Snuggles Project CAL

catsncrochet

I wasn't sure how many others are doing Snuggles for animals in shelters, but figured it'd be a fun to have a CAL for this.

The great thing about doing snuggles, is they're not that big and you can use up any "ugly" or scrap yarn you wish. The sizes they're looking for are 14"x14" "24x24" or "36x36."

If you go to www.snugglesproject.org, they have some crochet patterns listed...as well as knitting or sewing patterns.

They also have a directory of all the shelters that accept snuggles on their website.

Currently, I'm working on my 2nd Snuggle...using a skein of Pound of Love in yellow...that I bought on sale at Michael's over the weekend.

I'll post a pic of it later sometime this evening...when my DH can show me how to use his digital camera.

Aimee

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I may give this one a go. I just saw a posting that the animal shelter in the town next to me is looking for all sorts of donations. They are asking for yarn for their volunteers to use to crochet snuggles but I would like to make them myself :manyheart That reminds me to call or email them and ask for the details of what they want.

I have 2 blankets and a third one in progress to send. I havent actually looked into it, but my cats are real picky and I have some perfectly good canned cat food that they wont eat. Does anyone know if I could send this to the animal shelter too?

I am in on this CAL! This is a forever type project for me!

Elaine-the shelters around me accept donations of pet food, I would guess that most of them do.

I'd like to join in on this CAL. I just bought a bunch of yarn at my local Ollies (excellent price!) to do this for my local shelter. Might as well have some company while making the snuggles :)

The local humane society is not in the Snuggles list, so I called them and offered some blankies. This was Nov last yr.

I call my blankets Furryghans and I've sent 5 so far.

I have one more made and going to start another one tonight or tomorrow am.

I love the idea of helping the little angels in fur coat! :manyheart

If you go to my blog (URL below), you can see pics of my furry thingies and some of the blankets I have donated so far.

:cheer:cheer Hooray for you catsncrochet :cheer :cheer

Hey, everyone!

Thanks for joining me in this CAL. It's a cause dear to my heart.

Ok, so I can't find my husband's digital camera...know it's around here somewhere, but don't want to bug him to ask him where it is. He's had a long day and keeps dozing off. I'll post pics of my snuggles tomorrow. I'm hoping to have my 2nd Snuggle finished by tomorrow...am going to work on it tonight while I watch American Idol.

Aimee

I just started crocheting Snuggles for my local animal shelter last month. I found out about the Snuggle Project through someone else so I looked up my local shelter one day and they were on the list located at the Snuggle Project website so I started making them out of my scrap yarn. But when I took the Snuggles to drop them off, the lady at the animal shelter (who has been working there for 15 yrs) had no clue what I was talking about nor had anyone ever donated Snuggles to them before. She was tickled pink to receive them and wants more.I am assuming someone added my local shelter to the list, and I am not sure how to get your local shelter on the list. I did mail off the donation form (before I realized they had an online donation form) to the Snuggle Project, and they responded to me with a very nice email. My goal is to make 10 snuggles or more every month. So, for February I delivered 9 snuggles and a kitty bed. I will take pictures of the two that I have got made for my March donation and post them here for you all to see. Happy Snuggling and I am in on this CAL :cheer:clap.

Okay here are the 2 Snuggles I have made for my March donation :cheer:clap This one is 12" x 16"

002.jpg?t=1204168472

and this one is 12" x 14"

001-1.jpg?t=1204168532

I try to make them double strand for thickness and they feel more like a rug or mat than just a blanket. This size fits rather nicely in the kitty cages. I did make some larger ones for the puppies.

Hey scooby, they look great! The lady at my humane society had no idea about Snuggles either.

I made my blankies 20" squares or therebouts... you say 12" x 16" or 14" fits the cage (I hate to say cage), better?

Hey scooby, they look great! The lady at my humane society had no idea about Snuggles either.

I made my blankies 20" squares or therebouts... you say 12" x 16" or 14" fits the cage (I hate to say cage), better?

TY TY!! :cheer:clap Yes, or at least that is what the lady at my local shelter told me, so I try to make them in between a 12x12-12x16, depends on what pattern or stitcch I am using. And sometimes I make them 10 x 10 or 11X 11 (for the kittens). They did fit the kitty cages better in these sizes, but you may want to check the sizes of the kitty cages at your local shelter. The small snuggles run from a 12 x 12-20 x 20, medium is 20 x 20 - 32x32 and the large ones are 32 x 32 and bigger. I make the medium and large Snuggles for the puppies and dogs and the small Snuggles for the kittens and cats. I hate to say the word cage too but don't really know what else to call it :(.

When I donate, I go to the Snuggle Project website and print out a donation form and mail it to them. Usually what I do, is fill out my information on the form and let the local shelter fill out their information. And then I snail mail it to the address on the form, because the Snuggle Project likes to keep up with what shelters is being donated to, and how many are being donated by whom.

I hope this info helps you! Happy Snuggling:cheer:clap. In fact I am working on a new one now. Got to meet my goal of ten for this new month creeping up on us :lol.

Can you use any pattern/stitch you want or do they have to be the ones listed on the snuggles site? Thanks! Alice

Hi Alice,

Yes they do have some patterns listed on the web site, but you can use whatever colors, patterns or stitches you want. The shelter here is not particular, they are extremely appreciative of whatever I bring to them. My local shelter has a wish list, and the first time I donated I picked up a list, and now when I donate to them, I take them a box or bottle of laundry detergent (which was on their list) to help them keep the Snuggles washed.:cheer I just take them whatever I find on sale, or whatever is the cheapest. For my February donation, I bought the Kroger brand detergent for 2.99.

Thanks scooby. I have made mine one strand too. It never gets too cold here.

Good idea also about the detergent. Next time I'll get them some. They actually come to my house cause I cannot drive due to seizures. One of their staff members lives in my neighborhood.

I use any stitch and color. Whatever I have at hand. I just make sure the stitch is not too holey so their paws don't get stuck.

Let's hook for the furry friends. They deserve it. :hook:crocheting:manyheart

ScoobyDoo0811,

Oh, the Snuggles you made look so colorful and warm! I'm sure the kitties will love them.

The 2 Snuggles I've been doing have only been one stranded, but from this point on...mine are going to be double stranded so they provide more warmth.

Aimee

Ty Ty :cheer:clap and YVW 2Kute. Glad that I could help you all. I am so glad I found this site and have met all you wonderful people because now I am not croceting alone, as I have no one here who crochets and I just love doing all the charity work. I have true meaning behind all I am doing now, where before I would make things and it would just get tossed into a tote until I could find someone to give it to or I would start things and never finish them which was such a waste or yarn and time. I will probably have another Snuggle done today and I will take a picture and post it for everyone to see!!! Take care and happy :crocheting (snuggling ;)).

:hugto all!!:manyheart

ScoobyDoo0811,

Very pretty!

I can't imagine getting 10 a month done. I'm still working on my 2nd one...it came out 30" wide, so I have a few more inches to go in length before I'm done. I'm getting there, though.

I start work again on Monday. I know that'll cut into my crocheting time during the day, but I'll just set the evenings aside to be my "Snuggles" crochet time...oh and weekends too. lol.

Aimee

Aimee

I found a link for cat beds as well...

www.bevscountrycottage.com/cat-beds.html.

Aime

Hi Aime,

Ty!!! Ty for the link to cat bed. That isn't the one that I made, but that one looks similar and easy to make. I will look/search and see if I can find the one I made and post it here, as it is a free pattern for all to use.

Wooo Hooo, you are almost done with your 2nd one!! Good job. 10 a month isn't too bad, especially if you are doing the smaller ones. But sometimes I do find it challenging, especially if I have a lot going on at/for school. I am on spring break this coming week and I plan on doing as little as possible except :crocheting. :lol:cheer:clap

Are you going to post any pictures:)

Happy Snuggling all and take care!! Keep up the great work.

Hi Aime,

Ty!!! Ty for the link to cat bed. That isn't the one that I made, but that one looks similar and easy to make. I will look/search and see if I can find the one I made and post it here, as it is a free pattern for all to use.

Wooo Hooo, you are almost done with your 2nd one!! Good job. 10 a month isn't too bad, especially if you are doing the smaller ones. But sometimes I do find it challenging, especially if I have a lot going on at/for school. I am on spring break this coming week and I plan on doing as little as possible except :crocheting. :lol:cheer:clap

Are you going to post any pictures:)

Happy Snuggling all and take care!! Keep up the great work.

Hi ScoobyDoo0811...

Yay! I finished my 2nd snuggle this morning. :yay I've been crocheting for the past couple hours.

We have great :crocheting weather today. It's overcast and a little on the chilly side. As soon as I get a couple errands out of the way, I plan on starting my 3rd Snuggle.

I'm planning on taking pics...eventually. lol. Don't worry. I will before I take them to the shelter.

Aimee

Archived