How is your yarn organized?

How do you organize your yarn?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. How do you organize your yarn?

• I organize by brand...
    • I organize by ply or thickness...
    • I orgnanize by color...
    • I have my stash memorized....really I do!
    • I keep a list of which yarn and where it is....
    • I am drowning in yarn.....No clue, please help!
    • Other.....Please list below!!!!

I keep a small spreadsheet with an inventory of my yarn. Brand, type, color, dye lot (if applicable), and if that yarn is part of my stash or part of a project. I print the pages out each time I update and keep it in my purse. Helps a lot when I go shopping and see a yarn sale to see what I've already got.

Yarn doesn't get shelved until it is put on my inventory list. Novelty yarns are all put into clear drawers. Project yarns are divided up in bags so that I only have to grab the bag off the shelf to start a project I've already planned out.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't have a large stash so it's not that big of a deal for me. I do have the 100% wool yarn (for felting) separate from the worsted weight blends and the cotton is in a tote all by it's self. :crocheting I also have some yarn separated for projects (with the patterns enclosed) and then there is the big bag of miscellanous yarn that a friend gave me a few years ago when she moved to Florida! :hook

I don't have nearly as much yarn as I'd like, so right now it all fits in a large plastic tub with a lid. I keep my current WIP in a tote bag that goes with me everywhere. I keep my needles inside the tote in a pocket that zips.

If organized means keeping it in a place so you are tripping over it, then I am organized. :D However, my place is so small (300 sq. ft) that I must get creative when it comes to stashing yarn. So mine is now under my bed (it lifts up with a hydraulic lift thingy), in a shoe organizer in my closet, under my couch (I can lift this up to get under it too :lol), and in a big bin behind my chair. I also have it in three bags (WIP's) around me.

I don't have anything sorted by color or type, I'm just lucky to be able to find a place for it. :hook

I used to keep mine in plastic bins but made it hard to dig through & find what I was looking for. Now I keep most of it in a shelving unit like a book shelf (with deep shelves).

It has made it so much easier to find what I'm looking for. I organize my stash by color & I have 3/4 of it winded in cakes (getting a winder saved space tremendously!). I can store about 60 cakes on one shelf.

One of my shelves is for new skeins that aren't winded & I put a folding wine rack on that shelf so the skeins aren't just stacked on top of one another-because if I need one of those & they are on the bottom, the whole pile might tumble down getting a skein on the bottom. So that divides the shelf into multiple cubbies for yarn such as Simply soft which I usually use straight from the center of the skein (until I've used half a skein & it gets messy, then it gets winded into a cake).

Under the unit is 2 closed cabinets with a shelf in each. In there I can store pattern mags & books, as well as a small basket of thread & a basket of kitchen cotton which I don't have as much of because it gets used pretty quickly.

The biggest organization mess I have is by my recliner where I crochet. I'm bad about not putting materials back in my cabinet lol! I have a magazine rack beside my chair but it overflows quickly. I also bought one of those 3 tray bins on rollers theoretically for WIP's...but it's filled up too :lol There are WIP's in the top & middle bin & yarn in the bottom bin. :yes

This doesn't EVEN consider the small rubbermaid bin filled with cloth for lining bags, nor the basket filled with FO's beside my shelving unit LOL! "My" craft area in teh family room is getting very crowded. LOL

:rofl My "craft cabinet" as I do like to call it is really my whole office with a craft cabinet that has been overflowing forever! I don't keep a large stash of yarn (yet) but I do keep more than enough yarn for each project that I'm currently working on. That yarn is stored in the bags from the store which I then put in another bag that has all the other yarn which of course is not clear plastic. Then I store that wherever there might be room at the moment. But I always know that if it's yarn or craft it is contained to an 8x10 room. So it's here - somewhere, I know it. I just saw it. Now where did I see that? That's my usual conversation with myself! :lol

annie

WOW - I'm in the popular category! :eek I started trying to organize it and got sidetracked. :think Now I go looking and move stuff around and I keep coming across stuff I forgot I had. It's almost like Christmas.:yay

I have a lot but I used a lot of my stash on big projects so I don't have enough of any 1 color to do a ghan anymore:(

I love my yarn :crocheting

In underbed type bins because that's what I had - by color mostly - Christmas yarn has its own bins. Then there are the zipper bags which hold the yarn for an autumn colors afghan yet to be started, and a tall plastic thing with drawers in it for mostly cotton for dishcloths and baby summer blankets. Oh ya, the basket full of odds and ends, several X-large space bags that don't shrink any more, but are good for holding misc other yarn, and so it goes.

This is a funny question to me because my yarn is so disorganised I have it everywhere except the kitchen sink and the bathroom ..........HAHAHA.....I have it laundry baskets boxes plastic bags I have it on shelves in my closets in my storage room it's funny but I do keep my crochet hooks where I can find them :)

Most of mine is in 4 plastic bins in the basement storage. It's mainly by color because I mostly have WW acrylic. If I get something special, it's for a specific project. Yarns I'm working with are in bags/baskets in my apartment. I always have 2-3 WIPs, WIMS or PIGs around :lol.

Ellie 13

I have 2 tupperware tubs filled, plus 2 x-tra large ziplock tote bags full. At one point I itemized my yarns (only those with more than one ball of each type) in Ravelry but I keep forgetting to check it when I start a new project. :lol

My problem is the large number of "odd balls" I have from previous projects. It's hard to organize single balls when you've got about 150 of them. They're all different types of yarn in different weights. :eek

I think I'll take a look at my Ravelry list again.

Cheryl. :hook

Organized stash?? Is this some new concept I have missed???? LOL My yarn is NOT organized...but it should be...I inherited a ton when my mom passed away...will organize AFTER I go get the rest of her craft stuff!

Mine isn't organized at all. I've got various plastic bins, tote things with lids around the house. living room, closet, our bedroom. ugh. There's also boxes and garbage bags! Can't forget the yarn in the car, and at work in my office. lol

So, the plan originally was to sort by color. yeah. Someday I'll get to it. But i've been working on small projects lately, so it's not so bad. but when I get to a large project, I don't know what i'll do! lol. Mostly I've got ww yarn. no other stuff, a few skeins of eyelash yarn, and some of sport weight.

I have just recently organized my stash. My yarn is in one of our hall closets. We bought a set of wire cubes from target. The yarns I use the most get 2 cubes.They are sorted by type. I also have 4 more cubes on the top shelf holding yarns I don't use as much. I currently also have 4 rubbermaid bins full of my mother's yarn. That yarn is being used to make special projects for the family and are sorted by type.

1) In an abandoned tall garbage bin from my place of worship(cleaned out, of course); and the other,

2) In one of those plastic, see through tub things

My stash is very neat. I hate clutter and mess-heard it represents the owner.

My organization goes like this:

Charity baby yarns for blankets

Charity baby yarns for hats and booties

Charity yarns for adults

Scarf Yarns for knitting

Future Afghan yarns (BIIIIIG tote, lots of skeins)

Leftover Yarns

Cotton Yarns

I need to revamp my organization, because i know i have more yarn that could go in the charity pile.

Now i'm not even going to discuss what the REST of the basement looks like......

I saw this thread, how do we organize our yarn, and couldn't resist replying!

To put it simply, I don't organize! Wish I did, because if I can't find the yarn I'm looking for, I just go out and buy more! Maybe that will be my next year's resolution! Still working on this year's!

I DO have mine memorized LOl but only because I can't afford to have mroe than I have right now! And right now I recycled an old plastic bag that my comforter came in and it's all in that. I put in a downy sheet to keep it fresh.

I also have some a friend bought me at a yard sale (for my chi sweaters) and that's in a large box in my room under my bed. I have plans for a craft room (I am SOOO excited about that!!) and I'll have shelves to put them all in neatly and clear storage boxes under my craft table. That's the plan anyway LOL. I also have to fit in my beading supplys and jewelry making parafanalia (is that spelled right? LOL) and it's a pretty small room.

~~Cheri~~

I used to have my stash organized but, I had to sacrifice my craft room so our twins had a place to sleep. Then we moved across the country. I have so much yarn that I hid it in boxes with plates and nicknacks so the hubby didn't know how bad my addiction really is. Now when I unpack a box I didn't think I needed right away I find more yarn. Currently it is stashed where ever it will fit.:devil Rubbermaid totes, under the bed storage boxes, the hall closet, the glove box of my car the shed out back and in a wagon seat that was my toy box when I was little.

Well, they say confession is good for the soul, don't they??

I have four big rubbermaid tubs of yarn

four smaller tubs of yarn ( two are kind of odd assortments)

oh and a garbage bin full of scrap yarn

I wonder if I have a problem or not??????

If so I'm very happy anyway!!!!!!:hook:manyheart:cheerTeapot.

Right now mine is not so organized. We are remodeling and adding an addition on to our house, so not a lot is really organized. I have 2 under the bed storage containers full, two large clear rubbermaid containers full, about ten of the clear shoe organizers full, the bottom drawer of my dresser, a big wicker basket, a box in the top of the closet, two plastic bags in the trunk of my car, a large tote bag next to the bed, three cones of cotton next to the dresser. I think that is all, but I pretty much know what is where when I go to find it.

I have a big old honking mess on my hands, my yarn is everywhere. I have a closet in my craft rooom I really need to clean out so I can organize my stash on the shelves....with the help of Big Lots my stash is increasing at an alrming pace!

Two words: It's Not...lol I've sort of run out of room in the bag I keep mine in so it's kind of spilling out all over the closet. I guess the only form of organization I have is that I keep yarn that's part of a project with the project... ;)

Archived