LB Cape... ???

MarvieN

Question

Alright, so I've made this thing, but it's not looking right to me. The long sides look ok, but the short ends are ummm square?? I followed the pattern, I frogged several times but I am missing something and I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Here's that it's *supposed* to look like....

and Here is what I got....

Advice? Opinions? I've tried it on, and it seems ok, nice and rounded at the bottom etc... but those funky ends... from looking at LB's picture they should have rounded out I'm assuming? It *looks* like if it were laid flat it would be a nice round or oval shape...

I'm really :bang on this one lol.

Thanks in advance...

7 answers to this question

umm to me it looks like you are on track.. if you tried it on and you like the way it looks then leave it.. if you hate it then.. well.. only you can deicde what you need to do .. i think once you get it on and have it pinned up with something it will be fine.. ilike the colours in yours too ..

I haven't made it yet, but it looks to me as it's shaped more like a octagon, then, work in rounds.

I believe it's suppose to lay flat...I may be wrong.

May do a kid's version first....

Ken

I attempted this pattern before and gave up. The shape was really weird as it was working up. So I stopped working on it for a while, hoping someone else would comment on the pattern. I can't help, but I sure can sympathize. Although I think yours looks Fancy.

Lisa

Guest ctrymaus

(oops didn't see the edit button...see my post below--some of this info is wrong wrong wrong) :-P

Marvie,

I am working on this cape now. I'm on row 2 of the border. It seems that there are only 4 actual corners, the rest is shaping from the increases and decreases when you did the body of the cape. So you only do 3 DC in 4 corners. On the second row of the border and onward, it looks like only 2 DC in the bottom two corners. So far it's looking fairly flat as I am going along.

Also, did you get the exact stitch count and the exact number of rows in the main body of the cape? That might make a difference as to how the border goes.

Mostly, though, I am inclined to think the border directions are a bit confusingly written. :-/

So maybe if you know you got the body of the cape right, could you frog the border and try again, making sure you don't add any extra stitches?

When I saw your photo, I was prepared to even have to decrease some stitches on the border, if the pattern was written wrong.

Hope this helps.

Joanna aka countrymouse

Guest ctrymaus

Ack, that's what I get for not truly reading the pattern and going off on my own. I was *wondering* why my cape was continuing to look so angular.

Okay, the cape *does* have "side corners". I frogged back more than 2 rounds to do it right. So there are three DC in each end corner (four of those) and 2 DC in each "side corner" (four of those). I am using stitch markers to make sure I don't lose the side corners, since they are getting more rounded as I go along (which is the point).

I still don't know how your border got that ruffly...too many stitches in round one of the border, perhaps?

Archived