Loopi.....Sheep Measuring Tape

diamond

From this:

dscn02443vh.th.jpg

To this:

loopi0lf.th.jpg

Images are clickable for larger viewing.

I have one of those store bought sheep measuring tapes. Was bored with making anything 'normal' today, even thought about working on one of my WIPs....took out my Guardian Angel Afghan and was looking at all those loops done and thinking about all the loops I needed to make. Then got to wondering how big this afghan already is....so took out my trusy sheep measuring tape and looked at those loops....and looked at the sheep measuring tape.....then dug for my spare measuring tape..you know the kind....cost less than a buck at Michael's...even the grocery store carries them.....and Loopi is the result!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deneen....how did I know you would want a pattern???? :devil There will be a pattern in the next day or so. It's written on paper, roughly. I just have to type it and post it. There will be a photo tutorial on the 'Loop Stitch' as well. I actually took the time to take pictures step-by-step of how to do the loop stitch, which is mostly how Loopi (and hence his name) is made.

:2sheep Don't forget functional....he is afterall a measuring tape! Tape comes out his hiney! :1sheep

Thanks for using the word hiney :eek My seven year old is in here, of course reading over my shoulder. So now her and her siblings are singing, "I see your hiney, it's nice and shiney and when you giggle, I see it wiggle." :loco

Love the tape :) Donna

How adorable! I always want to get the black one in the shipment at by LYS, but never seem to get there before it is sold...now I am going to make my OWN black sheep! Looking forward to the pattern!:hook

Coralie....although I did do this using the loop stitch, it was a bit difficult because I didn't want a 2-3 inch loop which most patterns call for....the length of your pointing finger. I bent my finger over so the yarn was only about an inch long, it took a bit to figure out how I could keep my tension, hold the yarn on my pointing finger and hold all the pieces together while I did the stitch. That's when I got the idea to take pictures while I was doing it. So if you can imagine, bending my finger over so the yarn was only about an inch long, it took a bit to figure out how I could keep my tension, hold the yarn on my pointing finger and hold all the pieces together while I did the stitch all while still finding a free hand to snap a picture! It was a feat all in itself. So if the pictures look a wee bit blurry or out of focus....you'll know why!

I must give you all the credit deserved for this inspiration. I was reading the "Wish Lists" and I noticed many of you have the Sheep Measuring Tape on your lists. I've had mine for years so did a search to see how much they were going for these days. Cheapest I saw were $9....I thought that was insane since the measuring tape is a dollar or less...so I came up with a way to crochet one with a little bit of stash and a round measuring tape which most have already. If not, like I said, you can get them anywhere....even the grocery store.

Yes, Sondra.....a Guardian Angel Afghan....the Angel's wings are all done in the loop stitch.....very effective too I might add! I'll post a picture of it as it is now probably tomorrow so you can see.

I Love love love love love Loopi! I have been wanting one of the sheepie measuring tapes and now thanks to you, I will be able to make one. I can't wait for you to post the pattern. Woo Hoo

Archived