What might they be called? and do you have a pattern?

shelly_bean

Question

I'm watching the Tudors right now and the girls are wearing little caps that cover just the back of the head. I have no clue how to begin a search since I don't know what they are called. Any help? TIA

edit: the one i saw wasn't a circle but like a triangle/rectangle with little pearls ( if that helps)

7 answers to this question

they are called hoods, they were very popular in france, spain and England in the era of King Henry the 8th. they used to cover the entire head up the hairline, but around the time of Anne Boylen she would where them in the french style (pulled way back to the "crown" of her head, and thus the style was altered to that of the current queen. they can be made boxy, winged or rounded.

I think she meant to say snood not hood :)

If you do a google search you will find them :)

Hugs

Kath

no I meant Hood, in any of my historical costume design books they are called hoods, hood is the american term used by american designers while snood is by english designers, there has been contravorsy over this.... but hood is the more commonly used tern even among the English.:yes

sadly no, but those are pretty cute. I am trying to see if i can find a pic of what i am talking about, but i can't seem to find one. shucks

Archived