Mrs Weasley's Sweater in Harry Potter...

sadie

Question

Hi,

Has anyone seen the second Harry Potter movie, The Chamber of Secrets? In the scene where Harry first gets to the Weasleys and Mrs Weasley is serving breakfast, she is wearing this really great multi-coloured cardigan with huge 'bell' sleeves.

Does anyone know where I can find a pattern for such a sweater?

Sadie

• Answers 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno if you'll find a crochet pattern for it with any kind of ease. As sem464 pointed out, Mrs. Weasley is a knitter. I dunno, maybe you're right Diamond, but I always simply assumed that all the famous Weasley sweaters were knitted, just like in the books.

They are supposed to be knitted, as in the book, but Lindy Hemming (designer of the sweaters) designed them but didn't actually make them, costume knitters did and that is how the sleeves on Mrs. W's sweater came to be crocheted. The body is knitted but the sleeves are definately crocheted (whether movie-goers are supposed to know that or not, anyone with decent needlework skills will know it, just look at those sleeves). There is no pattern as Lindy Hemming won't allow a pattern to be released.

Sjkmaurice, it was Ron's mother. Which is actually incorrect by the books. Neither Ron's nor Harry's has their initial on it. In the book, Mrs. Weasley put letters only on Ron's school-attending elder brother's sweaters. Fred and George to distinguish, because they're identical twins, and Percy's because, according to Fred, it also stands for prefect, which Percy was.

Sorry, that was probably more than you ever wanted to know. ::points to profile:: Card-carrying Harry Potter nut.

Anywho, yeah. She knits sweaters for Christmas every year, and so Weasley sweaters are a famous yearly staple of the Potterverse to fanatics. You can bet that even if the sleaves of her sweater were crocheted in the movie, no one was supposed to notice... a Weasley sweater is always knitted.

I agree, we ought to be able to figure it out. Increases through out the row/rows should work. & yes there are different stitches in diff. rows. After all, she was a very busy woman & a little haphazzard (sp.?:lol )

She's on the right track with the sleeves but I think they need to be even bigger. It looks good though.:clap I've been dying for this pattern; I also watch the movie often to make notes and sketches. I just wish Mrs Weasley wasn't wearing that apron so that you could see the body of the sweater.

With the popularity of this pattern you'd think that someone involved in costuming in the movie would show us some mercy and publish the pattern already! I've been to a lot of discussion groups where there are a lot of us trying to figure it out.:think

At last! Borrowed a camera this evening, so here's a pic of the finished cardigan :clap

cardigan.jpg

It's a shame I haven't an orange sweater to wear under it as Molly did in the film though - maybe that's the next garment to make.... but would orange suit me?

Jo

After trying to figure this pattern out...PLEASE...Anyone who does; could you please share the pattern? I'd LOVE to make this. Thank you! :yay

Wow, that's beautiful Jo!! So colorful. Your sleeves are much fuller at the bottom than mine. Very nice. Is that you in the pic? With the long brown hair, I think orange would look very good! Great job! Hope you sell a million!! :cheer:clap:yay

It appears that I seem to mislead people into thinking this sleeve pattern is totally free. I'm having to charge $7.50 for it, simply because I can't afford not to :( Once Megan has finished verifying the instructions, it will be sent by email as a PDF file, after payment either by Paypal or Bankers Draft paid in Sterling UK£. I'm so sorry if anyone feels it should be free, or if they feel I've misled them into thinking it would be.

e-mail joATfruitcatsDOTcoDOTuk if you want - I'm always happy to answer questions, or put you on the "Weasley sleeve" mail-list for people interested in the progress so far.

adbda86e.gifThud1.gif That's soooo beautiful, Jo!!

Excellent job! :clap

For non knitters, do you think simply crocheting a sweater would do?

(I'm not even sure I could crochet a sweater, :lol , but I'd have to attach those awesome sleeves to something!!!!!)

Gosh, it's just so pretty!!!

Archived