Seraphina Shawl Pattern by Doni

Amy

Can someone answer a quick question for a n00b to the Seraphina pattern? If I have the Sensations rainbow boucle, do I use the N hook as suggested by a previous poster or the K hook as suggested on the yarn package. I'm trying to get even stripes/shading. I've searched for pics but I can't tell what I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jen

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jen, you could really use either the K or the N hook, depending on your standard tension. You could make a small swatch with each and see which you like better.

I started this in the black/white Sensations rainbow boucle with a K size hook. It is a pretty loose airy stitch....(I've done about 3-4" and my stitch count is off)...I'm not sure I would like it in that yarn with an N size hook. I have an overall loose tension and I would be afraid it might be too open a stitch and catch easily. I'm going to work up a swatch of this in worsted weight yarn so I can better "SEE" the pattern develop. The repeat is not sticking in my head and I seem to have difficulty reading across the directions and maintaining my place. Frogged it a couple times and just when I thought I had it....my stitch count is off on one side. I set this aside until after Christmas.

• 5 months later...
shawl yarn usage:

Baby fingering H hook

15 balls Kroy sock yarn B or 2 mm hook—no fringe—90 rows

2 skeins plush 7.00 or K—No fringe

3 skeins plush J hook— No fringe

4 skeins plush variegated 4.5 oz

4 skeins Light and Lofty P hook

2-6 oz Red Heart yarn. N hook

3 Homespun K Hook

2 TLC Essentials K hook

3 ½ Wool ease Worsted K hook

4 skeins Soft Boucle -P hook

2/3 skein Sensations Rainbow Boucle K hook

Are these the yarn amounts? So for ILTY it would take similar to RH 2 6oz skeins and an N hook?

Has anyone used ILTY?

I wouldn't use an N hook with ILTY unless you were using 2 strands.

A lot of people use a bigger hook than called for for the yarn because the pattern has a tendency to ruffle and the looser stitch combined with the weight of the yarn can pull some of that out.

Doni and Amy graciously allowed me to post my version of the Seraphina here at the ville as well. Mine is a slightly tighter weave but it does lay flat when you use the appropriate hook for the yarn.

Stitch markers are your friends with patterns like these. They really helped me keep count. I made a huge one with a large skein of bernat worsted. Don't know how much yarn I used, it was awhile ago. The sock yarn ones are beautiful.

I wouldn't use an N hook with ILTY unless you were using 2 strands.

A lot of people use a bigger hook than called for for the yarn because the pattern has a tendency to ruffle and the looser stitch combined with the weight of the yarn can pull some of that out.

Doni and Amy graciously allowed me to post my version of the Seraphina here at the ville as well. Mine is a slightly tighter weave but it does lay flat when you use the appropriate hook for the yarn.

Can you link me to your version?

Of course. You can download the pdf also. (I'm loving the upgrades here!)

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123650&highlight=serafina

Amazing! Thanks so much!

I stopped at HL and bought 4 skeins of a beautiful variagated ILTY... I hope that's enough to make a good sized one.

Does it have to be blocked once its done?

Amazing! Thanks so much!

I stopped at HL and bought 4 skeins of a beautiful variagated ILTY... I hope that's enough to make a good sized one.

Does it have to be blocked once its done?

Not really, but its your preference. I do if I am giving it as a gift, but for myself not all the time. These shawls have nice drape to them, I have made four and a child size one a few years back.

• 4 months later...

Hi there! I'm new here and pretty new to crochet, but LOVED this shawl and went and bought the materials for it last night and started making it.

I've finished row nine, but I have a question after that. Do I just basically repeat row nine, and only add a dc after the BR, around each side of the shell, and before the ER? Do I add any more hdcv1 stitches anywhere, or increase the hdcv1s?

An example of what rows ten and eleven should look like would be VERY helpful, as I'm still learning. I've done a couple of rows after nine that look nice, but they don't like look your pictures (there aren't enough "points" around the edge).

Thanks in advance!!

• 4 months later...
Why has no one mentioned the fact that there are 2 rows marked as sequence row 1? Can someone help me, please?

I have not made this pattern, but in other patterns i have done, this kind of thing is naming the row, which will be repeated again later. Taking a quick look at it i believe this pattern is doing that. Both rows labeled sequence row 1 look the same to me, one just has some extra explanation added.

Yes. Thank you. I knew they were naming the rows for repeats, but was confused about the two sequence row 1's. You sure they are the same?

No, like i said i just took a quick look. They SHOULD be the same since they are both seq row 1. Maybe write out both of them and compare.

I am not sure why there are two marked as sequence row 1 but I can tell you I followed along and eventually got the 'rhythm' to the pattern. Once you do that, it is easy.

I used Lion Brand Homespun, which was a bear to get use to, but it is soft, warm and beautiful. Best of all, it hides all kinds of mistakes. :)

I finished this shawl about a week ago and now need to make one for Mom. I love this pattern. I used Homespun yarn, which was difficult to work with but well worth it. The next is going to be with yarn from mill ends. I love mill ends.

• 4 months later...

I'm quite new to crocheting. I've taught myself last year how to make scarves and hats (some with kitty ear), this year I have learned how to make a star throw as well as a stained glass window throw. But I find it easier to learn how to make anything by watching someone do it first. I tried reading the direction's for this shawl and managed to make a huge yarn mess that didn't look anything like the picture's. Is there any chance anyone knows of a video tutorial or willing to make one?

• 1 month later...
Is there any chance anyone knows of a video tutorial or willing to make one?

The original pattern has tons of pictures. It helped me a lot. You can find it at: http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/donisfuff/croshawl.html

It isn't a video but she shows you step by step what she is doing with photos.

• 6 months later...

Archived