Sammy the Bear

Becks

Well, I thought I could make a bear out of wool tapestry thread, stuff it, then throw it into the wash a few times.

Here's the pics...

th_marvin037.jpg

Sammy's in pieces here. (Click on the pics for a larger view).

th_marvin039.jpgth_marvin040.jpg

Sewn together front and back views.

th_marvin052.jpgth_marvin053.jpg

Front and back pics after three times in the wash. I sewed on the eyes and nose.

th_marvin054.jpg

I don't know if it's due to the stuffing wanting to migrate to the bottom of his legs or the slight shrinking, but this is how he wants to be. Sitting down. I like it this way anyways. He looks cute.

He's very soft, I don't think he shrunk much. just sort of became fuzzy. I think that with this and my "floppy" bowl, when you single crochet tightly, it doesn't allow the wool to shrink in as much as it might if it were, say, double crocheted. I really don't know. But Sammy's o.k. for me! :D

for the stuffing...what I would do is lightly stuff but leave a slit open. Once he is completely fulled to your liking, remove the other stuffing and restuff when he is dry. The reason to stuff a little at first is to prevent the bear from melding together...sometimes when fiber fill is washed it becomes lumpy or if you firmly stuff before hand, you will interupt with the fulling process.

I love the bear, though and the colors are great. Good job on your bear. I too would like to do this....ahhh so many projects...so little time.

Those are such great ideas!

Becca, I used a J hook. Hmmm, I could have gone larger!

And Kim, I never even thought about leaving a slit open and removing and then restuffing it! Another great idea! I can't seem to mush up the fill at the end of his legs. (But at least he is in a sitting position and doesn't want to be doing a major backbend all the time! :lol Whew!

:ty for the ideas, guys! :)

Archived