Help with my first attempt at thread crochet

SassyCMA06

Good morning ladies,

I chose this pattern as my first attempt at thread crochet: http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/ppdoily.html

I've already ran into what I think is a problem. It says to use a crochet hook size 6. Now. If I'm reading my needles right, that is a "G" hook, isn't it? Ok, so I tried that and it doesn't look right- it seems too big. Wouldn't I have to use a steel hook for this? :think

Since I've never used thread, I'm not sure what its supposed to look like. Maybe its must that my eyes and fingers are used to WW acrylic. :lol

That is a great pattern, Yes you will use a steel hook, size 6 with thread size 10 The G won't work... Good luck and any other questions make sure and ask....Thread crochet is very addictive... Good luck

I'll never know why they use the same numbers for both steel hooks and aluminum hooks! (which is why I use metric) ;)

Good luck with the doily. :)

Sassy, that is an AWFUL big doily to make for your FIRST attempt..

here is one that i like to use ALOT. not as many rounds. maybe you might want to try it.(it says to use yarn i think,,,,,but i do it up in #10 thread & 6 hook.it comes out SOOOO nice. gave a BUNCH of them away at CHristmas.

anyway, good luck on the one you are doing....i know you can do it!!!!!:clap

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/pineplace.htm

judy

• 2 weeks later...

They are calling for a steel hook. The other posters are correct BUT if you should ever want to make it with yarn such as baby yarn or maybe heavier crochet thread, you can use a D hook or acutally any smaller size hook - a c maybe. It turns out much bigger and may be easier to learn with. I've done several with fingerling yarns and they are fine. I normally use thin thread but have experimented with other yarns and needles. I have to also agree it is a big project for the first time. Good luck!

Bonnie

Archived