Calla Lily Doily

HomekeepingGran

I am ready (maybe) to begin the Calla Lily Doily by Maggie Weldon. For those of you who have made this, it calls for 300 yards of green. I have a 50 gram ball, slightly broken into, of the green I prefer. My calculations say that an unbroken 50 gram ball should be 266 yards or so. Am I going to be soooooo sorry I don't drive to the next town an hour away and get a matching dyelot? Do I have enough? Did you have leftover thread? Did you even work with a 50 gram ball to begin with?

Am I answering my own questions, LOL?

You know, I bought this pattern planning to make it for my mother, but she passed away before I got it done. I think I want it on my table to remember her every day. (As if I don't already.)

First, let me say that I think it's lovely that you're making this to remember your mother.

I have not made the doily. However, I do know that, as far as yardage on 50g balls of crochet thread, it differs depending on the brand and the size of the thread. For example, size 10 DMC Cebelia 50g balls have 284 yards; size 20 has 415 yards; size 30 has 569 yards. Opera thread in 50g balls has 251 yards. South Maid and Aunt Lydia's has 300 to 400 yards, depending on the color. (Colors and variegated always have less thread than white or ecru.)

If you need 300 yards and you have only 260-some to begin with, it sounds like you're already short and will need more. Unless the thread you have is DMC Cebelia size 20 or 30, you should buy another ball to be on the safe side.

Sorry.

I do not have an answer to your questions:( but wanted to let you know that my daughter bought me the kit of this doily from Annie's Attic, and the main color is beige instead of green. I did not know that she was going to surprise me with the 2 doilies kit (the other one has grapes). She did not know that I have the pamphlet and had crocheted all of the doilies in it!! (except the calla lily one as I did not have any green thread!!)..:lol

So, I practiced crocheting the calla lily and it is very easy to make!!:yes She bought it last year for Mother's Day and I still have not crochet it.. It is a beautiful doily so good luck to you and I hope that you have enough green.. I will crochet mine soon:hook

Carol, thank you for your advice. I called my LYS and they set aside the last (!) ball of Cebelia in my dye lot. Whew. At least I don't have to buy 2 more balls of sage green thread. (And I can start tonight!)

Eneida, I've seen a picture of this made up in beige and it's really pretty. Hold out for the green if you prefer but I think you would like it in either color. Wait, somebody here made one, I think. Hold on... nope, I'm wrong. I must have seen it on the Annie's Attic site. Sorry.

Have you seen MimiFl's version? She does the most exquisite work and her finishing (blocking) is impeccable. It was her doily which started me on the Calla Lily quest to begin with.

When I called my LYS yesterday I felt so bad about asking her to search out a dyelot that I started with an apology. She was so nice. "Honey, I'm in the store all alone with no customers so you just tell me what you need." I doubt she recognized either my name or my voice but she was very kind. This is partly why I drive an hour to get there. Well, that and the fact that they ARE the closest yarn shop to me that I know of, LOL.

I wondered, but no matter. The ball I had was slightly broken into. I love the color and will use it somewhere else if I have most or all of the second ball left over. Thank you for your input, crochetrae. Plus, by going to the LYS I got the opportunity to choose the exact white I want for the flower — not a white white with this sage green but a pearly white. To me the dead white would have contrasted unfavorably with my other color.

I was going to mention I'd made it but I see you already know. :D

At the time, I had 2 or 3 balls of frosty green (I'm paranoid about running out!) so I can't say how much it used, unfortunately. But then 'when in doubt, buy more' is my motto. ;)

Can't wait to see your finished doily. :)

Mimi, did you work at close to gauge? I was extremely, outrageously far off when I used the 1.65 mm hook recommended in the pattern and had to start over with a much larger one. (She called for a #7 - 1.65 mm and I'm using a #0!) I'm still slightly under gauge but it's close enough to not worry about it this time. Funny, I don't usually find myself that far off with the prescribed hook. And I also wanted to ask what diameter you ended up with?

I usually don't worry about gauge when it comes to doilies. :blush All I know is I always use the same hook, my trusty #7/1.5mm (that's what mine says). The doily came out to about 19" (that's using #10 thread). I'm a pretty tight crocheter.

Thanks, Mimi. I am rather easy to please with doily gauge, too, but this time it was just too far off and I could tell it. I noted that you gave yours in an Easter exchange. I bet the recipient was thrilled! I am excited because my thread is a wonderful match for my china. I can't wait to set a table with Calla Lily in the middle! We're going out of town tomorrow so I will have at least some time in the car to hook and hook and hook. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived