Seraphina Shawl Pattern by Doni

Amy

So nice of you to share this with us! I gave Susanne from the 'Ville some Boucle to make one when we met in Vienna! - this link will make it so much easier and so much clearer to reference - much appreciated! Thanks!:cheer I love making them too :yay

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many thanks to you; now I need to try & get my hands on some Jo-Ann Sensations Rainbow Boucle Yarn as I love the seraphinas made up with this & coud use a snug shawl the weather here is miserably wet.

The directions are great, esp. when combined with the pics. I'm up to Row 10 and doing fine. I do have 2 questions though - are most people using an 'N' hook with WW yarn? I guess I should have known better... it looks OK but it's much.... airier? than I expected. All the finished shawls looked more... solid? than mine does. I kind of hate to think of frogging it. :-( About how many 'sequences' do you do on average (after row 14) if using say an 'L' hook?

I'm working on one in Joann's Blue Boulce. The striping this yarn has is so wonderful! I got the hang of the pattern really quick and just love it!:manyheart

I'm making one, too! Thank you, Doni and Amy! Is Doni one of "us" now?

I'm using Rainbow Sensations boucle in red with a K hook. I'm not crazy about this yarn-it's hard to see the stitches and it attracts cat hair, but the striping is gorgeous and well worth the effort. And it's on sale this week at JoAnn's.

For newbies: I HIGHLY recommend practicing with regular ww yarn so that you can see the stiches clearly.

An N is going to make a much looser pattern. I'm making a spring weight one with baby yarn and an L hook. I'm sure yours will be beautiful and warm, just be a little extra careful about pulls on it.

I bought all the yarn for three seraphinas and then i looked at the comments about how hard it was and all the trouble crocheters were having and it made me lose my confidence that i could figure it out but I went ahead anyways and had no problems, but I think the chart helped lot!

Thank you for posting all these instructions! This is one I haven't tried yet.

I was wondering about the WW with an N hook. I think I crochet so lose that I could get by with a K hook.

Debbi

I crochet loosely and have made several with WW and a K hook.

If its particularly thicker WW I might grab my L.

Yes!!! I started and frogged this shawl three times last summer, granted I didn't get very far in each of the repeats. The streamlined directions are great. Hurray for making my own Seraphine shawl, finally!

shawl yarn usage:

Baby fingering H hook

15 balls Kroy sock yarn B or 2 mm hook—no fringe—90 rows

2 skeins plush 7.00 or K—No fringe

3 skeins plush J hook— No fringe

4 skeins plush variegated 4.5 oz

4 skeins Light and Lofty P hook

Thanks for giving me encouragment to try red heart with N hook..by george I got the pattern going finally!! it and it coming along just beautiful lacey and soft.:cheer

2-6 oz Red Heart yarn. N hook... really don't be afraid to try it lol

Thanks also for clarity of pattern dani and your little helpers too :D

the thing that helped me get this going was placing stitch markers at first on all the ch1's so I knew what was what for about 8 rows ..that is just me

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
shawl yarn usage:

Baby fingering H hook

15 balls Kroy sock yarn B or 2 mm hook—no fringe—90 rows

2 skeins plush 7.00 or K—No fringe

3 skeins plush J hook— No fringe

4 skeins plush variegated 4.5 oz

4 skeins Light and Lofty P hook

Thanks for giving me encouragment to try red heart with N hook..by george I got the pattern going finally!! it and it coming along just beautiful lacey and soft.:cheer

2-6 oz Red Heart yarn. N hook... really don't be afraid to try it lol

I'm using Red Heart WW and a J hook. I crochet loose. So far I'm on my 3rd skein, but it's past my elbows and I want it that way to cover up my arms on the sides so I can use the ends to wrap around me. I decided not to use the N hook since I do crochet loose.

Debbi

Archived