Buy yarn online?

i'mhooked

Does anyone buy yarn online? If so, what is your favorite site, brand, etc ? I havent yet as I am a little nervous that if I do I wont like it when it comes-- I have been in an exclusive relationship with Hobby Lobby but thought maybe I'd start seeing other yarn shops ;).

check out prices at Joann's. They are having some sales and free shipping if you purchase $25 or more. I don't know about their return policy.

I am gonna order some Bernat Softee Baby today. They have the best price.

I've had very good luck ordering from http://www.knitting-warehouse.com. They have a huge selection, the prices are good, and they have a $5.99 flat rate shipping fee. And delivery is fast! I just ordered from them last month. I placed my order on Tuesday and it was delivered on Friday. An order I placed in January on a Sunday was delivered on Wednesday.

I've had good experiences with Mary Maxim too, but they aren't quite as fast as Knitting-Warehouse.com because their stuff is mailed rather than delivered by UPS.

i buy yarn online everywhere. i like knitting-warehouse.com for flat rate shipping on name brands, i like smileysyarns.com for cheap yarn but the shipping is kind of high unless you buy a lot, i like ebay for brands of stuff i cant find anywhere else and i love or to try out new fibers that i can buy just a couple balls to test it out for a good price. just be aware of shipping costs they can kill you. also elann.com is awesome too lots of yarns

I'm a relative newbie to online yarn buying. I like www.elmore-pisgah.com (the peaches and creme people)...lots of cotton yarns, all weights.(okay, size 10 thread through double ww)...some in cones for big projects...love that! I ordered last week, Th, they shipped same day, it arrived Monday...so what's that, 2, maybe 3 business days? Wow! And they threw in a bunch of leaflet/tearoffs with the order. Shipping is a bit higher, mine was $7 something based on the size of my order, but the speed was incredible.

HTH

I'm a relative newbie to online yarn buying. I like www.elmore-pisgah.com (the peaches and creme people)...lots of cotton yarns, all weights.(okay, size 10 thread through double ww)...some in cones for big projects...love that! I ordered last week, Th, they shipped same day, it arrived Monday...so what's that, 2, maybe 3 business days? Wow! And they threw in a bunch of leaflet/tearoffs with the order. Shipping is a bit higher, mine was $7 something based on the size of my order, but the speed was incredible.

HTH

I have also bought yarn from the peaches n cream people. There shipping was a bit on the high side so I felt like I had to buy more to get more bang for the buck. I also got one of their grab bags which was awesome! There was so much in there - way more than you would expect. I have bought some yarn off of ebay too. I think a decent amount of knowledge is needed for that to really know what you are getting. I have made 3 purchases and none of them turned out to be what I expected - which is my fault - I should have researched more!!

I buy quite a lot from Knitting Warehouse. The flat $5.99 shipping rate is great.

I also buy from Herrschners, but I usually wait until they have free shipping with an order of $35 or more. I just keep a running list of what I need or want (if it's something I can't get from Knitting Warehouse), and when the free shipping offer comes along, poof, I order.

There's really no decent sites in Australia that I can find that you can buy a good range of yarn from, which is frustrating. There's a couple of places that do high end yarn, but if you're looking for regular acrylics and things, there's not a place out there.

I have ordered from America before, when I wanted some Simply Soft (which isn't available in Australia), but they took more than 3 months to deliver and charged me $57 shipping. I have just had a lovely member of this site send me some more, for which I'm eternally grateful.

You guys over there have so much variety it blows my mind.

One thing to consider when purchasing yarn online is that some computer screens display color slightly different than what the color actually is...you may not end up with exactly what you think you are getting.

Great information:clapLove all the different links since I may have to start ordering online since our Walmart seems to have less & less!:eek

THATS FOR SURE! Walmart used to have a bunch, but I don't even look there any more. I agree about knitting warehouse. I'm looking forward to trying the sites listed here!

Just curious - AU$ comparable to US$?

THATS FOR SURE! Walmart used to have a bunch, but I don't even look there any more. I agree about knitting warehouse. I'm looking forward to trying the sites listed here!

Just curious - AU$ comparable to US$?

Probably not since our $ seems to be sliding a bit right now.

Shame on you guys for giving me those links, now I have to go buy yarns! I saw several Bernat ones at Knitting Warehouse that I'm going to get to make Christmas presents. Peaches and Cream has a very pretty blue thread that I'm contemplating for the doily swap (hey, my partner can get more than one, right?) :lol

http://www.knitnknibble.com/index.htm This is a store in the Tampa area that I'm planning on visiting, hopefully the budget will let me do so soon :lol

All the ones people mentioned are good. I love Knitters Warehouse and Herrschners. I find things from Joann's, Mary Maxim, and Annie's Attic take ages to show up. I order from them if time is not an issue or if the item is something that they only have and I can't get it anywhere else.

What people say about color is right. It's worth it to order a color card, if an on-line site sells them for particular brands. I did that for Knitpicks and was amazed at how different the colors were than they looked on-line.

The funny thing I've found is that, in some cases, ordering on-line and paying shipping costs is actually cheaper than buying from a store and paying the gas to get there and back (a lot of our yarn places are at least 20 minutes away). Much less aggravation, too!

Archived