Woodridge Mountain Scarf and Hats (img heavy)

LeahB

I recently made a Scarf and two hats from the Woodridge Mountain Scarf and Hat patterns from crochetgarden.com. The scarf I made using Patons Lana, as is the bigger hat. For the smaller hat, I used Wool Ease. I did adapt the patterns a little. The scarf I did as written, but the hats called for a simpler brim - it was more of a stripey looking pattern with just front and back post stitches). I decided I wanted to continue the cable pattern on the brim, so I figured out how to match up the cables from the hat with the cables for the brim. I think it worked better for the bigger hat (that was the second one that I did)

Here is the scarf:

leah13_scarf01.jpg

A close up of the stitch pattern:

leah14_scarf02.jpg

And finally, the hats:

leah15_hats.jpg

Thank you everyone for your comments. I really love these patterns. They were my first foray into the world of cables, and I am hooked :hook.

These are beautiful!!! Worthy of being in a store. I'm impressed. What would you say the skill level is?

I'm not really sure about the skill level. On her site, Lisa rates them as intermediate/advanced. I think that is probably accurate.

I didn't find them to be too tricky. There was a little bit of a learning curve at the beginning in figuring out how to get things to look like they do in the pictures, but once you have the pattern down, especially for the scarf, it is just a matter of doing the repeats. Probably the hardest part about the scarf is getting the hang of how she has written it so that you have the cables on both sides. That took me a bit of trial and error, but the pattern has lots of pictures in it to guide you along those early steps, so as I was making my attempts, and they weren't working, I would just try again, and see if interpreting things slightly differently would give me the picture I needed (can you tell I'm a visual person?). Once it looked like the picture, I knew I was golden.

One really nice thing about the scarf is that it is REALLY warm. Since it is designed to have cables on both sides, it also results in a double thickness. I think it has worked well for my brother, who walks about a mile to the train station every morning.

Archived