How many brands of crochet hooks do you own?

How many different bands of crochet hooks do you own?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. How many different bands of crochet hooks do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 6
    • 7 - 8
    • 9 or More

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My brands:

Tulip (never used them -- they came as a set with an eBay auction. They look great with gold tips and plastic protectors.

Clover (Bought these in Taiwan. Came in a case -- full set of threads and yarn hooks. Cute scissors, gauge ruler and needles included.

Hero (My favorite yarn hooks. Mix of older ones. Threads and yarn.)

Bates (never intentionally bought one, but own some older thread ones with thread holders on the end)

Boye (own a ton of these as these were the ones available widely for a long time)

Aero (bought these from a shop in Canada because they are most like my beloved Hero hooks.

Primus (I have a set of these and have no recall where they came from, but they're very close to the older Hero hooks.)

Lee-Ward (Acquired a couple of these thread hooks at yard sales)

Bernat (I think I bought a couple of these from yarn shops. I like them for when I need to tighten up my stitches more than usual).

I love boye. They are the only ones I buy. I do have 2 hooks of another brand but I do not know what they are. I only bought them for the size on e-bay but I have never used them because I do not like the shape.

I probably have about 500 hooks, if you count the Knitting and crochet, I have multiples of every crochet hook, double ended crochet hooks, afghan hooks, every size of double pointed needles, multiples of knitting needles, A LOT and running out of room to hide them...lol...

I put down "4", but there's more...

Boye, Bates, Clover, Addi, Lion Brand, Bates Quicksilver, Turn of the Century, and some wooden hook I got for subscribing to some magazine.

I adore my Boye and Turn of the Century hooks, like Bates, not wild over the Addi ones (some yarn sort of sticks to the nickel plating), I love the Quicksilver ones for yarn that splits, and Clover and the wooden hook freebie are okay.

The only hooks I absolutely HATE are plastic ones (Lion Brand, some of my larger Bates). I find the yarn drags like crazy, which aggravates my tendonitis. I also can't use hooks that are too short, which is why I don't use those Clover Soft Touch hooks.

I have mostly Boye, my preference for hooks. I also have 1 or 2 Susan Bates, an old Hero, and a Primus. I believe the Primus was bought in Canada. I also have a few with no brand marked on them.

How Many different brands of crochet hooks do you own?

I voted 7-8. I didn't think I had that many until I started counting.

Boye, most of them.

Lighted hook, not sure who makes it.

Joanne sparkle hooks.

Skacel sparkle.

Blue big q, no idea who made it.

Lionbrand hook.

Susan Bates afghan hook

Maybe a couple more that I can't remember.

Are you a collector?

Not really.

Do you have a couple of favorite brands?

Apprently Boye since it's what I have and use the most. lol

I have hooks that were my mother's and grandmother's, from no later than the 70s, hooks I bought back then, a very few new ones I've bought recently, and some old ones I bought recently at an estate sale to get duplicates of my favorite single hook--a Boye steel #7, that has 10 cents stamped on it.

Thread hooks, I have Susan Bates, Boye, Milward (made in England), sizes from 00 to 12 and an unmarked on that might be a 13 or so. Yarn sizes, I pretty much only use Susan Bates inline aluminum, and I have sizes from K down to B, also a size zero and an aluminum-inline one that is marked 5 and is less than 2mm. I also have a 4.5mm size w/ no brand on it, and a Dyno (made in India) that is marked 6 and measures 4.5mm; I think my mom must have sought those out specially. I have a wooden Boye 14mm that I have no idea where I got; it has 15 and some letters written on it in pencil so I wonder if it cost 15 cents.

I don't collect hooks just to have a collection, I only buy what I need to work. But at the estate sale I had to buy a baggie full of hooks so I now have a lot of Boye hooks I won't probably ever use:think I really like the older hooks best--bought a couple of Susan Bates thread hooks recently and the sizes seem way off to me, smaller than they should be.

I'd like to try some new hooks like Aero or Addi, but will probably save my money for yarn instead:lol

I have boye, susan bates and some hooks that are like 60 years old.I have spurts where I favor using boye, and spurts where I favor susan bates or another brand.

Kim

I put down 9 or more. I have more than 200 hooks, from all over the place! We have some different brands in Australia to you guys over in the US....my favourites though are

Clover - the arthritic handle, and the crochet lites...they're great

Brittany - I just love those too

I bought a set from a craft show, that were imported from Japan, I couldn't read the brand name, as it was in Japanese, but they're fantastic. They have a gell part down the shaft, and a different size hook coming out either end. There's 5 of them, so 10 hook sizes in all.

I've also got a set of TOTC hooks coming, which I think will be my new favourites when they get here.

As to the other ones...they're non-descript aussie brands....nothing interesting.

I have two that I know for sure, Boye & Bates. I also have at least two that I found at the bottom of my sewing box that I inherited from either my mother in law or neighbor. I don't remember who gave the box to me. :blush I can't identify the mfg of the hooks. Small, steel I think. I'm pretty sure they were used to make the snowflakes that I also found at the bottom of the box.

anna

My favorites are my Quicksilvers and my hand-carved cherry wood ones that my husband got me for Christmas a couple of years ago (I have no idea what brand they are).

I have 3 brands, plus one antique homemade hook.

I have maybe close to 200 Susan Bates hooks. The aluminium kind.

I have one Brittany hook (size J) that I never use, because I'm afraid it's going to snap while I'm working on something.

I have about 4 Boye hooks. 3 of them I inherited from my grandmother (two are the small hooks to make doilies with) I dont think my grandmother ever had more than 7 or 8 hooks. The other Boye hook I got in a baggie of crochet/knit accessories that I bought from the clearance rack in Hobby Lobby. (I dont use Boye hooks, cant stand them)

The homemade hook is the oldest hook in my collection. It belonged to my great grandmother, according to my great aunt. She said that my great grandfather carved it for my g-grandma when she was still a little girl. My g-aunt was born just before the end of WWI (not quite sure of the year, but she's younger than grandma was, and grandma was born in 1913). G-grandma used it to crochet a lot of afghans and sweaters. My paternal grandmother inherited it when g-grandma died in the late 1960s.

I dont really remember my grandmother using that hook to make anything. I think she saved it for sentimental reasons. My dad's younger sister tossed it with a homemade knitting wheel (made by my grandmother's younger brother for her to make hats with) along with a stash of Workbasket magazines. My dad's sister-in-law went dumpster diving and rescued all the crochet and knitting stuff and gave it to me. Unfortunately she couldnt lift the 100yr + treadle sewing machine :2eek:cry:eek:( (I'm so depressed about that!) Thankgoodness for my dad's sister-in-law! She rescued a lot of history that day! (she also saved a half finished granny square afghan that my grandmother had started and never finished)

I need to do something with that antique crochet hook. I'm afraid the wood will dry out and it'll crumble, but I'm afraid to do anything to it for fear that trying to save it will damage it too. The guy who cuts my hair is a wood worker, I might ask him if he has any ideas what to put on the hook to try to preserve the wood for a bit longer.

I use Tulip cos nothing else here in Jakarta. So I only have silver and gold hooks. Kind of boring when using it :(

I saw online hooks from Susan Bates are colorful. So cute. I want to buy them one day :)

Archived