Seraphina Shawl Pattern by Doni

Amy

I'd like to make take this project with me on a trip I am about to take, but I am unsure of how much thread I will need. Does anyone know a good estimate for a fairly long Seraphina in no. 10 thread? How about if I use 2 strands? I would like to make it in graduated shades of red, and I have all the colors at home, but I am just not sure of the total amount needed. Does anyone have an idea? I don't want to be away from home and worrying about dye lots.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to save both sets of instructions for when I try this as a project. All of your beautiful shawls are an inspiration :)

Thank you so much Amy for clarifying all the instructions in such detail. You've explained everything so clearly. And thanks to the creator for allowing you to share this with us here :)

• 2 weeks later...
This looks familiar. Looks like the Seraphina to me.

http://www.craftmall.com/Splendor__Crochet_Shawl_product_9170.html

I don't think she should be claiming it as her own design. What do you think?

It looks like she's selling the finished item which she can't do online. And she does claim the pattern as her own. Maybe it's different, the pictures too small to really tell, but it does look the same. Well maybe not. The "points" do look like shells, but in between them look more open then the DC in Doni's shawl. And on my shawl they're kind of open (I crochet loose) but not that loose. So not sure... Without a clearer picture it's hard to tell--for me anyway.

Oh it's Doni's alright. I sent the link to Doni, and she e-mailed me & said she contacted the lady & said we'll see what happens.

It looks exactly like the one I made. It's a lighterweight yarn. What bothers me most is her claiming it as her design - she even named it something else. It's not right.

Doni's graciously allowed people to sell it with her express permission, and I think they should honor that, and give Doni the credit for the design.

p.s. another crochet buddy of mine contacted this person and gently informed her, but has had no response.

• 2 months later...

I did one last year for my sister. It was an MYC yarn, approx. 1200 ypp. I think I used about 2 to 2 1/2 skeins, less than a pound, but lotsa yarn! It was more like a thread, in a size 5 perhaps. Was so excited I forgot to get a pic. She is supposed to email me one soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you so much for posting a chart form of this pattern. It made it sooooo much easier for me to understand!! I have never crocheted using a chart, but now I know why some people swear by them.

One clarification in the pattern that helped me a LOT: After doing row 11, the pattern says to use the sequence for row 2 on row 12 and row 3 on row 13, etc. I found that confusing, but instead, I looked at the chart. When I did row 12, I just looked at row 8 on the chart. I used row 9 as a reference for row 13, and so on. This worked much better for me as I was better able to see how the pattern works.

Again, thanks a million! I appreciate the author sharing her pattern and for others who have worked to present it in other ways so that we can understand.

• 1 month later...

Better late than never. I have been crocheting for several years as most of you know but this was a great thing for me to find since I just started reading instructions. I am working on my first one for my Mom's Birthday. I am using a Rose Color yarn. I started last night and I think I am on row 11 or may 12.

Thanks for the wonderful instructions!:hugWhen I am finished with it I will post a pic since her birthday is Feb 1.:eek

Has anyone ever tried this shawl in sock-weight yarn? If so, do you remember the yardage required? I want to start one, but want to make sure I have enough yarn to finish.

• 1 month later...

I just started this today and I am using Duette hand dyed yarn that is a thin cotton chenille w/rayon. and a H hook. I hope I have enough yarn, I picked up 2 skeins with 440 yds in each one. but I guess I could order more if I run out.

Thank you for the chart, it makes this so simple,

Tena

I started this pattern today and I've finished row 11.Earlier I had tried this pattern so many times and always got confused.

Having the chart prodded me to start trying it again and I am already on Row 11:cheer

I am using Rainbow Boucle from Joann Pink

Has anyone ever tried this shawl in sock-weight yarn? If so, do you remember the yardage required? I want to start one, but want to make sure I have enough yarn to finish.

If you go to post #24, there is a list of different yarn usage.

Donna Marie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Row 2: Beg V-stitch, ch 1, dc in ch-1 space, dc in next 3 dc, (dc, ch 1, shell, ch 1, dc) in shell, ch 1, dc in next 3 dc, dc in ch-1 spaced, ch 1, V-stitch in 3rd chain of beg chain from previous row.

I think there's an error in this row. The ch 1 I've bolded seems wrong, since it doesn't match up with the other side. It's also not in the symbol chart.

I LOVE the simplified instructions, so thanks! Just want to make sure they're perfect. :)

Heather

Been a while since I have posted photos, so hopefully I will do this correctly.

3039766198_bd8830f656.jpg

I used a fiber called "Portrait" by Artful Yarns. It is lovely, but mohair really sheds a LOT!!

• 4 weeks later...

These are both very pretty shawls!!!

I love, love this pattern. Have made a couple. I am going to start one in thread here pretty soon. Also have some boulche (sp) yarn that I want to use to make one.

IMG_1928-2.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

Pictures of My shawl:cheer:c9:c9 thanks so so much for posting the chart and other helpful tips here.

Been a while since I have posted photos, so hopefully I will do this correctly.

3039766198_bd8830f656.jpg

I used a fiber called "Portrait" by Artful Yarns. It is lovely, but mohair really sheds a LOT!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived