blocking over kill on doilies?

Buggie4beads

I just finished a PK doily and blocked it.

I have a tad over 300 pins in it. OVER KILL? I Have never seen others who post pictures of blocked doilies.

I wonder if any of you have pictures to share so I have a idea of how I am suppose to block them the right way.

Thanks

Brenda

Picture coming tomorrow Of the Pk Doily

If there are 300 places on the doily that you want to get just right, then it will take 300 pins. ;) I've never counted my pins, but sometimes there are so many little loops, points, picots, scallops, edges to try to get straight, etc., it looks like a forest of pins. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you have enough pins and the patience to work with it, I don't think there is a "wrong" way to pin out a doily.

I never count my pins when I'm putting them in :eek , but sometimes I count them when I take them out. I routinely use 150 + pins for even smallish doilies, and I've used well over 200 in some cases, so 300 doesn't really seem excessive to me--it seems very possible for some kinds of doilies.

I usually allow myself a good half-hour to pin out a doily. :lol

I don't think 300 pins is excessive. I don't count mine, but I just recently blocked a doily that had many sets of 3 picots around the outer edge. I had originally only put pins in the center picots, but as I was pinning, decided that those other picots needed pinning too; otherwise, they wouldn't have been as pointy.

I use what ever it takes to get the doily just right. If it takes over 300, so be it. I have at least 500 pins available to me to use for blocking, But I have never counted what I use on a given doily. It's kind of like counting how many stitches are in a rnd. Doesn't really matter if it gets the job done......

Can someone give me some blocking how-tos?

I pin my doily, then spritz it with water. Is this the right way?

I use stainless steel pins, but just recently noticed they are leaving stains. Any thought as to why that would be?

Thanks

Dianna

I dampen the doily, then pin. Stainless steel will rust, believe it or not, and (I think) react with starch. I used to use my old sewing pins, which probably had the plating scratched off. Since I bought some rust-proof nickel-coated pins for doily blocking and kept them separate from my sewing pins, I haven't had any problems.

I use lots (and I mean lots) of nickel-plated pins, pin it in place, then spray it with water and let it dry. I think it gives great results (but maybe I'm biased). ;)

Mimi, your blocking is immaculate! I think it was your blocking which sold me on Calla Lily — I rarely see another of these which looks as good as I think yours does. I'm glad you weighed in on this thread, giving a tip about your method.

I like to wash my doilies in warm water and a very mild soap to remove body oils from the fibers. Then I pin out and if I desire I may spray with spray starch. Don't always depends on the doily and where it will be used. Then I just let dry thoroughly.

I only recently started blocking anything. I was always afraid to get the doily wet. Well I am over that now. I will wash mine with warm water and baby bath then roll ina towel to get out excess then pin to my cork "wall" to keep the cats off of them. I have used upwards of 200 pins for some PK doilies to get the picot stitches just right.

ouch ouch 300! now if that doesnt send me on a guilt trip, what will :D i'll let u in on a secret -- i hardly ever block my doilies ( oh yeah and it shows too :( ) i only iron them , sometimes spraying on some starch as well . i admire your ( and all the other 200 + pinners' ) patience .** big bow **

really_lazy_lucy

Archived