Hi from Altoona PA

CampRN

Hello

I am so happy to have found this group. I have gotten back into crocheting after many years of absence and have found the boards to be very helpful. I have been working on prayer shawls and baby clothes for the most part.

I have always gotten my mother to start crocheting. My dad died in January and she was finding the nights to be very long. So I got her some yarn and a simple hat pattern and suggested she make some hats for the social ministry at church. That got her started and now she is working on afghans for her new grandchild and great grandchild due in the fall. Also one for herself. And she made a lapghan for the social ministry group. I am so happy she has something to occupy her in the evening.

Looking forward to chatting with all of you

Rose in Altoona Pa

Hello, Rose. I am a new member also and we are almost neighbors. Since moving to NW PA 30 some years ago I feel anything within 100 miles is local.

I am so glad your mother is responding well to crochet 'therapy'. My own Mom and I myself have used crochet to soothe anxiety and to focus concentration during times of stress. All that and to be able to share our colorful and creative efforts with others...just about a perfect activity.

Welcome to the ville Rose.

I'm sorry to hear of your Dad's passing.

Being there for your Mom is a good thing. She needs all the support she can get at this time.

My mom is having a tough time. I am lucky to live near her so can be there for her when she needs me. She and my dad had been married for nearly 50 yrs and it is really lonely for her. She has an apartment in a senior building and that helps--there a lots of people around and activities. But nights are tough. She is making it and my brothers and I are doing all we can to help. We all miss him.

Crocheting again has really helped her alot. And the money spent on the yarn is money well spent. She gets many hours of enjoyment out of making the items and they will go on to give enjoyment to the recipients. She presented some of the items to the head of social ministry group this week and she was so pleased with the feedback. It gave her spirits a real boost.

Rose in Altoona PA

I used to occasionally go to famous ice cream shop in Altoona in the 68-72 time frame. It was a renewal of the old soda shop idea. Can't remember the name, but it was delish.

Welcome to Crochetville.

Archived