Haw Frost Shawl Cardigan

hjeidi

Haw frost is thick and fluffy and looks like snow has fallen ... this yarn reminded me of that especially with the metallic threads. I love making shawl cardigans - they are sooo quick and simple :crocheting

It was supposed to snow this weekend and I hoped to take a picture in the snow ... but the weather seems to be restricted to sleet and giant hailstones :( so I gave up and took a quick picture in a break between hail.

haw%20frost%2001.jpeg

Instructions and pattern + more pictures here:

http://heidiwalsh.pbwiki.com/Haw++Frost+Shawl+Cardigan

Heidi

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is so beautiful... but after reading the pattern what is a dip and a trough ?

The stitch is ripple stitch which ends up with peaks and troughs (or peaks and dips ... I should have been more consistent!! :think)

The pattern ends up looking like:

/\/\/\/\/\/\

/\/\/\/\/\/\

A trough/dip is the bit where the pattern goes down - you can see them easily after about 3 rows. It forms where you tr, sk 2, tr on each row.

The peaks are the bits where the pattern goes up. They form where you (tr, 2ch, tr) into the same place on each row.

Heidi

Wow thank you for being so generous.

I can not wear real wool , could you please tell me , could I sub it with a soft chunky wool that is 5 ply

I sub the pattern quite frequently - as long as the yarn crochets to a similar tension you should be fine. The length per 50g is one of the key indicators I use to work out whether or not the wool will substitute ok and then an eye on the overall dimensions to work out where to create the armholes.

Heidi

I can't wear wool at all. And it's too hot here in TX to have such a chunky warm shawl cardigan. What do you think about a much lighter weight yarn?

Would that work too for this pattern?

I can't wear wool at all. And it's too hot here in TX to have such a chunky warm shawl cardigan. What do you think about a much lighter weight yarn?

Would that work too for this pattern?

I'm making one in cotton at the moment ready for summer ... if you wait a short while I will post it and the pattern.

Really you can use any yarn and stitch pattern simply by creating three rectangles to roughly the sizes given, sewing together with gaps for armholes, and then adding arms.

Heidi

Archived