How do you hold your hook?

When I taught myself how to crochet in '98, I bought a kit that had the book, hooks, stitch markers, bobbins, etc. in the package. Well, in the book it showed me how to hold my hook. I hold it with my hand on top of the hook. I am comfortable this way. After I learned how to crochet this way I have seen people hold their hook kind of like a pencil. I tried it this way and there is absolutely no way I can crochet like that. So which way is the right way? Or is there no "right" way?????

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sort of self taught and I hold my hook the same way you do, like a knife I would use to cut into a steak. I always thought I was doing it wrong, but the other day I was sitting next to an elderly lady who held hers the exact same way!

Since then I've seen and online tutorial that shows both ways as right. I think that however you can get the job done is right.

There's no right way or wrong way.. whatever is comfy and gets the job done.

I prefer to call it the "toothbrush grip" over a "knife." I've tried the pencil grip, and I just can't do it!

I hold my hook like a pencil. My mom taught me when I was a teenager and it's just how I do it. Now if it's a 'tight' situation like crocheting around an object (nylon scrubbie for instance) then I switch to the spoon or toothbrush way. But there is no right or wrong way. Just however you were taught and most comfortable with.

My grandmother taught me to crochet and she taught me to hold it like a pencil. One day I walked into Great Yarns for some help with a project and the only crochet lady there held her hook like a knife. When I showed her how I crocheted, she said I was doing it wrong.

My mom's grandmother taught her how to crochet, and she uses the pencil grip. She taught my sister, who uses the same method.

I was taught by a former roommate and she used the knife or toothbrush grip, so that's how I learned.

Both my sister and my mom think my method is bizarre. :) I have tried to crochet using the pencil grip and I just can't do it. So I don't! ;)

When I started out crocheting, I just grabbed the hook like a knife and went to work. Unfortunately, the knife/toothbrush hold didn't agree with my wrist at ALL:eek and I wound up in severe pain. I changed over to the pencil hold immediately. Seems to work for me:)

I hold mine the knife way. Works great for me !

Both my sister and my mom think my method is bizarre.

well..... Montana Mommy......here is a suggestion for when they again say you are bizarre. Tell them....... well, I dont think you are bizarre for holding your hook the way you do! This is how I handle people who think I am weird for believing differently or for doing something differently. I just say... I dont think you are weird etc. Shuts em right up too!! LOL

I too use the knife/toothbrush/spoon grip. I tried the pencil grip once out of curiosity and it just didn't work. My mom uses the pencil grip. Of course, I don't hold the yarn the 'normal' way either so she thinks I crochet really funny. :hook

I hold my hook the pencil way unless I'm using a long hook or if I use my left hand. I don't get told I'm weird for that, but I've been told I don't hold my working yarn the right way.

I hold my hook like a pencil...and I am left-handed...I guess some people might say I am ALL messed up:hook! I have seen others doing it both ways, tried the spoon hold, but couldn't even get going with that!

I can use the pencil position, and occaisionally do, but I prefer the knife position. My aunts, who taught me to crochet, said that their Home Ec. teacher told them that pencil was the correct way, and tried to make them work that way. They, of course, ignored her. I thusly percieved the knife position to be better and there was no question to me that I would work that way. It really is more comfortable for me, though. I sometimes get writer's cramp working in the pencil position.

I am a pencil and always have been because my grandmother taught me that way, back in 1949. I guess it depends where you are comfortable and I dont think there is right or wrong, only the other way and my way.

What I would like to know is how you hold your thread with your left hand.

I hold mine between my thumb and index finger and use my middle finger as a tension spring, then the yarn wraps over the ring finger and under my little finger. My mum used to hold the yarn between her thumb and middle finger and used her index finger as the tension spring and crocheted close to her left thumb. I guess because she did not teach me to crochet, that will be why we did it differently. Mum is now 89 and has just stopped crocheting in the last 6mths. I am still putting some of her squares together into ponchos for her Great Grandchildren.

Colleen

I am left handed but learned to crochet from a right handed person. She tried to teach me to hold the hook like a pencil, but I just couldn't do it. So, I started holding it like I do my toothbrush (which I also do with my right hand...brush my teeth that is) and it all just started clicking. I am teaching my kids to crochet and they automatically started holding their hooks the same way. I say there is no "right or wrong" way as long as you are having fun, getting something done, and well...just crocheting!!!

I hold my yarn with just the yarn wrapped around my little finger for tension. I don't hold my index finger up either, I use it for holding the piece I'm working on. I tried putting the yarn over my index finger and holding it up, but my middle finger just doesn't want to do the work right.

BTW, I'm a knife holding person.

I hold my crochet hook like holding a pencil. I've tried holding it like holding a knife, but it's not comfortable for me that way.

I second Woven N Spun. I'm a lefty who does everything but write with my right hand. So if i were to use the pencil grip with any success I'd have to start crocheting left handed--the toothbrush way is jsut easier in my right hand!

I remember hearing somewhere that holding the hook like a pencil is more likely to cause carpel tunnel syndrom, but if that way is what your used to, go for it. It's really up to the individual. I hold mine like a knife because that is what suits me best.

Danielle ;)

I hold my hand over the top of the hook, with the knuckles tipped back or sideways. My cousin holds the hook with her hand completely over the top like she is jamming the hook into things, and a friend holds it like a pencil and seems like she only moves her fingers to get the hook in and out of chains.

I have tried other ways but can not change!! It may be "wrong", but it works for me.:yay

What I would like to know is how you hold your thread with your left hand.

I hold my yarn over my index finger, under the 3 middle fingers and over my pinky. That is the only way I am comfortable.

Thanks for answering everyone, the reason I asked the question is because I tried holding my hook like a pencil and I could not (AT ALL!!) grab the yarn with the hook. I guess it is because I am used to holding it the "knife" way. So I guess that everyone has their own way for their own reasons. Thanks everyone!

Archived