Scarf-How long and add fringe or not?

crochet-addict

This is my 1st time making a scarf :eek weird I know! I am using the Crazy stitch(I love this stitch!) and Caron SS Brites. But I have no idea how long it should be, I personally have never worn scarves. So what do you ladies think?

Also should I add a fringe, and how would I go about doing that?

The picture isnt the best quality, I dont think my camara likes the mango color very much.

101_1366.jpg

Okay 1 more question and then I'm done I promise!

I'm planning to make a bunch of these to sell at a craft sale, any ideas as to how much to charge?

:manyheart Thanks in Advance!!

I make my scarves five feet long.

As for fringe, well, I hate putting fringe on anything so I don't usually put it on scarves. But I admit most scarves look pretty naked without fringe.

I am also making a bunch for a craft show in November. I was thinking of charging $8 each. But that's just my own humble opinion. Perhaps others here will have a better feel for how much a scarf should sell for.

I usually decided on adding fringe when I'm finished and then it usually depends on how long it is...I usually drape it around myself and make it how long I would like to wear it...but if you are selling them I would make a couple different varieties just to spice things up a bit. I also look at the width when I'm deciding length, usually if it is thicker then I make it shorter...Hope this helps!

I like fringe on my scarves. The tedious part for me is not putting it on the scarves but cutting all the peices of yarn to make the fringe itself-- I usually use my daughter and neice for this!!!

You could do some of each and see what sells, then if one does better than the other either add or remove fringe accordingly. Its not difficult to add or take away the fringe.

For cost here is what I would do:

No fringe $8-10

With fringe $10-12

5 -8 feet, depending on style. I try to have different lengths, some people like them long, some short. I do try to make sure that they are long enough to double wrap, and I just try them on till it feels right.

I've seen scarves from $6-40 depending on the maker, style, and yarn. I personally for acrylic like caron ss charge about $12 for something basic. For a fancier stitch I might to a bit more. A freind of mine bought one for $40 at a craft show, and I think it was worth every penny it was lime green and hot pink with homespun, fun fur, boa ect yarns worked in sections. Look at how long it is taking you to, how much are making an hour, is that worth it to you?

I really like the crazy stitch, too.

I don't care for fringe, myself, but I make things for other people, so whatever they want is what I make.

On price, I agree with others here - if it's more tedious, charge more for fringe.

That's going to be very pretty. I like fringe myself, but that one would still look wonderful without it too. I pretty much agree with the others about prices. It varies with how much work it took, type of yarn, length, all that stuff.

Just using a skein as a ballpark figure, would you say one skein of CSS makes a complete scarf (minus fringe)? I made my first scarf recently and didn't use the entire skein. Now I'm thinking the scarf might be too short.

I make them around 50 to 60 inches and do not put fringe. Not fond of fringe at all. There are neat things you can do to the bottoms such as square off, point end, gathered end depending on yarn. $8 up depending on yarn and where you are selling it. Good luck on the craft sale. What is the crazy stitch?? Looks beautiful.

That pattern calls for 56 strands, 15 inches long & 4 strands in each "hole" at either end. (7 "holes on each end) I did all three I made that way and it looked great. I thought it looked rather naked without fringe. Not to mention, on your foundation row end it is "flat" & on the other end it is "zigzag" because of the stitch used.

I also think that pattern calls for it to be 56 inches long. I know you wouldn't think that a couple of inches would make a difference, but I made my first one 58 inches by accident & just left it that way...when I made the next one, I only made it 56 inches and I really believe that the first one came out a lot better.

I know you've already gotten a lot of feedback. Hope I helped some. Happy Hookin'!!! :crocheting

Archived