Scrap afghan question--uneven edges?

Reba

Question

I have a quick question about a scrap afghan I'm planning; I wanted to ask it before I get started, so I don't have to frog a bunch of my work.

I'm planning a scrap afghan, using the remains of different yarns I have lying around. I really like the idea of using yarns of different textures and weights, but how do I address the changing gauge issue? If I use the same number of stitches in every row (regardless of what type of yarn I'm using), won't the edges come out uneven? Will I have to eyeball it? Should I just work three or so strands of regular yarn together? I'm planning on doing a really simple pattern, maybe just SC the whole way (if you have any suggestions about that, I'll love you forever).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

4 answers to this question

I'm a new crocheter, so I have no idea how to block LOL! A border is a good idea, though--maybe something kind of ruffly.

I do have one more question, though. I don't want each row of the afghan to be just one color, I want to be able to change colors mid-row to make the afghan really funkydelic. How do I change the yarns, though? Should I just knot them together, or will it be secure enough if I just work each new yarn in?

Archived