Putting a patch on yarn?

I just finished crocheting a Harry Potty/Gryffindor House scarf for my son's 7th birthday next month. Today the Gryffindor patch came in and I realized--yes late--that I don't know IF or HOW the thing can be attached to yarn.

I've never put a patch on clothes let alone yarn. It has a kind of glazed-looking, tacky backside on the patch. I figure that might mean something. :blush

Is there anything I should know about patches and yarn, other than it could take awhile to sew it on? LOL. HELP! :confused

The shiney back COULD mean that it's an iron-on patch...but even if you do that, I would still go around it with a matching color sewing thread and just use some small stitches to tack it down. Kids being kids, if you just iron it on he will probably eventually lose it.

It might help if you make tacking holes in the patch ahead of time. I think you may have some difficulty pushins a sewing needle through it. You ccan make even spaced holes by using a sewing machine with no thread in it.

You'll need to use a heavier needle to sew it on, like a 'jeans' needle. That will go through the patch but it will still take some pushing if you hand sew it or go very slow if you're using your sewing machine. Iron-on patches usually don't work very well on any kind of knit materials or hand made items. It won't take too long to sew it on and you'll be more satisfied with the results and the fact that it actually stays on when it's washed.

~ Debby

If it were me, I would NOT do the iron unless the yarn used was not acrylic (because of the aforementioned melting of the yarn...) What I would do is machine stitch it, which can be tricky. If that's too ackward or scary, then the next best thing is to do the tacking holes and hand stitch it. But I wouldn't even try to do the iron with something that's knit or crochet, especially if the yarn is WW and acrylic...I don't think it would hold well.

Good luck.

• 11 years later...

Whoa, I remember replying to this very old post almost 12 years ago.

It is probably not a bad idea if you think either might shrink.  If you've read the thread, you know not to try to iron it on if it is that sort of patch.  You are going to want to applique-stitch the patch on with needle and sewing thread, using a blanket stitch would be the conventional and neatest way to do it.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Here's a secret... use CLEAR gorilla glue, I use it ALL the time to attach things to crocheted projects including crochet on crochet.  It holds strong (sometimes you'll have to go over it to reglue lifted edges), no hard glue once dried or if ran through to the back of the project, and you can wash it!  Just remember to put something VERY heavy on top to press the two pieces together. Let dry for a few hours.