Just The Way I Like 'em Dishcloth

Krakovianka

This just barely could be considered a pattern--it's more of an explanation and general directions, in which I hold no claim to copyright.

I like my dishcloths light and stretchy. I don't like to make them with double crochet stitches, because they feel too thick and bulky to me. I want to be able to wring out my cloth well, and I don't like holes. After a good bit of experimenting, this method makes dishcloths "just the way I like 'em."

Any cotton (or cotton blend) yarn can used, with any hook appropriate for the yarn. I've made them with worsted weight cotton, and fairly fine cotton, simply changing the hook to suit the yarn (a slightly larger than normal hook makes the cloth even stretchier). The cloth is worked corner to corner, so you can make them whatever size you prefer (I usually try to make mine between 8 and 9 inches square).

The pattern is worked in all sc (alternating between back and front loops) with increases at both ends of each row until the halfway point (which is wherever you decide it should be), then one row worked evenly (no increases or decreases), then decreases at both ends of each row until you finish.

Begin with ch 4.

Sc in second ch from hook, and in next 2 ch. (3 sc)

ch 1 and turn.

2sc in *back loop* of first sc, sc in *front* loop of middle sc, 2sc in *back loop* of last sc.

From now on, you will work in this pattern:

ch 1 and turn.

2sc in *back loop* of first sc, then sc across row, alternating between front loop and back loop. 2sc in the last stitch, which should always be a back-loop.

Continue this pattern, increasing each row, until your cloth is 1/2 the size you want it to be. Ch 1, turn, and work evenly in pattern (always beginning and ending with a back loop sc) for one row, then begin decreasing in this way:

ch 1 and turn.

Decrease by inserting hook in back loop of first stitch and drawing up yarn, then inserting hook in front loop of second stitch and drawing up yarn. YO, and draw yarn through 3 loops on hook. Follow the back loop, front loop pattern of sc until you reach the last two stitches. Decrease, but this time you will insert your hook into the front loop first, and the back loop second (the first and last stitches should always be made in the back loops).

Continue decrease rows until you have only 3 stitches left.

ch 1 and turn, sc in each of those 3 stitches, fasten off and weave in ends.

I prefer not to put a border around this, because that interferes with the stretchiness I like. These are more functional than pretty!

2293990518_d363cdb762.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds like a great pattern ,I'm thinking of changing the colour scheme of my kitchen and wash room witch is just off the kitchen to red and pink(strange I know) it is or was red yellow & royal blue,it's gradually being changed over when I made a trinket box and Delsi Doll(toilet tissue cover ) for the wash room,how soft is it would it work as a wash cloth also.

Ok I am trying it and I am loving the feel of it. I also like a lot of stretch and I have yet to find a dishcloth pattern that was functional for me. I think this is the ticket!! Thanks so much!

Catheryn - give it a whirl yet?

Wow, I didn't expect so much enthusiasm for such a simple thing. :) Glad you all approve! I think it's neat to know that it was called the Apple Seed stitch--that's cool. Probably makes a better name than "Just the way I like 'em."

I tried this pattern side to side, but I liked it better corner to corner in the end. I didn't say this, but they work up pretty quickly, in spite of being all single crochet. I tried working it "in the round," too, but without turning, it doesn't come out the same.

Thank you for the pattern. I've been trying all kinds of granny square patterns to find a dishcloth I like, but haven't found it yet. Perhaps this will be the one - it sounds great!

Archived