Winding Yarn into a skein?

Does anyone know a site that explains how to wind loose yarn into a skein? I'm unraveling an old sweater and want to wash the yarn before I crochet with it. I heard that skein form is best for washing yarn, but i'm not sure how to get it into a skein..this is probably really basic info. but I can't seem to find it anywhere! any info is appreciated!

What I have done is use my arm to wrap it up. I hold my arm in an L shape and wind the yarn from my hand around my lower arm and back to my hand like I was winding up a hose. I hope that makes sence. I then give it a bit of a twist off my arm, secure it in the center whith a hair tie (pony tail holders work well. I them put it in an old nylon or a pillow case and tie it shut. Then I just pop it in the wash and I am good to go. This leaves the skein loose enough to allow it to dry thoroughly too without caking together. Hope this helps you.

If you don't have a niddy-noddy, you can use someones arms or the back of a chair. A niddy-noddy is easy to make from pcv pipe if you plan to wind a lot of yarn into skeins. OR use a swift, but instead of taking yarn off, put it on.

Archived