Just The Way I Like 'em Dishcloth

Krakovianka

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finished one of these and they are great. My daughter was just asking me to make her some washcloths and this pattern is just right. Thanks!!:clap

Thanks for this pattern.

I usually knit my dishcloths to get the right hand feel, but I would much rather crochet. This looks like it will solve that too-heavy feel crocheted dishcloths seem to have.

Thank you so much. I'm another one who likes thinner cloths for dishes, and for the face and body. With the thicker ones, I feel like I'm trying to do everything with a fat bath towel. One of my sisters even knit me some, but they are too fat also.

I'm going to try this pattern. I can't beleive I just said that! I did a Back Loop Front Loop halfdouble crochet square that I dubbed "Frog City" because I had to frog it so many times. I swore it would be my last. LOL

But I have been wanting to make a diagonal dishcloth and this sounds and looks so good. I'm going to risk it. I will let you know if I start pulling my hair out!

Thanks for the pattern. I think. LOL :)

Update: I LOVE IT !! I chose a Sport Weight cotton yarn and a 4.5mm hook (large) to achieve an open lacy look. It is so much easier this time. The loops are much easier to see with the smoother cotton yarn. It is looking gorgeous and I love the flexible feel to the fabric. :)

• 4 months later...

Just got around to viewing some of the posted free patterns. Thank you for this. I already starting using it with some s&c yarn someone gave me. I am going to give it back to them in this dishcloth pattern. I noticed that with my tension and a smaller hoot, that this pattern actually came out as a diamond shape instead of square. :) It also was a little stiff, so is a hot pad instead. You could use this pattern to make an afghan if you wished. The method would be simular to the diagnal block stitch pattern.

Thank you again!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm putting this in my to do list, maybe make a couple of them as Christmas presents for friends. Thanks for sharing the pattern!

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to trying this pattern and I love it. This dishcloth is stretchy, not too thick, and I love seeing the pattern develop. Thank you Karen, for sharing this.

I do have a question, though. How can I get it to be more square, less diamond shaped? Do you think I need to use a larger hook or looser tension, or any other ideas? While this works just fine for me, I would like to give some as gifts and would rather they be more square.

th_100_2364.jpg clickable.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :hug

That's the only stitch I ever use for dishcloths for the same reason as yours, but I've never done it corner to corner. I've knit them corner to corner, though, lol.

I think it's a great idea for incorporating different colors...can't wait to try your pattern out. Thank you so much for sharing!

I do have a question, though. How can I get it to be more square, less diamond shaped? Do you think I need to use a larger hook or looser tension, or any other ideas? While this works just fine for me, I would like to give some as gifts and would rather they be more square.

th_100_2364.jpg clickable.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :hug

Recently, I've been leaving off the last row of plain sc--I don't think it's needed. In fact, I may go edit the directions and change it. I've just been fastening off when I get down to 3 stitches, and I think it makes that corner less elongated.

To make them squarer, I just stretch them into shape. If you can't do that, try using a larger hook so the whole thing is looser. With use, they tend to go rhomboid anyway, but so do the knit ones. It's the nature of the corner-to-corner method.

I've been playing around and have come up with a mitered square version of this dishcloth--I'll share that one soon, as soon as I finish the one I'm working on and can take a picture.

Recently, I've been leaving off the last row of plain sc--I don't think it's needed. In fact, I may go edit the directions and change it. I've just been fastening off when I get down to 3 stitches, and I think it makes that corner less elongated.

To make them squarer, I just stretch them into shape. If you can't do that, try using a larger hook so the whole thing is looser. With use, they tend to go rhomboid anyway, but so do the knit ones. It's the nature of the corner-to-corner method.

I've been playing around and have come up with a mitered square version of this dishcloth--I'll share that one soon, as soon as I finish the one I'm working on and can take a picture.

Thank you! I'll try your suggestions...even if I don't get a perfect square, I'll continue to use this pattern. I've used this same stitch to crochet dishcloths from side to side and I prefer using it on the diagonal. Seems to go faster for some reason, plus I love seeing the patterns develop in the variegated yarn. (It doesn't take much to amuse me! :D)

Looking forward to your new pattern.

Have a good night.

WOW! I don't know how I missed this post before. I absolutely Love the pattern. I have never used the crocheted dishcloths because I don't like holes and I like to wring them out so they are just damp.!!!

I can't wait to work one of these up.

Thank you Thank you Thank you.

Toni

P.S. You should really write more patterns for your work. It is really stunning. I love everything you have posted pictures of and would love to make some of the things.

LOL

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the pattern. I'm going to try it but with a couple of changes - I'm not going to do the one row worked evenly, and when I decrease down to three stitches I'll draw up loop in each of 3 remaining sts, yo and draw through all 4 loops on hook. Break off.

Archived