Laura Ingalls Wilder Doily Finally Finished!

birdlady1

Beautiful work and color. I too have that pattern but haven't attempted it yet. Was it difficult or just time consuming or both? Your work is wonderful.

It was just time-consuming. Chain, double, and single are the only stitches required. If you can blow up the pattern, you'll be better off because counting the blocks is really important. It's very easy to screw up.

Katchkan (Kathy) suggested using the extended double but I was afraid I'd run out of thread if I did. I used nearly three full 350-yard spools of #10 thread (DMC Traditions) using the standard double crochet stitch.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, this pattern does not appear to have been designed by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I couldn't say for sure without having both patterns side by side for comparison, but chances are very, very good that this is simply a doily Laura crocheted using a pattern designed by an Australian designer named Mary Card, who emigrated to the US at some point (1920s, early 1930s, I'm not sure). Mary Card had patterns published in both the US and Australia.

Actually, this pattern does not appear to have been designed by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I couldn't say for sure without having both patterns side by side for comparison, but chances are very, very good that this is simply a doily Laura crocheted using a pattern designed by an Australian designer named Mary Card, who emigrated to the US at some point (1920s, early 1930s, I'm not sure). Mary Card had patterns published in both the US and Australia.

Amy, is this pattern available anywhere then? Or, going back to the original thread, is it still under copyright protection and just not available?

Amy, is this pattern available anywhere then? Or, going back to the original thread, is it still under copyright protection and just not available?

At this point in time, I'm not sure of the answer to the copyright question. Many of here patterns were published in Needlecraft Magazine from 1918 through the 1930s. Some of the earlier patterns may be in the public domain by now. Some of the later ones may still be under copyright protection, if they were originally published with copyright notice and the copyright was renewed.

So far, I have not been able to identify WHEN this particular pattern was first published. If anybody has any original Mary Card pattern sheets/booklets and can verify this for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here's a link to an ebay auction that includes a Mary Card pattern similar to the one I'm labeling as a Wilder doily: http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Mary-Card-Collection-The-Lost-Cards-Volume-1926-cd_W0QQitemZ360016049599QQihZ023QQcategoryZ41233QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Scroll down. What do you think?

Archived