Testing CLOSED for teddy bear pattern. Look HERE for update!!!!

Testing has officially closed. Any testers who are still working on pattern and need help can still contact me via pm. If any tester wants their picture added to the pattern page, contact me via pm and I will add it.

THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANYONE WHO WANTS THE FINISHED PATTERN, PLEASE GO TO MY WEB SITE. IT'S FREE.

REDPUPPYDOG'S WEBSITE

*******UPDATE**********

A size G hook was used on pattern. This is a 4.25 mm hook for those whose hooks come in mm instead of sizes.

Testing Time has been extended to two weeks to accommodate everyone.

Any further updates will be posted here.

Thanks again everyone!

----------------------

After 6 months of struggle, re-write, and re-design, I think I finally created a workable pattern for a teddy bear. The basic ideal is to make a bear with the body, head, and muzzle all one piece. It hasn't been easy. So, I need some expert testers to test-drive this bugger. o.k? I'm pretty sure there are errors in the stitch counts, round counts, and maybe some other bugs I'm not aware of. Most of the trouble is around the head/muzzle. :eek

Here's a picture:

018.jpg

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED! :) I look forward to seeing how it turns out. :)

Aawweee, wish I had the time right now but I have too many things going that I have to get done for the fair. Hubby reminded me how fast time is ticking so I need to economize my time.

Hope you get all your testers soon since this little fella is tempting.

I'm testing another pattern right now. Will see how long it takes and if I get it done soon enough I will PM you and give it a shot if you still need testers. He looks great.

what size yarn and hook? Is it really hard? Ive never tested a pattern what do I do?

To answer your questions:

I used worsted weight yarn and a G hook.

I think its easy to do and hard to explain. Really depends on your skill level.

If you want to test, check your private message box, and follow the instructions I sent you.

:) thanks much.

On the arms and legs, the first sentence reads:

round 1: 6 sc in the ring.

This is wrong!

The correct version is:

Ch. 2.

round 1: 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook.

Both arms and legs have 10 rounds. The (12) refers to the stitch count.

Oh dear. Seems everyone is having the exact same problem! This must be due to my error in the pattern. Let me see if I can fix this trouble!

19: sc inc around. do 2 sc in each sc around. 20 sc total.

20: 2 sc in 1st sc, 1 sc in next 1 sc around, 2 sc in last sc. Most everyone caught this error, the stitch count would indeed be 31 NOT 32.

21: 2 SC IN 1ST SC. 1 sc in each of next 2 sc. around. The stitch count is 42. NOT 24! Sorry for the number flipping!!!!!

22: sc around. one sc in each sc around. the stitch count should still be 42.

23: completely wrong stitch counts!!! I count 44 stitches used, but there is only 42 stitches available!!! Oh dear! I knew this was off, but, I never realize it was this bad!

So, let me try just explaining the over all ideal from this point on:

Ok, right now your bear's head should be a circle that represents the base of the bear's head. The start of the round is on the back of the head. Go around (sc) around to the front (face). Now when you get to the point where the chin of muzzle should start, put in an sc inc, 3 sc, sc inc to represent the chin area. sc around the head back to the end/start of round point. This should be at the corner of the head. If you think about your own head, this would be just behind the ear, but before your spine. Here you want to put in an sc dec to help curve the back of the head upwards. sc from that point, around the back of the head, to the corresponding point after the spine, but before the ear where another sc dec goes to match the 1st sc dec. Now go back around to the front, and put in an sc inc in the 1st sc of the previous round's sc inc, sc 5, sc inc. Continue thus for a total of 4 rounds, increasing the number of sc between the sc inc-s on the front. Now, once thats done, you need to do the opposite on the front. That is, instead of sc inc at the edges of the muzzle, you are going to be using sc dec to form the top of the muzzle. The 1st sc dec should be the sc dec of the previous row and the next sc. The Second sc dec of the muzzle area will be the sc before the sc dec and the sc dec of the previous row. Continue around this way until you get down to sc dec, sc 3, sc dec.

Now that the muzzle is formed,work 3 rows of sc evenly around. This is the eye area. Attach the ears here.

From there on, you want to gently sc dec around the head, until you have only 3 sc to work with. At that point, use the triple sc dec to bring them together and finish them off.

Of course dont forget to stuff the head.

Thanks to all who are still hanging in with me. And thanks to all who tried.

I know this pattern is hard and badly written, but I really do appreciate all the help everyone has given.

I received the following message from psxmom. She has given me permission to repost it here:

Re: errors found in teddy bear pattern.

i am done!! okay, round 20 I have 31 stitches,

round 21 i have 42 stitches,

round 26 sc 7 sc dec sc 7 sc dec twice sc sc dec 3sc sc dec sc sc dec twice.

round 27 sc 7 sc dec sc 9 sc dec sc 2 sc dec sc 6 sc dec

round 28 sc 5 sc dec sc 1 sc dec twice sc 5 sc dec sc sc dec sc 2 sc dec twice that left me with a count of 21 around.

round 33 sc dec 5 sc around.

everything else seemed okay. with these changes my bear came out like this:

grumpy easter bear 2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1006953...n/photostream/

Cute bear. I love his colors.

My question is...

Should we FO after the second foot or can we just continue on to the "crotch flap" w/o FO. I FO both then connected. There is no instruction weather or not to FO.

LitttleJadeFrog: Generally, I do F.O. after the second leg, but, either way works.

CuriousKate: Your bear looks great. Seems you did a great job. I emphathise about the muzzle area being so tough. I'm being to suspect that the trouble is that the stitch count in that area is always going to vary due to where the crocheter starts on the head. For some reason I haven't quite figured out, the starting position seems to vary. :think

Thanks to everyone for hanging in here. :D I promise the next pattern will be much easier.

LitttleJadeFrog: Generally, I do F.O. after the second leg, but, either way works.

CuriousKate: Your bear looks great. Seems you did a great job. I emphathise about the muzzle area being so tough. I'm being to suspect that the trouble is that the stitch count in that area is always going to vary due to where the crocheter starts on the head. For some reason I haven't quite figured out, the starting position seems to vary. :think

Thanks to everyone for hanging in here. :D I promise the next pattern will be much easier.

Then I might be with you again ;) I really like the way the body of the bear was joined in the progress. He's a real cutie!

Then I might be with you again ;) I really like the way the body of the bear was joined in the progress. He's a real cutie!

I hate sewing parts...I too love that it is joined in the progress! I am now to the 1/2-way point of the body (just before you attach the tail). I realized I didn't make the tail :eek. So I have to do that 1st. :D So that will be tonight!

I'm still working on mine too, I have had to frog different parts a few times, but he's coming along. I do have a question, when working on the head and doing the decrease in the back of the head, do we continue to do the decreases in the back as we do the increases in the front? That might be effecting my count, but the explanation has helped so much and now I am afraid to go back to the pattern. Ok not scared but anyway this is fun non the less!!!

I'm still working on my bear. I couldn't crochet last night as I couldn't move my neck. I did some thing to it. So I sat with the heating pad and hoped it would stop hurting.

I hope to crochet today. As I can move it some what better today.

yes .. i am working on mine too ... been frogging the head ... may be i need to brush my english and i'm a beginner so .. will take time ... and haven't touch it for 2 days .. been busy with office works and kids ...

huhu

hope to finish it soon

:D

Archived