Wedding Favours

cupcake

Question

My niece is getting married in August this year. This is my brothers oldest daughter and the first of the next generation to tie the knot.

I offered to make something for the tables as any Auntie would. Favours, or thingamebobs, something the guests might take home.

I have absolutely no idea what to make, only that she doesnt want sugar almonds in them. The wedding will be a traditional church wedding with the evening reception.

Has anyone seen or done anything unusual? Not necessarily crochet, but something effective.

I will have to make 120 of the things as well, so I need to start soon.

I figured with such a clever crafty community as this, there are sure to be some lovely ideas out there.

PLEASE HELP as I havent been to a wedding in yonks and I am not sure what is novel for a 2008 bride.

Another idea is that you can bake large heart shape cookies and put the couples initials on them in icing, then wrap in pretty celophane and a bow. Everyone can go home with a treat, not too expensive, or time consuming.

At my wedding we gave out a spoon full of hugs and kisses!

You take a plastic spoon, put a hershey's hug and kiss inside and wrap it in tulle, tie with a ribbon. On the ribbon you put a tag that reads

"A spoon full of hugs and kisses from the New Mr. and Mrs.

grooms name & brides name

Date"

I did ours in cream colored spoons, green tulle and cream colored ribbon. Those were my wedding colors!!!

I've seen shot glasses filled with colored stones and then a tea light on top. I think that looks really cool and I am considering doing that for my wedding.

You could make up a batch of bath salts and color it in the wedding colors, wrap a measure in cellophane , put it in a tule bag with a tag that says something like bathe in our love, mr. and mrs. whateverthename and date

For my daughter's wedding, I crocheted a small heart picture frame with a ribbon weaved in around it & glue a thick heart paper onto the back with their names & date printed on it. Then I glued a magnet to the back of the paper to make it a "fridgie". I also crocheted doilies, crocheted roses with crocheted leaves, & crochet button flowers. I put the flowers (6 flowers in each) in white milk glass vases with a ribbon tied around it & put them on the tables on the doily for centerpieces which 1 person at each table "won" & got to take it home. They were a big hit & looked really nice.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1148187#post1148187

some fabulous ideas here, keep them coming! Of course once I get decide what I am doing I will need a cheer squad to keep me going. dedkorz did you take any photos of this? They sound lovely.

The fish idea is cute. I once heard of something like that done with gold fish for a charity ball.

The spoon and shot glass ideas are nice as well. Unfortunately we dont have those choccies down here. Chriscad, that sounds a good idea as well.

When I got married, sometime in the last century (lol) my mother saved chicken wish bones forever, spray painted them gold and attached them to those tule almond bags things.

I remember these chicken bones on the kitchen ledge for months!

I haven't had much luck finding any American candy here that's a reasonable price. I'm often on the lookout as hubby's American and it'd be nice to have some home-treats for him when he's a bit homesick (he's been here over 3 years now).

You can get Kisses on Ebay for $5 a packet but the postage is what kills you - $12+. Ridiculous.

Edit: Just found a website that sells a bag of Kisses for $3.90. They are located here in Australia so postage should be cheaper.

http://www.britishsweets.com.au/shopmastery.php?cat1=USA&cat2=CANDY&cat3=CHOCOLATE

I'm not sure what the next best thing would be. In terms of little individually wrapped chocolates though, Ferrero Rochers always go down a treat. We used them at my wedding to weight down the folded serviettes (they were folded in the shape of a flower, and we used the chocolates as the centres).

Sorry not much help there. But if it's any consolation, Hershey's chocolate is nowhere near as nice as our Cadbury's. Americans have a whole different idea of how chocolate tastes compared to us Aussies!

Another idea might be to dip (plastic or metal--check out thrift stores(then clean em really well))in melted chocolate, drizzled with white chocolate = Coffee/Hot cocoa spoons.

You can also get some tulle (or nylon net) in the color that best matches their colors and cut them in large (9") circles...Fill with wrapped chocolates (or M&ms, ) or small bits of potpourri, and tie with a co-ordinating ribbon.

You can buy tulle circles in the flower/wedding section of most craft stores...costs a bit more, but saves on time. (and they usually only come in white)

Maybe make little tealite holders? I'm thinking of the little glass votive candle holders that are almost straight up (look kinda like wide and short shot glasses), with a crocheted "scarf" thing to go around it. Sorry I don't know of any patterns already in existence.

You may also be able to find patterns of things like wedding bells, hi-heeled shoes, umbrellas, or flower baskets (done in thread) to crochet and stiffen, for each person.

For our wedding, we had those flower fishbowl shaped glass bowls with the glass rocks in the bottom and a tea light on the rocks...one per table. We also followed a Canadian tradition (I'm born and bred there) of a reception booklet...filled with cartoons, quips, quotes, puzzles, thank you note from the Mr and Mrs, etc...One per place setting.

I've also seen (in a mag) little soaps with a picture on top...you buy the little soaps, and then some of those soap kits from a craft store...kinda decoupage a small pressed flower (or picture) onto the top with the melted soap. Along the same line, you can get little votives in the couple's colors, and get candle making kit, and decoupage a pressed or silk flower onto the side of it. (pressed probably safer if it will get used) Or you could decoupage the flower onto a votive holder instead. Or do the acid sketch/stencilling...which really is quite easy and looks great!!

My sister made mini-candles with those sheets of beeswax that you can buy..she found some in her colors and rolled them around candle wick string...(one on each end so it's like two attached) then she tied them with a ribbon with her and her DH name on them

Hope some of this helps a bit

Last August hubby was best man at a wedding, and the bride was a quilter; at each of the tables, over the white tablecloth and under a vase of flowers was this:

purse003.jpg

It was absolutely GORGEOUS! And the oldest person at each table was able to take it home with them. Yep, you guessed it; I was the oldest at 36! :blush

Anyway, maybe small "afghanlets" might be a good idea? Those quilted squares are, I believe, about 2 feet square, and she had about 10 tables. There were other favors for each person, that was just a little added bonus :)

Anyway, let us know what you decide to do! :D

Well I went down to the craft store to see if I could get inspired and to see what bits and bobs they had. I got some little votives and have done a crochet protype in thread.

This was all very dangerous as I also came away with with about 6 bags of wool which was on sale. :blush Nothing to do with wedding favours, but gee I got some good bargains.

At my wedding I had at each place setting a $1 scratch off lottery ticket in a vellum envelope and a penny. I had a sticker that I made on my computer that held the envelope closed that said "wishing you riches from the new Mr. & Mrs."

For my wedding, we had a flower/growth theme to the wedding ceremony (we wrote our own ceremony) so we made favours along that theme. We made little paper envelopes in our wedding colours and filled them with seeds of native Australian plants. We put a little note on the front to, but I can't remember what it said now, something along the lines of 'please plant these in honour of this occasion'. I printed the labels out on the computer. So it was a fairly cheap wedding favour all in all.

Similarly to what someone else mentioned also, we had fancy paper (again made on the computer) and pens with little ribbon bows tied on them. These were for guests to write little comments/wishes on. We then turned it into a guestbook.

Not quite wedding favours but on a side note: If you're interested in having disposable cameras on the tables, check out the Reject Shop (if you have them in QLD). They are super cheap ($5 each compared to $15 at Big W) and have specially printed wedding boxes around them. At one wedding, the bride and groom had one camera on each table with instructions to take photos during a certain time of the reception (e.g. 7.30pm-8.00pm). That way they ended up with photos of the whole night.

As for smores, they're treats you usually have around campfires. You take two Graham crackers (they're sort of a sweet cracker if I remember rightly), put marshmallow and Hershey's chocolate in between then roast over a fire so it melts together. I only ever experienced these once when I lived in the States - for Halloween. They were very yummy!

Good luck with the wedding plans! Love to hear what you decide to make for the favours!

I loved the scratch off ticket idea! My family is addicted to them (in a healthy manner of course). We always play bingo at family gatherings and the prizes are always envelopes with scratch off tickets:) I am going to steal the scratch off ticket idea for my wedding! Wouldn't it be awesome if someone won a bunch of money?

Archived