How is your yarn organized?

How do you organize your yarn?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. How do you organize your yarn?

• I organize by brand...
    • I organize by ply or thickness...
    • I orgnanize by color...
    • I have my stash memorized....really I do!
    • I keep a list of which yarn and where it is....
    • I am drowning in yarn.....No clue, please help!
    • Other.....Please list below!!!!

Just wondering what I am doing wrong as I think I am organized but it takes me a long time to find a specific yarn..........Sometimes I dont find it until years later!!!!! literally:Not kidding.......Debbie

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got it in a closet. WIP bags are on the top shelf. Yarn is in wire shelves or the hanging sweater-organizer. (Errrrr, mostly.) Thread is by color on solid shelving. I gave away the yarn I found difficult to work with, so I have ca. 30 skeins now, enough for projects without feeling I need to go buy any. Thread, now, there's a different kettle of fish. It's small and tends to fall over, off, under, around, etc. I should probably get some clear, plastic boxes.

I'm sure others will have super ideas for putting supplies in good order.

There are lots of folks here who have hundreds, or even thousands, of skeins.

I'm in the same boat - total yarn disorganisation (is that even a word?!). I have lots of cloth grocery bags filled with yarn. The only sort of order they are in is that I have different bags for different projects that are currently in progress. I tend to store my current project in a new bag with the yarn I'm using for it. Then I go off on tangents and make other projects. So the bags are multiplying and there's yarn all over the place with many unfinished projects.

It's strange, I'm normally a very organised person, with everything having set places, and lists to make sure everything gets done. But with my yarn and projects I'm rather haphazard. No rhyme or reason to it.

I keep planning to get some plastic tubs to organise it all, I've heard that works really well. I'm planning to organise by ply and colour. I just have to get organised enough to get the tubs and do the sorting!!

So if you find any good tips on organising, I'd love to hear them!

:yarnI have mine in plastic containers. One with KW, one with baby yarn, & another with thread. I try to bag my KW in separate little plastic bags in the container with similar colors. It's still a pain!:eek

I have three bins, and one very large zip-bag (from a pillow) full. Bursting, even. If I had one more bin, I might be able to keep it in my head, but that is about it. This does not, of course, include my WIP bags. I have 4 over there, hehe.

Would I like to HAVE to organize better?....That, my friend is a difficult question to answer. I'd love all that yarn but I dislike trying to fit more in an already tight space. I don't have the option of a larger space...yet...heheh.

I keep all my yarns in boxes with lids. Each box gets a number. Then I go to an inventory program on my computer and put exactly what is in each box, color, ply and brand. Then while on putter just do a quick search and I can find where it is. I store all the boxes in the attic.

Mostly by ply/weight. Then by brand. That sounds way more organized than it is. lol

I have most of my baby weight yarn in a small tub/tote thing. I have fancy/different/unusal yarns in one drawer of a three drawer plastic cart. I have most of my Simply Soft in another drawer and Red Heart in the other one. I also have SS, RH, whatever in two XL ziplock bags. Thread is a tote bag. Extra yarn and yarn for projects are in different bags or whatever.

I have more yarn right now than I'd really like to have in my small house.

Honestly in my humble opinion, if you can't find yarn for years, you have too much and need to stash bust or give it away/sell it/trade it. LOL

By color, I just organized most ...yes, most of my stash by color, I still have a couple of bins left to organize, but I find by color the easiest way for me.

Mine are in bags by project and then those bags are in big containers. We're in a third floor apartment and don't have much room so the big containers are in our storage locker on the first floor. It's a pain sometimes to get to but my daughter's toys are taking up most of our free space.

I have mine in see-through storage containers. One is WW, sport weight, fingering yarn and thread. It works real nice for me... I can go straight to the container and get exactly the kind of yarn I need, unless of course I don't have that color and then off to the store I go!!!

organized? Be serious! I've got yarn everywhere...from the bedroom, to the living room to the sewing room (hey, at least it's just those 3 rooms...) It's a royal mess at the moment.

However, to seriously answer the question, I actually do try, when I try to organize my yarn and thread to have it separated by weight and then by color if possible and then by project...that's the dream anyway...when I do have it like that, I'm lucky it stays that way for any lenght of time...because then my muse gets excited and before I know it, I'm diving head first into my stash trying to find some elusive thread or yarn for some silly inspiration I happen to have...

My yarn is not organized... I just keep it in plastic tubs with lids, some in the sacks I brought it home in.... cause I'm out of tubs. And my wip's are all in separate tote bags. Or plastic sacks... if I'm out of totes.

Actually my stash is pretty small.... I only have maybe 2 dozen skeins that are not already belonging to a current project. I REALLY need more yarn!

I keep my loose balls in a shoe organizer that hangs on the back of my door and organize by color, and I keep my skeins in a clear rubbermaid tote. I don't have as large a stash as a lot of people, but that tends to keep my yarn organized.

oh, and I keep my fun fur type yarns in a separate basket.

No real organization. Just put in bins and more bins. If I have to look for something, it takes a while.

Someday I'll get organized.

:manyheart

I have things organized by fiber type for the most part.

Wools

Cottons and other natural fibers like bamboo or soy silk

Socks yarns and acrylic blends

crochet cotton/thread for doilies

Acrylics

Just wondering what I am doing wrong as I think I am organized but it takes me a long time to find a specific yarn..........Sometimes I dont find it until years later!!!!! literally:Not kidding.......Debbie

believe it or not, mine is all listed on Ravelry and since it is all in one room i can usually find it.

Organized? You have got to be joking, right? :lol There is not organization for any of my yarn nor any of my ribbon or supplies for other projects that I may get involved in. Beside my bed is a round basket that is full of yarn (have no clue what is in it)and a couple dozen little balls beside it. At the foot of my bed is another basket full of skeins and balls of yarn (have no clue what is in it either). In front of my bedroom window is a settee that has yarn and WIPs on it/under it. In the corner beside the closet is another basket full of unknown skeins and balls. Inside the closet (:lol this is too funny) is a big plastic tote full of yarn and lots of miscellaneous plastic, canvas and other types of bags full of yarn. In the back bedroom aka my office is miscellaneous bags of yarn laying around, a tote full of yarn and finished projects, and the closet has misc. bags of yarn. In the living room closet is misc. bags, totes and boxes with yarn. And then there are the other skeins of yarn that have not made into a tote, basket, or bag that are just laying here and there (basically where ever I lay them down). It sounds like I am a very disorganized person, but my house is actually clean and everything is organized and has a place except my yarn and craft supplies. :lol Maybe that is because that is what I enjoy doing the most and I would rather make something than waste time organizing it. :devil Sounded like a good excuse to me. I have always been told a lame excuse is better than no excuse at all :devil:lol.

I only have 3 plastic containers of yarn right now. I have them organized by weight right now with a few exceptions - like the cotton yarn has it's own place. I have one container that has everything smaller than worsted weight, one container full of worsted weight, and one container of bulky yarns. When I get more yarn, I plan to keep them organized like this, but then separate by color. So when I get so much worsted weight yarn that I can't fit it all in one container, I will put certain colors in a different container - or maybe I will separate these by brand - I'm not sure yet. Guess I'll find out when I get enough yarn.

My mother has an enclosed porch and was a knitting/crochet teacher for the adult education in our town. I remember when I was young and going out to the "porch" and seeing all the yarn on shelves, in plastic bags, cardboard boxes and plastic trash cans. I crochet quite a bit and never really had to buy any yarn, which was great, but trying to find the colors took days!!! Well one year I decided to clean up my mothers porch and I did it. It took two weeks and alot of hard work. I used plastic bins and at first I tried to match the color to the bin and that worked ok for blue, green, red, but we all know how many colors there are in our yarn collection... so I got clear bins and went to town sorting by type of yarn then by color. Cotton thread has one bin, baby yarn is in several bins by color. Worsted (spelling?) has more than several bins!!! Then there is verigated, sports yarn, unfinshed projects, miscellaneous, wool, etc... I had alot of fun doing it, I'm not sure my husband would agree. Anyway it is much easier to find the colors and type of yarn that mom and I need.

Well ... I have a lot of yarn, and it's semi-organized, so I had to vote for Other. Some really is in the closet and big dresser in the front room, and the hutch in the kitchen. Then there is just as much, if not more, in bags all over the place. There is no yarn in the bathroom ~ does that count for anything?

Part of the bag thing is that I like to keep my most recent aquisitions out. Out ~ where I can see the yarn, and feel it when I walk past, and make plans for it. I really enjoy looking at it, and for once in my life, I don't have anyone telling me to get my stuff out of their way. It's also the first time in my life I've been able to HAVE a stash and I'm enjoying it immensely. Eventually I close the bags and they begin the slow journey toward the front room.

Everything is divided up by yarn weight, then by color. Even though a lot is in bags, I can pretty much pinpoint any yarn I need when I take a notion to make something from my stash.

All projects are in separate bags with their yarns and are now kept in the kitchen where I will not lose them. I started doing this after I recently found another pair of slippers I started ... oh, 2 years ago. The project disappeared until now, so I have a special place for all WIP's and hooks, because I still have lost hooks too.

Little by little it's all getting organized.

Archived