Comfortghans needed for abused and elderly

stargazingirly

When I was in high school I was involved with my youth group and we use to go and sing with two of the area nursing homes and I can just remember how much they loved the company, many had few if any visitors, and always seemed to be cold and lonely. I hate to think of anyone experiencing this especially the old and wise. I was always taught to respect my elders and do what I can for them. So I have looked into the nursing homes in this area and found that most are part of a wider heading of Northeast Heath. My contact there said that any afghans or other donations would be given to those who need it most, so some of the afhgans may also go to children of abuse. While not my original targeted recipients who could say no to them? Certainly not me, which means I would like to donate as many as possible.

I have been involved with Northeast Health Center, they are desperate to provide comfortghans for their elderly patients who don't get visitors and always seem to be chilled as well as children who come in as victims of abuse. I Have set the goal of making 12 a year to donate, but I would love to be able to touch even more lives. I am making mostly 8 inch squares, but if 12 inches are what you like to make thats great too, what ever I get I will make into afghans for this great cause.

I really Appreciate any squares you can send, ww yarn, any color (well black might be a bit dark for a hospital setting... but no specific colors are required)

If any of you have squares you could contribute to this I would be so thankful! Please just PM me for an address when you need it!

:hug:manyheart:hug

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jess this sounds like a great cause! I am really tied up right this minute making the 100 Lapghans for the seniors here in town, But if I can I will try to do a few for you here and there. sorry I can't do more right now:(

is this something you are going to do even after this year?

:hug

Thank you all for thinking of helping with this charity! Yes this is a project I intend to keep ongoing, I will be associated with this center for as long I'm living in this area. So please keep me in mind even as time passes. I have set my personal goal at 12 lapghans for the year. Thats 2 squares a day for the year. and then the joining and bordering on top of it.

Just let me know if you have any questions!

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the warm response to this charity!

What size squares?

Where do we send them?

8 or 12 inch squares are great, both will be used! and you can use any pattern, any color!

Just PM me when you need an address and I will be more than happy to PM you back with it!

About 99% of what I knit & crochet goes to a local hospice, but now & then I like to do a new square that looks interesting - pretty - unique - whatever. If you'll PM me an address, I'll send off to you any of those I do.

Great to hear you are already involved in other charity work! I love new creative and unique things so anything you want to send it excellent.

Thanks! :yay

Just sent a PM to you for your addy. I would love to help and I have some 6" squares that I can add to to make 8" squares....mainly all done in the traditional granny square. Quick and fast is my motto :hook

Looking forward to hearing from you soon:manyheart

I'm working on my squares for you. :cheer Just mailed out 2 squares for the fallen firefighters, 12 squares for foster kids blankets charity, and a square for someone making an afghan for someone on the Ville. :clap

So, now in between my projects, your squares are getting done!! :yes

I've 2 so far and will send them when I get a bunch more done!! :hug

Just wanted to check in with you so you didn't think I forgot about my commitment to you!! :hook

Lauren

Okey dokey hunny bunny!! Getting on it ASAP for you!!

LOL! Thanks!

Just sent a PM to you for your addy. I would love to help and I have some 6" squares that I can add to to make 8" squares....mainly all done in the traditional granny square. Quick and fast is my motto :hook

Looking forward to hearing from you soon:manyheart

Awesome, quick and easy is just fine by me! its about the love that goes into making them and the comfort they will bring!!:hug Thank you!

I'm working on my squares for you. :cheer Just mailed out 2 squares for the fallen firefighters, 12 squares for foster kids blankets charity, and a square for someone making an afghan for someone on the Ville. :clap

So, now in between my projects, your squares are getting done!! :yes

I've 2 so far and will send them when I get a bunch more done!! :hug

Just wanted to check in with you so you didn't think I forgot about my commitment to you!! :hook

Lauren

Lauren you are one busy lady!! thanks!!

I've got 5 done for the April Charity Blitz weekend. :cheer All done for you!! :hug I'm sorry it takes me so long to get squares done,:blush but I promise when I have a box full, they're coming your way!! :clap

Lauren :hook

I've got 5 done for the April Charity Blitz weekend. :cheer All done for you!! :hug I'm sorry it takes me so long to get squares done,:blush but I promise when I have a box full, they're coming your way!! :clap

Lauren :hook

Lauren!

Thanks! I really appreciate your help! and don't worry about how long it takes to make them, I intend on doing this charity for a long long time. Its the one thing that makes me smile on days like today:hug

Right now I need chocolate and my crochet hook. I hope you all have a great night!

I used to make 12 inch squares for the Northwinds Afghan Project which has since folded. I wouldn't mind making enough for one for you. What are your dimensions? Is worsted weight okay? They specified synthetic/acrylic due to easy care. Is that okay? It comprises the bulk of my stash.

I used to make 12 inch squares for the Northwinds Afghan Project which has since folded. I wouldn't mind making enough for one for you. What are your dimensions? Is worsted weight okay? They specified synthetic/acrylic due to easy care. Is that okay? It comprises the bulk of my stash.

Hi Marzee!

And Welcome to the 'ville!

Your help would be great! Synthetic/ ww weight yarn is great, thats what i'm using. I am thinking for the 12 inch squares 3 by 4, then a boarder, something small enough not to get in the way but warm enough to cover their legs when sitting up and watching tv, I just remember my grandmama was always so cold!

I am still open to suggestions. So if you have any advice please let me know!

When you need my address just let me know:manyheart

Archived