Help with join in top of chain 3

Chrissypa

Question

Hello, I am doing aggie may's round ripple. It is coming out beautifully all but the ch-3. I think it really stands out and looks sloppy. Can anyone give me any pointers to make it look better? I am almost half way. I can attach a picture but not until about 12am tonight because I have to go to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Hugs, Chrissy

19 answers to this question

I frogged it down to row 2. I am on row 6 and it already looks better. I am using bernat softee baby. Mint, pale blue and lemon. I am going like this. 6 mint green, and then 3 blue, 3 lemon then 3 green and so forth. Thanks for the complement! I didn't know how it would look so I took a chance and I am really liked it so far. I will post this next one when I get the same number of rows and see if you think it is better. Thanks again! Hugs, Chrissy

that is the way mine look when I make them, I will try to do it the way colleen said and see if that helps mine. I am glad to see that big picture.

Sherri

I have 5 rows to go yet (I didn't realize how long the last rows take)and then the border. I have to work tonight so I won't be home until midnight. I have to work the next 5 days so I will try to get it done over the weekend and post it. Hugs, Chrissy

:cheerYou do not need perfect.:cheer

:lolPerfect is made in a factory by a Robot.:lol

Remember, your afghan will not generally be laid out for all to see, it will be folded, draped, snuggled under or something else so you are worrying far too much.

Anyone you give it to will be absolutely thrilled because it is so pretty.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

PS, As for joining in a new colour. You cannot do it by the normal method because you are doing a SL ST after the join. I always completely break off the yarn and pull it through the last loop, as if I am completely finished, then I start off again, in the stitch I would have SL STed into. I hold both yarn tails together and hook the new colour through then do my CH3 to stand as the first stitch, then I work over both of the tails as I do the first few stitches.

Mine still isn't perfect but I keep trying and can't get it perfect. I don't know if I am gonna do another ripple (even though I love them) because of it. I am gonna finish this one tonight and I will post a pic. I think another problem I am having is the changing colors right at the chain 3. For some reason I can't get it right. I tried to do it in the last DC in the row but I just can't seem to make it look right. Oh well, Thanks for all the help! Hugs, Chrissy

:cheerYou really will not be sorry that you took it back to start again.

Some things end up bugging you so much you just have to.

I am certainly not a perfectionist, the exact opposite, but sometimes unravelling is the best option.

If at any stage, you miss the SL ST on the odd occasion, you can just work 2 stitches together on that group on the next row but only occasionally.

If you look closely at most of my RRs you will find lots of places where I had added in a stitch or reduced a stitch rather than unravel back to my mistake.

As long as they are not all in the same place, it is not a problem.

I love your colour scheme and have used the same in a regular ripple, when I was making a baby blanket for an unborn baby and the mum didnt find out what it was until the birth.

As I said earlier, your crocheted stitches are very even and neat so your afghan is going to look superb when you get it finished.

Looking forward to seeing the completed afghan in pictures.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Hi Chrissy. I am sure Colleen will be able to give you all the info you need to cure the problem:cheer

I like the colors you are using and to me, it looks great overall, the rest of the stitches are nice and even. The ch3 does kind of stand out and yeah if it were me I would probably rip out and start over. If it is bothering you now it will always bother you.

I have found that sometimes I need to make ch2 instead of ch3 to make the ch fit in with the dc...depends on tension, yarn, and what the pattern is, I think. So that is just a thought for future reference.

Do have fun with it!

:cheerAre you SL STing into the top of the Chain or into the space created by it?

You know how you work into a CH when working a foundation row in a normal pattern? Well, the top of the CH is the same as that, just on its side.

Just put the hook into the place below the top two loops and above the bottom one.

Here is a link to a couple of pictures I took to show you what I mean.

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Aggie2may/?action=view&current=100_0866.jpg

This should take you to my album where you can see the picture bigger.

th_100_0866.jpg

Let me know it they help.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Archived