How is your yarn organized?

How do you organize your yarn?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. How do you organize your yarn?

• I organize by brand...
    • I organize by ply or thickness...
    • I orgnanize by color...
    • I have my stash memorized....really I do!
    • I keep a list of which yarn and where it is....
    • I am drowning in yarn.....No clue, please help!
    • Other.....Please list below!!!!

Since I use Red Heart Light & Lofty or Baby Clouds for 99.99% of my projects, the only thing I need to know is what color is in what box. So I tape a sheet of paper to the outside of the box to write the colors & # of skeins.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two weeks ago my yarn was getting out of control so I took measures to get it back to somewhere that I could find things when I wanted to. Here is the result:

th_DSC08304.jpg

I also have a large zip-lock bag with 20 skeins of Lion Brand Baby soft and a mid-sized basket with my on-going stuff in it (along with little balls that will be used for ???)

And I got everything inventoried into a spread sheet :yay WHEW that's the extent of spring cleaning for me this year :P

I guess I'm not the only one with a room full of random yarn! I recently made an *attempt* at organizing it, mostly by putting all the stray skeins and balls I found around my house in one place. I didn't think I had much of a stash but then the big plastic bin filled up, and then the comforter bag filled up, and then all my WIP bags found their way into that room... I suppose the next step is to organize it somehow in there, just don't know where I'll put it once it's organized!

Last week when my supply increased crazily when some women Freecycled to me, I had to go out immediately and buy a couple of those 3-drawer Sterilite storage systems. The great thing though is they have wheels in the bottom. I'm in my recliner most of the time for physical reasons so I store them behind my chair (the only spot left in our tiny house LOL). I can pretty easily turn and roll up the one I want, grab what I need, and shove them back in the corner.

My drawers are separated into more-expensive yarn for specific projects so it doesn't accidentally get used; yarn for daily NICU projects; new yarn unassigned; cotton; etc.

I just did some more organizing today. I put some items that I had made years ago in large ziplock bags, which freed up one more plastic storage box, so I filled it with some odds and ends of yarn I don't know what to do with yet. Then I got all my UFO's sorted out, decided which ones I would finish first, and put most of them in another box. (I've bought about 4 of those boxes laterly.) This eliminated the plastic grocery bags of different yarn that was crammed behind the sewing machine.

I keep the plastic bins stacked next to my sewing machine, because it is in a little cubbyhole by itself, in a corner of my bedroom... it's handy and I can keep sewing notions as well as crochet notions, all in the 3-drawer caddy that sits next to it. Only the three WIP's that I work on all the time are in the living room close to my end of the couch and I keep the pattern books stacked at the other end, in the corner. Then the scrap yarn is in three plastic boxes up on the shelf of my closet. That's about as organized as I will get for now... when I use up some of my stash I will probably start on a couple more scrap afghans. I plan to make some smaller ghans to give to the animal shelter, and some lapghans for nursing homes.

Until a week ago I had yarn in the living room, in two spots! bedroom, and spare bedroom, in a three drawer dresser. I finally decided Id had enough. I threw away any yarn that I felt was tangled beyond repair. Pulled yarn I hardly used and may use in the future and put it in those "space bags" and they are in our storage, I got a rubbermaid under the bed container and put some nicer yarn in there, organized the dresser so I can actually close the drawers! I also have several projects that I have started, and either ran out of the color yarn I need or just put off for now in med space bags to keep them from the cats. Only the current project colors are in a basket in the living room now. I still have too much yarn but Im always working on something :hook

I organize mine in totes, baskets & hampers. :lol I have fun fur & yarns like such in a samll basket. Then I have cotton in another. Baby yarn in a small plastic tote, all RH & WW in hampers and plastic totes. And then I have my yarn balls in a mesh hamper (yes, I have that many odds-n-ends).

Oh and I have a big wooden chest with yarn too. Who am I kidding, it's everywhere. LOL.

When I buy yarn for a specific project, I usually keep all of that yarn in a separate bag with the pattern. I have found the new XL and XXL ziploc bags great for this...I can see what's there. Of course I have many such bags accumulated over many years.

Other yarn I have in clear plastic storage bins sorted by both weight and type (cottons, wools, acrylics). I have way too many of these boxes and I keep trying to hide them from my husband.

I taught a learn to crochet class at the library in March and let each one of the girls who came to the last session take home and armful of yarn...one way to get it to a loving new home.

:yarn:yarn:yarn well mine is in the clear drawer things I have 2 for thread and 2 for baby yarn then I have 3 cabinets with shelves in them full by color and type I have another thing I got from Fred Myer that looks like a book shelf but has smaller square shelves and it is full and last but not least I have a under bed tote on wheels full of fancy stuff. and one day they will all be in the same location :hook right now they are in the garage in that corner and over in the other one ect......:lol I want to get it all orginized and put a carpet down and a nice chair and my ott light and heater and I will be set.

I actually just picked up a Crochet mag. at the good old Hobby Lobby last week, finally read the whole thing, and you wouldn't believe what the main one was all about! Organization!!

..so...I got sucked in to organizing it all over again, mostly my patterns/books were an issue, since as I stated before I JUST fixed my yarn issue (even though I have an addiction =/ ) so I have them all in page protectors, and organized by type, ie.. hats, afghans, accessories, dishcloth, you get the idea. They are all in a 2" binder, but wow, I think I need another. I am so happy! :clap:hook

:think What is this organization of which you speak?

I once had a whole dresser full of yarn. Seven drawers of it..and some stashed in hat boxes. (In case you're wondering, I hung my clothes up in the closet :lol) And yet there was still more in a basket next to my bed, and oh of course the cones of cotton just sitting around all over.... In fact the only tidiness to my stash were the balls of crochet thread; I stacked them in a nice pyramid-type deal on my desk :D

the 'everyday' stash is in cotton or acrylic baskets. My attempt at organised yarn/cotton is color coded then by ply/thickness. (must try to get storage drawers or something for that - one day :O ) Then we have the stuff I am working on. I try to keep project + specific yarn together.

Where did folks find the x-large zip lock bags? I like the idea of putting them in bags I can easily see thru and where they'll be kept clean and safe from bugs. Mine are presently in 1 large translucent bin, 2 small translucent bin, 2 3-drawer rolling carts, spead out on the spare couch (some in bags) and the rest on a spare chair in the living room near my recliner which is surrounds by WIP in tote bags! I think that's all of it....? I'd love to have a piece of furniture that I could either close up with doors or put the yarn in drawers to store mine, so much easier to see what I have color-wise. I need to go check FreeCycle... excuse me....

Where did folks find the x-large zip lock bags? I like the idea of putting them in bags I can easily see thru and where they'll be kept clean and safe from bugs. Mine are presently in 1 large translucent bin, 2 small translucent bin, 2 3-drawer rolling carts, spead out on the spare couch (some in bags) and the rest on a spare chair in the living room near my recliner which is surrounds by WIP in tote bags! I think that's all of it....? I'd love to have a piece of furniture that I could either close up with doors or put the yarn in drawers to store mine, so much easier to see what I have color-wise. I need to go check FreeCycle... excuse me....

Wal-Mart is where i found mine.

Archived