Archived