Wet Blocking

monael

Question

Hello everyone!

I really need help. I have never wet blocked anything. I don't usually block as I have previously not done any patterns that really require it, except some squares that needed a little steaming to shape up for afghans.

Anyways, I am currently crocheting this:

www.stitchdiva.com/Produc...id=SDS-005

It REALLY needs to be wet blocked - and I don't know how to do it! I know I need to find some rust free pins, but I don't know what to pin it to? I don't have anything handy that seems like it would work. Are there special boards to buy that I can pin it to? Or what? And also, do I have to wet block the whole thing at once or can I do it in sections? Any other pointers or gotchas I should know about?

8 answers to this question

I am not at all an expert on blocking, but I'll share what I use:

I use thick foam board that I picked up at my local craft store. It's usually in the section with the kid's school project posterboard and such and is often labelled "Foam Presentation Board." I think it's about 1" thick and about 3.5'x2'.

I use T-pins -- they're actually quilting pins, so they're in the sewing section -- look for the ones that are stainless. The nickel-plated ones has the nickel flake off eventually and then they start to rust. Toothpicks also work, but I prefer the T-pins. They're thicker and easier to push in and pull out.

I'd try to block in sections for something like that, though I'm not sure how well it will work (when I do large objects piecemeal, I block each piece and then put them together). Not sure if that will help you, though.

Hope this helps + hope someone else comes in with advice! :)

-jess

Wet blocking is when you immerse the garment in water, shape it on a blocking board to the dimensions you want, pin it down and allow to dry. After you wet the garment you might want to remove excess water by rolling it up in a towel. DO NOT wring it out!

I absolutely *ADORE* that jacket!! I'd really like to see a pic of your finished product :D!

Thanks for the replies! I am going to check out the craft stores for a suitable board. The jacket is crocheted in one piece, there are no pieces to sew together afterwards, so I guess that means that I should block it all at once?

I will try to post pics when I am done. (I am not really sure how, guess I will have to find out)

After a garment has been blocked, do you have to re-block it after washing it? Or does it keep the shape after that?

It IS a nice one, isn't it? I used Filatura Di Crosa Brilla yarn.

I am a little nervous about it. The crochet part is not hard at all. The pattern so far is very easy to follow. The blocking is what is scaring me. Does it hold the shape from blocking after washing? And making sure that I measure it correctly and block it the right size-can I reblock it if I need to? I guess I will just have to take the plunge and see how it goes

:shrug

Wow! That is awsome! :wowdrool You have to followup with us on that one. We want details of how it wears, how it blocked, how long it took, was the pattern sizing good... I bookmarked that pattern!

Stitchinpick

Archived