Question for all you people in crochet circles/groups

how do you get people to know about your group? I don't know any other people (in person) who crochet, knit, or craft in general. I'm 20 so maybe its a generational thing. I want to get a group of people together to craft for the Children's Hospital. Not necessarily just crocheting, I mean anyone can do no sew fleece blankets. I called the high school to see if maybe I could get the kids involved, but no luck there :(. So any tips or tricks to get people involved? I don't belong to a church, so can't really post anything on a church bullitin board either.

Any input would be appreciated!

Krystal

You could also try making a Yahoo group for people in your area, or posting a flyer at places like Starbucks or Panera Bread (I actually saw such a flyer at panera bread). And no, it isn't a generational thing...I am 28 and I crochet, and I crocheted when I was in college and when I was in high school. You just have to go places where other people your age go and post flyers and the like.

There was recently a posting on our local craig's list. I answered that, so maybe that is an idea for you.

I second Craigslist. I've set up meetings with it, sold excess tickets, sold a houseful of furniture, gave away free junk (2 rusty bicycles got over 20 offers), and rented a beach condo.

You could check at the following places:

-local community college art dept. (mine has quilting and crafts and sometimes they have needlework)

-local yarn shops

-Wal-Mart craft/ fabric dept.

- local craft stores:; Michaels, Hobby Lobby, AC Moore, Joann's and small businesses

Be very careful about posting at retail stores on their bulletin boards. There are so many creeep-o's out there.

Another thing with posting flyers - you might want to create an email address for people to contact you on (not your regular address) and you would definitely want to have the first meeting in a public place, not at your home or anything. Others are right, there are a lot of weirdos out there.

Good luck!

Talk with your local library or community center to see if they have space available and if so, what the cost is. If the intent is to create charity items, it's possible the space may be donated as well. Or do get togethers on a rotating location basis. If it's planned to be nice out, get together in a park. Got coffee fans, how about a local coffee house.

I can't speak for everywhere, but the libraries here have a meeting room that you can "check out" for a time period like you would a book (you just can't take it home w/ ya, hehe). That may be an idea to look into.

-another might be to contact the local community college.

- a few local restaurants might also be interested. When i used to belong to an SCA group, we would meet at a local chinese restaurant. The owner was always welcoming to us, and we tried to have the meetins at slower times for him so we didn't disturb his normal business.

-One of the local Hardee's (not promoting that specific business, it's just the 1 here that had it ) would have a day once a week where a group of older people could come and play bingo/chat/etc. 1 problem i had was my mother and i went to eat at the rest, my mom is hard of hearing, and a member of their group told me to "shut up" when I was trying to ask my mom something. so, always remember courtesy to the other patrons (not that your group wouldn't be).

-parks

-elks lodge, moose lodge, might work also

-rotary clubs,

-craft stores (jo anns might let you if they have room)

just a few ideas, and i wish you luck w/ it :)

Sandy

These are some great ideas! I just thought... I'm going to do a craft fair soon, and when I do one in my area, maybe I can post flyers for anyone who comes to my booth saying "I crochet, but love your stuff!" and then get more people. I love doing things for charity, and it's fun to socialize with others. You MIGHT check on crochetville, the seeking local crocheters section. Who knows, there might be someone on here that you could visit with! :)

Good luck!

Victoria

I am going to be having a craft night in my area soon. They already do a Friday "Stitch N' Bitch", but that doesn't work for people who actually work around here. So, mine will be on a weeknight. Probably a Tuesday as I don't want to interfere with church, or have it interfere with my group. There is always a bulletin board outside of places like Kroger, Winn Dixie, or whatever your local grocery store is. Place a nice size add there. Also, make sure you talk to the local librarian, and see if you can post a bulletin in the library itself. Many many people who read, also do crafts, so that hits on a wonderful amount of people. If you can get them to let you have your first get together in the library on a late night, that would let you get to know the people you might be inviting in to your home later. Just some thoughts.

Blessed Be.

Another way is to have a small article about the group in your local newspaper. Usually, they have a section that pertains to all the local stuff going on. It's a simple formula to write something up. Basically, it's the who, what, where, when and why questions answered in a simple format.

My husband is in advertising and says this is a good way to write up these types of things.

And also, don't be excluding anyone because of age. I belong to a group that meets on Friday mornings for Charity works at my church. I am the youngest, (in my late 40's) but it doesn't matter. You will learn so much from the others by listening to what they have to say. We talk about everything, and I now know what repair shops to stay away from, what car dealers are good, where to take my drycleaning, etc. They are just a bowl of knowledge.

Our group is both for crochet and knitting. It can really help if someone gets stuck on a project, so we help each other.

Does the hospital have a website or a newsletter that goes out? You could possibly advertise in there. They may also have a group of "Friends of the _______Hospital" group that does fundraising, etc. They may be able to help you get people together.

Good luck in getting a group together.

:manyheart

wow, eyrthmother1 those are all great ideas!! Thanks so much for all your wonderful input. and I didn't mean to come across as I only wanted "young" people (who gets to judge whats young anyway? lol) I made a point to write on the flyer that all ages are welcome. I'll be posting them around town tomorrow then I'm planning on taking names and numbers and probably having the meeting in about a month.

Go into the web search and look for meetups and see if they have these in your area. Major cities have them. You could start one, or join one that is there. You could also go to your local Hospital and ask to speak to the volunteer coordinator. She may have some women already meeting there to make things for babies, or you could start a group.

Archived