Laura Ingalls Wilder Doily Finally Finished!

birdlady1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful job! I also have this pattern but have not started it yet. It is on my list of to make; which is growing every day.. my husband says you will never make all those patterns that you have piled up there beside your chair. lol...

How wonderful that Piecework is publishing the pattern in its May/June 2008 magazine! I'm sure it will fly off the shelves.

I'm not sure what Laura Wilder's relationship is to the doily. The design is by Mary Card, an early 1900s Australian artist. If you google her name, you'll come up with some interesting sites. Many of her patterns have been reproduced and are available on eBay and other sites (www.yesterdazes.com for one).

Yes, I plan to frame it eventually. However, that is not a priority for me; getting a job and paying down my credit card etc are my immediate goals! Thanks for everyon'e s kudos. I'm fairly new to thread and am "hooked" on filet. As my signature indicates, I'm working on two thread projects now -- an infant girl's dress and a huge filet picture of a peacock.

That is incredible. I am in awe of your work. How long did it take you to do? :crocheting

I'm a slow crocheter. It took me two months. Thanks for the kudos! :hug I'm enjoying thread and filet more and more!

What a gorgeous filet piece! And I'm so glad they are reprinting it in Piecework. I'd never heard of that magazine until I saw the link here. I've been wanting a thread work magazine, but had to content myself with old copies of Magic Crochet and Old Time Crochet. I subscribed to Piecework immediately!

Now I have time to practice up on my filet work before the May/June issue arrives. :)

Hugs! Juli

Very nice. And to know that the original was created by someone as famous as Laura Ingalls Wilder is amazing.

Thanks so much for sharing it. It's beautiful.

:manyheart

It's really beautiful!!! I love that you made it with the dark blue instead of white or ecru. It really makes the birds & the dragonfly pop.

Thanks again, everyone! I appreciate the compliments. In turn, I have to thank Katchkan (Kathy) for inspiring my love of thread crochet. I hope everyone will consider crocheting this masterpiece since it's now available through Piecework magazine.

Archived