Need help with Pattern, PLEASE

MomaChet

Question

So I am diong my first ripple blanket. this may be second knowledge to every one else, but I am having trouble with this one stitch, and wonder if I am reading it wrong, or if it was written wrong. I will copy and paste:

Row 1 Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next 5 ch, 3 sc in next ch, (sc in next 5 ch, skip next 2 ch, sc in next 5 ch, 3 sc in next ch) 8 times, sc in next 6 ch. Fasten off. Do not turn.

Row 2 Working in back loops only, join yarn with slip st in first sc. Ch 1, sc2tog, sc in next 5 sc, 3 sc in next sc, (sc in next 5 sc, skip next 2 sc, sc in next 5 sc, 3 sc in next sc) 8 times, sc in next 5 sc, sc2tog. Turn.

So, my question is, I am working the whole 2nd row in reverse? Since it said not to turn? Why wouldn't it specify that the stitches need to be in reverse too? I am also having alittle trouble with the sc2tog stitch. I have tried to find it on Stitch guide, and I can't. IT explains it in the pattern, just one of those visual kind of people. Can anyone help? here is the whole pattern:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/cctq-rippleAfghan.html

20 answers to this question

see this is what it says about the color sequence:

COLOR SEQUENCE

Work starting chain and Row 1 in A, then work (3 rows B, 2 rows C, 3 rows D, 2 rows A) 10 times.

So, even though I would be working with the same color, I would have to tie off, and start back where I started the 1st row?

If you're working with the same color, there's no need to tie off. Just turn your work and go back the way you came.

Agreeing with Vicky. Most things can't be stretched much. Blocking is really only to make a piece more straight and even. It's only going to have a minor effect on the size.

hi what kind of yarn did you use. most of the acrylics can'r be stretched to much. cotton has some, and wool of course, but like red heart? nope, unlesss maybe if you get it wet, you can do it, but then you have to block it by hand. cause if you wash it in the machine and dry it in the machine, it will go back to its original size. maybe you could use it for a lapghan instead. sorry your having so much trouble:hug :hug :hug vicki

Thank you girls. I have been working on it all night. I am alittle frustrated. Why do I insist on crocheting too tight? I knew I did. but this is getting crazy. YEs, that is right, I DIDN"T do a gauge:blush I usually know to go up in a hook,, because of this. I wonder if there is a way I could stretch it in the end? :(

I printed the pattern and tried it out on enough stitches to give me a couple of repeats.:think

Here is my take on it.

The reason there is only one row of colour A at the start is because it finishes with 2 rows of A and then a round of SC is worked along the edges and across the other side of the starting CH and back down the other side to the end. This puts 2 rows of Colour A at each end.

The first row of the pattern with Colour A is easy to work out, just do it and fasten the thread off as normal. Now go back to the start and pull a loop through the 1st SC then CH1. Now work a DEC (Decrease) over the stitch the CH1 is on and the next stitch, by following the instructions under stitch explanation at the top of the page.

Work your 5 SC then the 3 SC into the middle SC of the 3 in the previous row. Continue to follow the pattern. There is a DEC at both ends of the row but that is to balance with the increases. It does go straight on the sides even though it looks like a slope because of the DEC.

I dont see the point in working into the back loop only on this row. I know it makes a ridge but if you did not do it there would not be a problem.

My other suggestion would be to use the stitch but make your own colour sequence keeping an even number of rows in each colour but doing 2 rows, 4 rows, 6 rows or similar. It will make it a bit harder to know exactly how much yarn you will need.

I love this pattern done with lots of bright colours with 2 rows of black thrown in every so often then a black border on it. The colours can be random and the black seems to bind it all together.

:think :think :think

I hope I have not confused you.

PM me if you need any more info.

Be assured though, the pattern does work.:cheer

Colleen

You may find that you need to go back to the beginning of the previous row and work in the same direction. then you turn the work and pick up the previous colour and work with that.

I am not sure but if I could see the full instructions I could probably work it out by doing a bit of the pattern for you.

:cheer

Let me know with a PM if necessary.

Colleen

K.............are you ready.............:bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang K, seriously, why didn't I see that it said FASTEN OFF in the first row. You even showed it to me again..........................:bang :bang Seriously, you can take a bat to my head anytime. I hope I get this now. If not, I might have cried wolf too many times.:(

Seems dumb to me

LOL, yeah, I get most frustrated when LB has patterns with mistakes. They are pretty big, I would think that most of the mistakes would be handled before publishing. This hasn't been the first. But I amy be wrong.:hook

I may be wrong here, but I think it goes:

Row 1 - don't turn

Row 2,3 - turn

Row 4 - don't turn

Row 5 - turn

Row 6 - don't turn

Row 7,8 - turn

Row 9 - turn

and on.

Seems dumb to me.

Edit - I haven't done this pattern. I just used the ripple stitch from My Stitch Bible and changed colors every couple rows.

Rows 3 and 4 Ch 1, working in both loops, sc2tog, sc in next 5 sc, 3 sc in next sc, (sc in next 5 sc, skip next 2 sc, sc in next 5 sc, 3 sc in next sc) 8 times, sc in next 5 sc, sc2tog. Turn. At end of Row 4, fasten off.

I think turn is the key word here. :D

Edited to add: I've done a couple simple ripples and I didn't fasten off. I just turned on every row.

see this is what it says about the color sequence:

COLOR SEQUENCE

Work starting chain and Row 1 in A, then work (3 rows B, 2 rows C, 3 rows D, 2 rows A) 10 times.

So, even though I would be working with the same color, I would have to tie off, and start back where I started the 1st row?

First off, here is a site that will maybe help you with the sc dec.

http://www.stitchguide.com/stitches/crochet/stitch_pages/cro_sc_decrease.html

As far as the pattern, I read the pattern and if I were crocheting it I would fasten off after row 1, then attach yarn in sc at the beginning of row 1, and begin row 2. I don't know if that is right, but that is how I interpret the pattern.

OKay what I think is -

when you get to end of Row 1, you will be here:

<X---------<-------------<------------------< (X is you, <'s are direction)

Correct?

So then, on Row 2, with new yarn, you start at the right end and work left, like this:

<-------------<------------<--------------X

Same as always, but since you are joining new yarn, there's no need to turn, you'll have the right side facing you.

sc2tog is a sc decrease, & pics can be found here

I have figured that the sc2tog means a sc decrease. I also turned it, even though it said not too. But now, I am having a problem with my "peaks" and "valleys" lining up. They seem to be a stitch off. Ugh, can some one work up the first 3 rows, and tell me what you think? Thanks again, ahead of time!!:hug

Archived