a couple things i've made - hats

crochetingnetta12208

Nice work! To make the hats bigger, Keep making the circle part, increasing as you were, until the circle is 5 to 7 inches across, depending on if the hat is for a child teen or adult. This is something you have to make one of and see if it works because I don't know what yarn you're using and your gauge. Just try it!

To make your hats bigger you can try out a couple of things. You can do as Maria said which works really well and you can size any hat to fit that way. I've done a couple of hat patterns that were waaaay too big for me and the reverse of Maria's instructions work for that, don't do as many increases.

The other way I sometimes make a hat bigger is to use a bigger hook size if the stitches/yarn will still look good. Just doing that will bring the hat up in size also.

~ Debby

Good looking hats! I love making hats.

After much experimentation, here's what I've learned...

As has been stated earlier, sizing hats depends on

• head size (duh ;) )
  • weight of yarn :yarn (sport, baby, worsted, etc.)
  • hook size :hook
  • pattern of stitches :crocheting (some stitch combos allow for more stretch)
  • tension

Head size is obvious - you want the hat to fit the head it was designed for.

The weight of the yarn will affect how close the stitches will be, as well as the size of the hook. I've crocheted the same hat with a sport weight yarn that the pattern listed worsted weight and the result was a hat that fit my 18 month old granddaughter instead of my 16 year old son.

The pattern of stitches may affect whether or not the hat has sufficient stretch to allow the hat to fit on the head even if it's too small.

Tension is the hardest to control - it's best to crochet at your natural tension, not try to change for a particular pattern - the resulting fabric may not be uniform, since it's not your natural tension.

Most patterns list the expected gauge the pattern creates when crocheted after a number of rounds. Adjustment of hook size, yarn or tension can hopefully get the gauge the pattern requires. If it's a simple pattern, then increasing or decreasing the number of rounds of increased stitches can produce the desired change in size.

Hope this helps. :)

Archived