Teaching a nine year old boy?

I am looking for any hints that may help me teach my son to crochet. He made a comment that he'd like to learn and I'd love to teach him although I'd have to share my yarn! :lol He is a bright child but even still I don't know the first thing about teaching him. Sometimes he's too smart for me! LOL Any help would be very nice. Are there any books that might help me?

You can have him watch you by sitting next to you if he is the same handed as you. If he is left then he should sit in front of you. Maybe you can teach him to make a chain and some sc. Then, maybe he might want to make himself a hacky sack toy to play with. Or, a boyish scarf. If he is interested, he will do it!! :hook

My 6 year old son decided (a couple days ago) he wants to learn, so we sat down next to each other and I walked him through just the chain stitch to start (gotta start somewhere...). He is getting pretty good at it, so we will be starting on a single crochet soon. That's how I'm teaching him, just sitting down with him and crocheting right along with him. That way he can see what I am doing and I can see what he is doing and can quickly catch any goofs he makes. Hope this helps!

I taught my daughters how to crochet when they were about 9. I started my girls off making small squares. They made one or two and lost interest in that and went on to other things. My youngest (who's now 27) picked up crochet again a few years ago. The point is, don't be disappointed if his interest doesn't last long.

If he does stay interested, you may want to talk to him about how he's going to handle his friends (or other boys at school or in the neighborhood) when they find out he's crocheting which they will consider to be a 'girl' thing.

I taught my daughters how to crochet when they were about 9. I started my girls off making small squares. They made one or two and lost interest in that and went on to other things. My youngest (who's now 27) picked up crochet again a few years ago. The point is, don't be disappointed if his interest doesn't last long.

If he does stay interested, you may want to talk to him about how he's going to handle his friends (or other boys at school or in the neighborhood) when they find out he's crocheting which they will consider to be a 'girl' thing.

You make good points. At this point he doesn't care what others think about him, is very independant that way. All his friends like him because "he's the smartest in the class" that's their words, not mine. I don't know if he'd stick with it or not but I have gotten good ideas from this post so I am going to give it a go and see what happens.

Archived