Caron One Pounder

DoubleTreble

As many of you know, I use alot of RHSS. But Caron One Pounders were on sale at JoAnn's and I bought enough for a couple afghans. I am in love with this stuff! RHSS is sratchy to work with. I didn't really think I minded until using this and focusing on the texture. This feels like cotton, very soft and non-irritating. And it washes nicely too. A little bulkier than RHSS, but I have used them in the same work as I don't like RH's choices of whites, and Caron doesn't have the color selection. Just never thought about the texture before, this is such a nice change for my hands after just finishing an afghan in RHSS Monday! Now if they'd just add some more color choices....

Caron One Pounder is great for blankets and such, but I really like the Pound of Love that's usually sold right next to it. It's not as stiff, so it is great for sweaters and different clothings. I work more with clothing items. I've made skirts out of both, and the Pound of Love just laid a little better. They both are great for their own purpose and you can't beat the price.

If you like working with caron one pounders, you should try their simply soft... that stuff's awesome - my personal favorite! And, it's perhaps a bit more expensive, but not much! :)

I just recently discoveried the same thing. I love Caron one pounder too:cheer! I have been making American Girl doll clothes and in making the robes (need 3) in Bernat Best Friends booklet - the one I made with Caron one pounder was so much nicer. Thicker and shaped better as well - love it!:yes:

Love both the One Pounds and the Pounds of Love. The Pounds of Love are a bit softer, but they only come in 5 or 6 colors (and LB discontinued that gorgeous red they had, which totally bummed my mom and me). Just finished a Project Linus blanket last night made of soft pink One Pound (http://www.crochetnmore.com/babysabcsafghan.htm), threw it in the wash, and it's even softer. Still a little stiff (I went up a hook size, but it's still a little bulky), but that will soften up as it gets used. Can't beat the price for durability and color selection with the convenience of being locally available. Patty

I don't the Black or White,though. The Black looks green to me and the White has a lavender hue.

Hmm. I personally have only used the off-white in Caron up til now. I'm not crazy about RH's whites either. What do you use when you need a white ww?

If you have a Hobby Lobby by you, the I Love This Yarn has a really nice bright white and perfect black color.

I agree that the Caron One Pounder in black doesn't look like a true black. It seems faded-looking. If you hold it up to the Red Heart black, you can tell the difference right away.

But I still love and use Caron One Pounders in the other colors. It is really soft and durable.

I wish we had a JoAnn's, Michaels, or Hobby Lobby or even a local yarn shop where I live. I only have Wal-Mart. To go to a Hobby Lobby I have to travel an hour each way from our house. I have order the Caron Pounder and Pound of Love and they are absolutely wonderful. I do buy the Caron simply soft at Wal-Mart but they don't carry many colors and I love it.

I think that the Caron one pound is very stiff! I don't care for it, definitely not for making anything to wear. I agree about the Pound of Love though, very nice.

Kim

I absolutely love the Caron 1 pounders! Just bought 20 of them from Joannes! LOL I'm using them for Christmas afghans for family this year and at $5 a pound you can't beat it. I also got free shipping so it was well worth it. It is a joy to work with, much softer than the RH SS I used to use all the time.

I bought a white Caron 1 pounder, and I'm very disappointed in the dullness of the white, I was going to whip up a baby sweater and when I got going, I just didn't like the dingy look. Love the other colors--with maybe the exception of the black.

I 2nd the motion. I used Caron One Pounders for the first time last year. I finished that queen size blanket in a week, went back to JoAnns and bought more. I think it is sooooo much softer than RH stuff. The Pound of Love I use for RRs but it only comes in pastels so it's pretty limiting.

~ Debby

How does Caron One Pound compare to Caron Perfect Match? I am rather fond of Perfect Match but haven't tried One Pound. But like that One Pound has more color options.

How does Caron One Pound compare to Caron Perfect Match? I am rather fond of Perfect Match but haven't tried One Pound. But like that One Pound has more color options.

Not sure, as i said, I am mostly a RH user, but I THINK perfect match is heavier (thicker?) than simply soft and lighter than one pounder. Okay caron users, am I correct? :think

Not sure about the Perfect Match since I've never used it, but I kind of agree on the white. It's not great. But I'm usually using it combination with another color (e.g., the MAM ripple blanket I made using the white, soft pink, and green-maybe sage?) so the lack of true whiteness is less of a problem than it would be in other circumstances. I remember a discussion from last year about the trouble that Caron was having with the whites across all their lines, but don't remember the specifics or if it got solved (I think they were using a different manufacturer than previously and that accounted for the difference in white tones).

Patty

Yeah, I had gotten a One Pounder in Off white years ago, when I finally used it and ran out in the middle of a project, I found out the colors were Drastically different. The old was like an ivory, the new an ecru! :eek I actually prefer the new, but had to frog that project.

a few years ago joanns had a great online sale on the caron one pounders so i bought about 100 of varying colours and used them to make patchwork afghans for yule presents. it was great, man now that i think about it i need to break it out to make some shawls for the rape crisis center.

I literally have about 50 Caron pounders in my house right now. I've used it for years and years and absolutely love it (except for this "new white" color they have).

Lots of afghan making ahead for me!

Caron One Pound and Perfect Match yarns are pretty much the same yarn. In fact, I'm pretty sure they are. I've been using Caron Pounds and Perfect Match for a while now. I prefer their yarn to Red Heart, and buy it instead whenever possible. Sadly, they have a limited color selection.

I mix Caron yarn and Red Heart Super Saver all the time. They work well together. I haven't had any trouble at all from combining the two brands. They wash up about the same, also.

Archived