crocheted tankini -am i crazy!

curell5

Question

Hmmm... I have a problem! I am looking for a bathing suit to take on my cruise with me in a few weeks. I have a terrible issue - my body!

My "girls" are huge and my hips and waist are about the same size. (just in case I have caused confusion, my girls are my breasts - not really sure what terms I can use here!) That makes it very hard to find a suit that fits everywhere. I thought that maybe my solution would be to make one. How about custom-fit!!

I refuse to wear a top that doesn't cover most of my belly, though. I would not be opposed to an open back, however. I have a copy of The Happy Hooker and there is a tank top in there that is really cute. My question is, would that be too much material that would end up hanging off my body? My thoughts were, if the back is open, then there wouldn't be any rolling up that is typical of store tankinis on me. (the "waist" issue) Unsightly crochet hanging and sagging off my body wouldn't be any prettier than a rolled up top! I could go with a one piece, but that really stinks when you gotta go! (potty!)

Sooo, would it be ridiculous to try to crochet - and swim! - in a tankini? I just don't know how practical it would be. If you ladies think it would work, can you also give me some yarn and pattern suggestions? Heck! If you know where to buy a tankini that isn't going to roll up to under my "girls", I would rather buy one!!!!!! :P

11 answers to this question

I just had a thought. If I wear a store bikini top, but crochet a open weave tank to wear over it, what would that look like. You can tell me if it is a tacky idea. I'll blame it on being past my bedtime. (yes, I know it is only 10pm here - I have to wake up at 5:30 to get my girls ready for school!)

I assume your last application of "girls" means your daughters! :wink

I think that idea would be fine. I understand the difficulty with swimwear not fitting right. It's a frustration. I'm sure anything you make will look great.

I think the second idea would be more practical than trying to crochet the whole suit. I'd be afraid it would stretch and take forever to dry. An open weave tank made out of cotton sounds like a cute idea, kind of a suit and cover-up in one.

Over on crochet poet ( http://www.myhq.com/public/c/r/crochetpoet/ )they have patterns for swimwear, one called for a certain type of yarn that was stretchy...I don't have the pattern anymore (it was a bikini, I think the one with a capri/bandeau top) or I could tell you what the yarn is...it seemed like it was made just for swimwear (cotton/nylon blend). Maybe you can still find it? Maybe someone else will know what yarn I'm talking about and if it still exists. Hope this helps someone a bit. :)

I have similar issues and I wear a lands end tankini, actually it is the sport one that has swim shorts for bottoms and a tankini top. When I want a bit more coverage I wear a rashguard shirt. They are a water shirt designed to get wet, dry quick and they have spf protection in them. I love the rashguard with water shorts and wore that quite a bit on my cruise.

I can neither wear a bikini nor a tankini, but I have neices who can. Last year they both bought rather expensive crocheted bathing suits made from cotton. The suits really soaked up alot of water when wet and became very heavy, droopy and uncomfortable to wear.....even slipping off underwater!:eek They both say they will NEVER buy a crocheted bathing suit again....Sorry, just thought you should know. I would stick to a really great cover up if you want to crochet something! I am very FLUFFY myself, and I usually find my swimwear in plus size catalogues....I've see things called skirtinis. I don't think I can list the names here, they are a bit pricey.......but the quality is great!

Yes, aflute5, the last mention of my "girls" were actually my daughters!! How funny are you!!!

I came to my senses about crocheting myself a tankini. I decided to go spend A LOT of money at one of those places that actually do the shopping for you and pick out a suit according to your shape. As long as I didn't look at the price tags, the experience was great. I now have a suit that shouldn't roll up my tummy and settle in under my GIRLS!:D

I do think I will get some yarn and make a cover up. Hmmm. I leave Monday and I am still working on a beautiful Sweet Pea (I only have three shell rows completed!) I work best under pressure, though. I actually finished a shawl on my way to the theater!

Instead of cleaning my house, I am going to go check out some coverup patterns! Any yarn suggestions for coverups?:hook

It's actually very easy to go to the bathroom in a one piece. As a former swimmer, I know all the tricks :D You do not have to pull down the suit at all. It involves squatting and moving the suit to the side.... ;)

Ok! now everyone is educated!

Archived