How is your yarn organized?

How do you organize your yarn?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. How do you organize your yarn?

• I organize by brand...
    • I organize by ply or thickness...
    • I orgnanize by color...
    • I have my stash memorized....really I do!
    • I keep a list of which yarn and where it is....
    • I am drowning in yarn.....No clue, please help!
    • Other.....Please list below!!!!

What does "organize" mean??? :devil:devil

MIne is not at all organized. It sits around in plastic bags, boxes, on the tables. It's a mess.

me too i am so unorganized isn;t even funny:lol:lol:lol:lol

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine is in a huge basket from Michael's. It looks nice, but not very organized. I never know what's on the bottom! Plus, it's overflowing now. I need to move to a large plastic container I think.

I don't have as much yarn as most of you do, but it does seem to be everywhere in our small apartment. My biggest attempt at organizing--I bought a rubbermaid thing with 3 drawers and put it on top of a 4-drawer chest of drawers. One rubbermaid drawer is strictly for supplies like scissors, hooks, tape measures, etc. The other two rubbermaid drawers are for yarn, and the other 4 drawers are for works in progress, squares, etc.

Two bedroom closets have bags of WIPs in them, and the hooks in the hallway are used mostly to hang totes of projects. The front closet has mostly baby yarn on the top shelf, but I hardly ever use that. The back bedroom currently has 3 totes with projects in them.

The real question is this--How do I finish one project before starting 3-4 others? My yarn supply would be very small if only I could learn to work on one project at a time.:lol

I keep all my yarns in boxes with lids. Each box gets a number. Then I go to an inventory program on my computer and put exactly what is in each box, color, ply and brand. Then while on putter just do a quick search and I can find where it is. I store all the boxes in the attic.

Which program do you use? I buy Christmas & birthday presents, and clothing for my son ahead and store them in a similar way. I just type up a list and print it, when I take something out I cross it off .... not terribly fancy but it works. Helps too when I find kids shoes for $3, I know what I have at home and don't buy more of the sizes I don't need.

Fran

Archived