Hard Crochet Stetson Hat

CrochetDad

I recently purchased the book "Hard Crochet" by Mark Dittrick. On the cover is a Stetson-looking hat that is one of the projects explained in the book.

Here is my rendition of that hat:

th_2008-02-27-014_.jpg

If I look proud, it's because I really like this hat! (and so does my granddaughter - if you click the pic, you'll see)

Thanks for looking.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My granddaughter's personality matches her beautiful looks. She's a delight to be around. Of course that's coming from a proud grandpa!

I just used yarn that I had available - the main color was done with Caron One Pound worsted weight "Taupe" and for the band I used Red Heart burgundy, black and heather grey.

Your granddaughter is just beautiful!

I have the Hard Crochet book and Mark uses an olefin fiber and stems it until it is blocked and the yarn stiffens up.

How was your hat rendered? It looks really good!

Thanks to all for the nice comments on the hat and my beautiful granddaughter.

To answer some questions:

It's not felted - or even blocked yet - I just had to share the pictures. It's VERY firm, but you can put it in just about any shape you want and it'll stay there. I AM going to attempt to block it, though. I'll update here with the results.

I was disappointed when I couldn't locate the yarn Mr. Dittrick specified in the book, but I just HAD to try this hat. My success with the hat using regular acrylic yarn will probably inspire me to look further into trying to locate the modacrylic/acrylic yarn he specifies in the book.

Archived