Fallen firefighters

i'mhooked

Over the weekend our community tragically lost two firefighters in the line of duty. Brian Shira and Captain Robin Broxterman were killed Friday morning leaving behind a community just reeling from the loss. I did not have the pleasure of knowing either firefighter personally although my husband knew Brian from his second job at home depot and Robin lived with her two daughters and fiance around the corner from us. Our daughters were in the same class, Robin was one of the room moms. Her fiance, a fellow firefighter was on the scene that morning. I am attaching a link to the news story for any who may wish to view it.

I really want to do something to honor these heros. I was thinking of making a comfort-ghan for the firehouse and if I get enough squares one for each of the individual families as well.

For the firehouse I thought a smaller afghan,which could then hang in the firehouse would be a nice tribute. I would like to do a black square for each firefighter with their names written in white to go in the center of the ghan. If anyone would be able to donate squares and/or offer up suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Also any who would like to make a donation to the fireman can do so through the link. I am also attaching a link to a picture of the firefighters flag so that if anyone wants to see the colors they can. http://www.gettysburgflag.com/Fire_Fighter_Flag.php

I'm not sure how this works if I post my address here or if I give it in a pm but just let me know if you want to help.

Thank you all so much in advance for all your help, thoughts and prayers!

http://www.wcpo.com/content/specials/2008/lineofduty/default.aspx

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will check my stash and see if I have those colors.

I am still in shock over the tragic loss. Being the mother of a firefighter, my heart breaks for all of them every time I think about it. I wish I had been able to go to the visitation today or the funeral tomorrow, but since I am still on bed rest, I will sit here and watch it on TV with a box of tissues nearby.

I will check my stash and see if I have those colors.

I am still in shock over the tragic loss. Being the mother of a firefighter, my heart breaks for all of them every time I think about it. I wish I had been able to go to the visitation today or the funeral tomorrow, but since I am still on bed rest, I will sit here and watch it on TV with a box of tissues nearby.

It is such a terrible loss. I was unable to attend either but my aunt was there and said that the crowd was incredible. They waited in line for 4 hours!! My daughter said that all the kids at school were broken up-- they all really loved her.

I forgot to ask: is there a particular brand you would prefer to use? I know that sometimes when you mix brands like Caron Simply Soft with other WW (like RHSS, Bernat, etc.) the squares don't go together real well since the Caron SS is softer and thinner than other WW's.

I forgot to ask: is there a particular brand you would prefer to use? I know that sometimes when you mix brands like Caron Simply Soft with other WW (like RHSS, Bernat, etc.) the squares don't go together real well since the Caron SS is softer and thinner than other WW's.

I thought of that too but was concerned that if I limited it to a specific yarn then some may not contribute, espiecially if they didnt have it in their stash. I will probably be using caron ss just because it is what I have on hand. Do you think they will mix ok if I block the squares? Or if they are all edged in the same type of yarn?

My husband is a FF, so I will definitely send you some squares. Please PM me with your address. My prayers go out to all those mourning this tragic loss.

Unfortunately we have been through this ourselves too many times over the 16 years my husband has been a FF.

Hi I can send you a couple of squares..I have red and yellow in RHSS is that ok

Please pm me your addy...

My thoughts and prayers go out to the familes and other firefighters mourning this tragic loss.

Karen

I thought of that too but was concerned that if I limited it to a specific yarn then some may not contribute' date=' espiecially if they didnt have it in their stash. I will probably be using caron ss just because it is what I have on hand. Do you think they will mix ok if I block the squares? Or if they are all edged in the same type of yarn?[/quote']

I think if they are all edged and joined with the same type of yarn it will be fine.

I also have some red in RHSS that I can make up a couple of squares with.

we are doing 8" squares right? and how many are you going to be needing?

my heart goes out to the familys:(

send me your address please

hugs,

sissie

Hi everyone' date='

I am going to try to do a square with each of the firefighters names in it for the afghan but I have never done a graph before. Would anyone be able to help me figure out how to go about designing a graph?

THanks![/quote']

I'm not good enough to help with the graph, but there are at least two other ways you could do the names if you'd rather.

One is to cross-stitch the names onto a square of single crochet.

The other method involves inserting your hook through the background, pulling up a loop, inserting the hook and pulling it up through the loop you made. I looked for a tutorial on this, and can't find it. I know I've seen it done here, though.

Please PM me your address. My DH is a firefighter, and I'll be glad to contribute.

Judy

I can send you red, gold, & yellow squares hun. PM me your addy.

What a shame. This is truly a tragedy. I have a brother who is a liutenent in the Waldwick NJ FD. Plus, my dad retired from the same dept. It kills me inside everytime I hear of a loss. I will pray for the families that God can help them get thru this.

Archived