Spring Swing Dress 12-24 mo

Shellie

Spring Swing Dress (12-24 mo)

Finished Measurements:

Chest: 18"

Armholes: 4"

Length: 17"

MATERIALS

(I used Lion Brand Pound of Love and a fingering yarn but it could be made all sport wt with no problem)

2 skeins main color (MC) [For the six year old I am using 5 oz skeins for more accuracy]

1 skien contrast color ©

E (fingering yarn), F (skirt) and H (bodice) hooks (E only if using fingering for the contrast)

yarn needle

{2} 1/2 inch buttons or two snap sets

thread for buttons (I used two strands of a matching embroidery floss color)

measuring tape

NOTES (there are a lot, sorry, trying to make sure beginners can make this too)

Chain one and turn at every row UNLESS it tells you different

If you are working in rows and the last stitch is a ch 1, then ch 1 and sl st in the sc below your ch 1

Joining a long chain is much easier if you leave a longer tail when you make your foundation chain and join after you have made at least one other row. Use the tail to sew up the small gap left. Thank Darski for that tip!

If the first stitch of a new row starts with the ch 1, then tighten your turning chain on your hook as

much as possible before you form the ch 1 stitch to avoid confusion

Rows are joined, rounds are not

If the first st at a decrease is a ch 1, it will be easier to simply skip the ch and sc in the next st

Working in the back ridge of the foundation chain eliminates the gap left by stitching in the free loops

I work very very tightly, you may need bigger hooks-I will include measurements so you can add or subtract rows as needed

PATTERN STITCH

1) ( [sc, ch 1] in the first stitch, sk the next st) repeat across; ch 1 and turn

2) (sc around each ch, ch 1, sk the scs [the ch 1's take the place of the scs]) repeat across; ch 1 and turn

Repeat both rows until desired size BUT the pattern can end on either row

Cluster Stitch

4 dc's in the same stitch, keeping the last two loops on the hook each time. After the last dc, hook through all the loops on the hook.

Bodice-work in rounds

Ch 91 with MC and "H", using the back ridge of the foundation chain; sc in the 2nd chain from the hook and across, join in the first sc being careful not to twist your chain-DO NOT TURN-you can join later if it would be easier, just make a few more rows then join

R1 is right side

1-16) Work in pattern, ending on a wrong side row [when you turn you should be on the right side] Measure your

piece, if it is not 4" then work a few more rows, being sure to end on an even number DO NOT FINISH OFF

Shape back armholes [rs] work in rows now

1) sl st in the first three stitches, work in pattern for the next 39 stitches; ch 1 and turn

2)Sl st in the first stitch (first dec made), ch 1, sc in the next stitch; work in pattern for the next 34 stitches; ch 1, sl st in the next sc, skip the last stitch (2nd dec made); ch 1 and turn (37 st)

3) Sl st in the first stitch, ch 1, sc in the next st; work in pattern for the next 32 st; ch 1, sl st in the next sc, sk the last stitch; ch 1 and turn (35 st)

4-10) Work in pattern; ch 1 and turn at the end of all rows DO NOT FINISH OFF

Shape first strap and neck for back [rs]

1) Work in pattern over the next 10 stitches; ch 1 and turn (10 st)

2) Sk the first stitch, sc in the next; work the last eight in pattern; ch 1 and turn (9 st)

3)Work the first seven st in pattern; ch 1, sl st in the sc from R2; ch 1 and turn (8 st)

4-25)Work in pattern; ch 1 and turn

26) Work the first three stitches in pattern; ch 2, sk the next 2 st [buttonhole]; finish the last three in pattern

27) Work in pattern, treating the chs like regular st; ch 1 and turn

28, 29) Work in pattern

30) Repeat Row 26 for second buttonhole

31) Repeat Row 27

32, 33) Work in pattern; finish off after the last row

Shape second strap and neck for back [rs]

Sk the next 15 st; fasten MC with sl st, ch 1

1) Work in pattern until the end of the row; ch 1 and turn (10 st)

2) Work the next nine st in pattern, sk the last st; ch 1 and turn (9 st)

3)Sk the first st, sc in the next, work in pattern until the end; ch 1 and turn (8 st)

Rows 4-33 are a repeat of the first strap

Shape front armholes [rs]

Sk the first three st from the back bodice, fasten MC with sl st in the next; ch 1

1)Sc in the first st, work in pattern for the next 39 st; skip the last three; ch 1 and turn

2)Sl st in the first stitch (first dec made), ch 1, sc in the next stitch; work in pattern for the next 34 stitches; ch 1, sl st in the next sc, skip the last stitch (2nd dec made); ch 1 and turn (37 st)

3) Sl st in the first stitch, ch 1, sc in the next st; work in pattern for the next 32 st; ch 1, sl st in the next sc, sk the last stitch; ch 1 and turn (35 st)

4-10) Work in pattern; ch 1 and turn at the end of all rows DO NOT FINISH OFF

Shape first strap and neck for front [rs]

1) Work in pattern over the next 10 stitches; ch 1 and turn (10 st)

2) Sk the first stitch, sc in the next; work the last eight in pattern; ch 1 and turn (9 st)

3)Work the first seven st in pattern; ch 1, sl st in the sc from R2; ch 1 and turn (8 st)

4-11) Work in pattern; finish off after the last row

Shape second strap and neck for front [rs]

Sk the first 15 st after the first strap, fasten on MC with sl st, ch 1

1) Work in pattern over the 10 st left; ch 1 and turn

2)Work in pattern for the first nine st; sk the last st; ch 1 and turn (9 st)

3)Sk the first st, work in pattern over the remaining 8 st; ch 1 and turn (8 st)

4-11) Repeat 4-11 of the first strap; finish off after the last row

Skirt- [rs] worked in rounds Use "F" for skirt

Fasten on MC with sl st on opposite side of foundation chain anywhere you want (I picked under the armhole)

1)2 scs in the same st as joining, (1 sc in the next st, 2 in the next) around; join in the first sc, ch 1 and turn

2, 3) Sc in each sc around; join; ch 4 (first dc and ch 1 of R4) DO NOT TURN

4)Sk next st, (cluster in the next, sk next sc, ch 1, sk next sc, dc in the next, ch 1)repeat around; join in the third chain

of initial ch 4; change to CC; ch 1 and turn

5, 6)Sc in each sc around; join in the first sc, ch 1 and turn

7)Sc in each sc around; join in the first sc, change to MC; ch 3 (first dc of repeat pattern) and turn

Repeated skirt pattern-Do the next seven rows until you have the desired length of skirt

1)Dc in the same st as the ch 3; ch 1 and sk the next sc; (2 dcs in the next st, ch 1, sk the next sc) around; join in the

third chain of the initial ch 3; DO NOT TURN FOR THE REST OF THE SKIRT

2-6)Sl st in the next dc and ch 1; ch 3, dc, ch 1 in the same space; (Sk the next 2 dcs, 2 dcs, ch 1 in the next ch 1 space) around; join in the 3rd chain of initial ch 3-at the end of R6 change to CC and ch 3

7)Dc in each dc and ch 1 space around; join to third ch of ch 3.

I repeated this for 3 sets but you can do it more for a longer skirt, just end with Row 7 and fasten off

Skirt trim [rs]

Join MC with sl st in first dc after the ch 3 from the last R7 (its hard to crochet into those chains where you joined)

Ch 3, sl st in the next dc all the way around; join to first sl st and fasten off

Bodice trim [rs]

Join CC with sl st in any sc at the armhole, sc around the neck, shoulders, straps, etc, decreasing at corners to give

finished look, join to first sc and fasten off. The exact number is not important, it just finishes it off.

Sew on the buttons and after weaving in all those pesky ends you are done. If you want to use snaps then just eliminate the buttonholes.

THIS IS NOT TESTED Please let me know if you have any difficulties

post-15976-135897510565_thumb.jpg

post-15976-135897510572_thumb.jpg

post-15976-135897510575_thumb.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great pattern! If one wanted to make this for a newborn, what yarn and hook would you recommend? Would there be any changes to the pattern as well as yarn and hook size?

Thanks! Can't wait to try it!

I have no idea on that stuff yet, I have only made the one size. I am working on a pattern for a six year old and a four year old. After those are complete I will attempt other sizes. :)

I'm hoping that I can make this up a bit littler, since I have a niece incoming next month and would LOVE to make something for her!! :D

Thank you so much for sharing this gorgeous pattern; even if I can't make it small enough for her to wear now, she'll have it for when she grows into it! :hug

I'm hoping that I can make this up a bit littler, since I have a niece incoming next month and would LOVE to make something for her!! :D

Thank you so much for sharing this gorgeous pattern; even if I can't make it small enough for her to wear now, she'll have it for when she grows into it! :hug

I think if you went down a couple of hook sizes you could make it much smaller. I have to work to make things bigger because I crochet extremely tight! There is a crease on my finger that lasts over an hour after I am done. lol

Thank you so much for sharing your pattern Shellie!! They are truly beautiful & I will probably make one in every size! lol

I'm wanting to start making this one now but I want to check with you before starting....do I crochet the bodice with the H hook and then switch to the F hook for the skirt?

Thank you so much for sharing your pattern Shellie!! They are truly beautiful & I will probably make one in every size! lol

I'm wanting to start making this one now but I want to check with you before starting....do I crochet the bodice with the H hook and then switch to the F hook for the skirt?

I used the H for the bodice because I crochet pretty tightly. I didn't want to create a strait jacket. lol With the increases in the hip area though you can use an F to get a more delicate look to the skirt. So to make a long story short (too late I know LOL) use an H for the bodice and an F for the skirt. You might have to go down to a G for the bodice if its too loose, I included some measurements so you could tell if your crocheting needed a different size.

Please ask any questions you need too, I am not that wonderful at writing these and you might think of things I didn't! I hope to be able to write sellable patterns but so far I think I am better off selling finished stuff. lol That is if I would quit giving it away. :blush

Archived