??? suggestions for SS yarn

I bought some simply soft yarn in plum wine

ii_588.jpg

The real colour is just a tad darker than the picture.

Anyhoo... this is a much finer weight of yarn than the RR that I usually use and I think the 5mm hook will have to be my implement of choice... unfortunately. After the WUA squares, I will have nine 3oz skeins to work with and I don't plan to buy any more.

I could use some suggestions for a project to make with this yarn as it seems outside my ken for now. I looked at the Circle Jacket thinking it would be nice for a young woman I know (2nd cousin) but I know there were challenges with that pattern... still it might be pretty and it would likely be quick to make up right???!

So does anyone have a suggestion for a project that I could complete before the 2nd coming knowing that I get bored quickly and lose interest if the thing goes on forever doing the exact same thing.

I seem to be on brain vacation again... it should not be that hard to think of something to make.:think

Darski, did you see the two shawls I recently made with Caron SS?

seashell shawl

and

celtic knot shawl

Those are both from http://www.friendshipshawl.org

If that doesn't "turn you on", maybe a stroll through Caron's free patterns might help.

That is nice stuff for sweaters for little girls (I did up some for my nieces from the lion brand free patterns - substituted for the microspun they asked for) http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70028A.html - they were quick and easy to do.

Also baby blankets are really soft using that yarn :manyheart I'm making one right now using a shell pattern - it will take about 4 six ounce skeins to finish.

The hearts shawl I made for the Valentine's Day CAL was made with SS as well.

SS is my latest favorite yarn :hug

I made a baby afghan (38") and 2 scarves with SS. It's so soft :c9. The afghan went in a church charity auction. I heard it sold for $52 :woo. I only get $30-35 for baby afghans (depending on size/pattern). Maybe I should ask for $40-45 next time :think. I have some in my stash, maybe I'll use that next.

Ellie 13

Glad you asked this, I have 16 oz. of this same yarn that I got when I bought some Caron mill ends last year. I was trying to figure out what to do with it too. You know, I really like the Caron Pounder yarn, but I'm not terribly fond of SS after all. I did an afghan as a Christmas present with two colors of SS and one of Caron Pounder and it turned out nice, but I think working with the SS is a bit of a challenge. It's very limp. Oh, sorry, didn't mean to get off the topic.

but I think working with the SS is a bit of a challenge. It's very limp. Oh, sorry, didn't mean to get off the topic.

That has been my experience so far in trying this for the WUA squares. I still don't have one as it never comes out the right size.

It is "limp". that is the word that I was searching for... :hug

I made my 2 thingys for the WUA and I really, really, really hate this yarn.

:yuck

It is awful to work with. It splits badly, and it will not hold a shape or size. :thair

I may just find a victim somewhere and give this stuff away as I cannot imagine dealing with it for 30 full ounces. I have been hoping that my aunt would get back to crocheting and she might like this yarn and this colour (at least more than I do :yuck )

It is awful to work with. It splits badly, and it will not hold a shape or size. :thair

I may just find a victim somewhere and give this stuff away as I cannot imagine dealing with it for 30 full ounces. I have been hoping that my aunt would get back to crocheting and she might like this yarn and this colour (at least more than I do :yuck )

:hug Funny how we're all different. This is one of my favorite yarns! LOL! Maybe your aunt will start crocheting again and will love it! :hook

:hug Funny how we're all different. This is one of my favorite yarns! LOL! Maybe your aunt will start crocheting again and will love it! :hook

I know this to be true of all crafts. I figure the good Lord knew what He was doing when He made all of us differently. To every thing there is a season.

I am really hoping that my aunt will take me up on this one. There is a great afghan pattern in my new Crochet Today mag that might tempt her as well.

SS is funny stuff...it seems (to me) that some colors split more than others. Maybe the dye holds it together?? :think I bought several skeins of different colors for the WUA sections, the plum was splitty but the dark blue and autumn red weren't bad at all.

Isn't it funny how there are such different experiences with the same yarn? I really haven't had much problem with SS splitting when I crochet with it...but when I recently learned to knit, I found I couldn't use it at all as it split with every stitch. I actually like the limpness of it for crocheting. I just hope it holds up with use and laundering as I have made several gift afghans with it.

Darski, if your aunt doesn't want the yarn you can send it down to me, I'll make the WUA squares with it :devil:lol

SS does work up limp and it does split which is why I don't really care working with it either. However, I have found that close stitch patterns are the best for this yarn. I've made a few rectangles for WUA using nothing but half double crochet. The fabric is firmer & I have an easier time getting the correct 7" x 9" size. I've also used the Clusters Around pattern (August 29th) from the 365 Stitches A Year calendar which looks great in bright colors & is a firmer rectangle too. Oh, btw, I'm a loose crocheter & I'm sure that's half my problem right there. Just my two cents :hook

Darski, I had a lot of trouble with simply soft splitting on me, but I found that changing my hooks fixed the problem.

I got a lot of splits with it using Boye hooks. Using the in-line style crystallites, or that new ergonomic hook that you can swap the heads on works well for me. :)

I love simply soft you could send it to me if you dont want it :)

I read a hint from the Crochet Memories site that said if your yarn tends to split, work with it from the other end. Don't know if that helps any as I haven't really tested the hint.

Archived