Joann Stores

chickpea67

Call me retarded--

But do the normal Joann stores have string? I used to live near a superstore nad KNOW they do but I've not been in a regular Joanns since getting into crocheting?

How is their stock? Is Michael's better?

string?

Your mileage may vary at your JoAnn's. They have different stock than Michaels (for example they carry LB Cotton-Ease which most Michaels do not), but in my case, the JoAnn's has an awful yarn/crochet/knit section even compared to my Michaels (which also has an awful yarn section IMO).

But other people have really great JoAnn's, so it really depends. :)

Ooops, I think I just committed a crochet faux pas :) I meant YARN

hee! I just wondered if you meant twine or crochet thread or yarn. :)

I live near one small Joann's and work near another, and both have yarn and adequate crochet thread. Not that either is in HUGE supply but it's adequate. I notice I have not patience now and order exactly what I want/need off the internet :eek

I go to two Walmarts, two Joann's, two Michaels, and one Hobby Lobby. However I occasionally go to others.

They're all different sizes and all have different stuff or different colors of the same stuff.

So it just varies from store to store. Sometimes the little stores has more or different than the larger ones.

I was so frustrated because neither my Joann's or Michael's had a good selection of yarn, although my Michael's was better. We've since gotten a new Hobby Lobby and I stand in awe at the amount of yarn they are carrying.:hyper:faint

I didn't even know that some of these yarns were even being made. They are even still getting in more and more of their yarns and hope to fill up another whole row soon. :c9

Alright- thanks for the info. I'm still too new at this that I dont know what yarns are offered or would just buy em on the net. I too have been *severely* disappointed by the lack of yarn at Wal-Mart, and Michael's. I just moved from a town where tehy opened an AC Moore andnow nothing compares! I found a little Jo-Ann near me though and wondered if it was worth checking out while the hubby is out of town :)

My sister has enticed me to visit her though by mentioning that there is an AC Moore near by. She asked me to teach her how to crochet-but all of her stitches are so tight nad now matter how much I tell her she needs to loosen up it doesnt sink in.

So at least I can get yarn this weekend~! But I like to shop better when noone can look down on me for how much $$ I spend on yarn!

I get most all my yarn at Walmart. I have a Joanne's across the street from me and it's awful! One little teeny tiny row of yarn with a grand total of *maybe* 6-10 colors. So I tried Michael's which is a half hour from me...same story. In fact, I won't go back there. I thought it was great if you quilt, or sew, or do anything other than knit or crochet. I do like Ben Franklin's, though. But I recently found out about 3 places near where I live that I want to check...The Elegant Ewe, The Yarn Shop and Fibres and Patternworks. I figure anywhere has to be better than where I've been going as far as selection.

It's too bad all Jo-Ann's aren't superstores... I work in a superstore, and our yarn department is pretty decent. I can see how a traditional store wouldn't offer as much, though.

I just moved from a town where tehy opened an AC Moore andnow nothing compares!

I think my local AC Moore is the reason why my Michaels and JoAnns are so awful. Also my Michaels and JoAnn are right next to one another.

I think my local AC Moore is the reason why my Michaels and JoAnns are so awful. Also my Michaels and JoAnn are right next to one another.

*l* I found a Michael's right next to a Joann's in Sterling and that's where I planned to go tonight-- now I guess I won't thanks!

When will be getting these Hobby Lobby's? They're everywhere but the West coast and the North East. Vriginia has one opening in Danville- but I have no bloody clue where that is!

...and don't even get me started on the lack of crochet books at Borders, Barnes and Noble and the Library!!

Ok..too late. I went to look for baby blanket books this weekend. Tons of books on quilting, cross-stitching and knitting. I don't think Borders had more than 5 books on crocheting. So I tried Barnes and Noble--a little better but still not the one I was looking for. I know I can get all this stuff online but I'm not going to buy a book when I can't see what's in it. There are a lot of crappy books out there and I'm not going to waste my money on a book I hate--hehe especially with a long yarn wish list! :hook

I live really close to 2 very new JoAnn Super Stores (both opened in the last year or so) and I think their yarn selection stinks! Yes, they have several aisles full of yarn, but they are almost always out of a lot of yarn and the selection is just not very good. Michael's is no better. Their yarn selection is even worse. We don't have AC Moore or Hobby Lobby around here, so the only other choice is Wal-Mart. Their prices are pretty good, but poor selection. The good thing about JoAnn is the coupons, but I get most of my yarn off the internet.

When will be getting these Hobby Lobby's? They're everywhere but the West coast and the North East. Vriginia has one opening in Danville- but I have no bloody clue where that is!

I used to go to Hobby Lobby when I lived in GA. I wasn't working with fiber much then, so I don't remember what it was like!

Danville is in south-central VA, just over the NC line. A bit far... ;)

Archived