How do you hold your hook?

Yeah, I've always held my hook like a knife - although I prefer calling it a spoon-hold now that I've heard that description!

I learned to crochet from Crochet Cabana 2 years ago, and it showed me both ways. I tried both and the knife hold felt the nicest.

I just began teaching my sister to crochet last week. I got her to hold the fabric I'd stitched up for her in her left hand, and hold the hook in her right hand and insert it into the first stitch (no silly business with holding yarn at the start), and lo and behold - she held it like a pencil. I got her to hold it like a spoon too, incase that was more comfortable. She thought I was crazy for holding it like that!

At least with her, it was a matter of what was more comfortable for her hand rather than how she was taught.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hold my hook the knife way too. I hadn't even seen anyone use the pencil hold until a few weeks ago. To me it seems like it takes longer. I'm a speedy crocheter with the knife hold.

^I wouldn't say that, I hold mine like a pencil and crochet pretty fast. Most people look at me and ask how I can do that so fast and I just tell them I've been doing it a long time.

It's not how you hold it that matters, or even your speed, we all crochet at different speeds whether we hold like a pencil or a spoon.

:frog

Archived