Wedding Favours

cupcake

Question

My niece is getting married in August this year. This is my brothers oldest daughter and the first of the next generation to tie the knot.

I offered to make something for the tables as any Auntie would. Favours, or thingamebobs, something the guests might take home.

I have absolutely no idea what to make, only that she doesnt want sugar almonds in them. The wedding will be a traditional church wedding with the evening reception.

Has anyone seen or done anything unusual? Not necessarily crochet, but something effective.

I will have to make 120 of the things as well, so I need to start soon.

I figured with such a clever crafty community as this, there are sure to be some lovely ideas out there.

PLEASE HELP as I havent been to a wedding in yonks and I am not sure what is novel for a 2008 bride.

ok, so today I spoke to my niece and am going to make a few different prototypes of things for her tables.

Here is number 1. Vanilla tealight in a little crochet flower. I only had green ribbon, but you can get the general idea:

img0219cjq3.th.jpg

img0213ccj0.th.jpg

img0211cbk2.th.jpg

Now I am not exactly sure that these are the favours, but more to put arround the tables as she wants tea lights.

I have a few more concepts wizzing arround my head as I go.

The glass votives = 50c Aus, plus candle plus cotton and ribbon.

I also bought a couple of ferrera rocher chocolates to see what I could do with them. My son showed me what he would do with it - unwrapped it and stuck it in his gob! :lol :lol

They cost 44c Aus each, on special at Woolworths in a boxes at the moment because of Valentines day.

i had bookmarks at my wedding. i printed them on my computer - laminated them - my grandmother made tassels (i was not crocheting at the time). but maybe you could crochet a bookmark with their initials on it. people could always use a good bookmark. just my thought.

Hershey chocolate is gross, I make my smores with cadbury. Nestle Crunch is about the thickness of the chocolate.

One shower I went to (but I think it would work nicely for the wedding too) had picture frames with a little saying in them about love. I think there were four different sayings or poems. Then the bride/groom sent a small picture to fit the frame of the wedding. They were quite lovely!

For my shower, again a cute wedding idea, my mother bought cheap teacups and saucers, and filled them with pretzels, and stir sticks, and then wrapped in cling film decoratively. Everyone loved them!

Hi cupcake,

First of all, nothing but NOTHING can beat Cadbury's chocolate and I am a chocolate EXPERT! :lol

I'm in the same boat, big wedding coming up in August and I'd like to do something personal as a 'favor'. Of course, there is the old classic: taking a small plate and use it to cut out circles of coloured organza, which you fill with a handful of sweets or almonds and tie with a bow. But instead of a bow I was thinking of trying to crochet a tiny heart in red or white thread, which could later be used as, e.g. a bookmark?

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/hearts.php

I don't like the idea of candles and sweet-roasting at a large wedding, I must confess. The heady mixture of a large number of

people+jollity+alcohol-inspired-jollity+small kids+fire+candles = disaster

as I see it :)

Seeing as you are a Cupcake, you could put a cupcake on each guest's plate (thinking: 12 cupcakes per tray @ 20 mins baking time per lot x 10 lots... hmm) or alternatively have a look at the mini-cupcake trays for sale on e.g. Amazon (especially the silicon ones are supposed to be good.) You could easily whack out the batches the day before, ice and decorate them in the wedding colours (I have done this for a wedding by the way: 70 lilac cupcakes!)

I personally like the idea of edibles but that's because I am always trying to get rid of knick-knacks and bits and pieces... but that's just me. I would appreciate the work put into it, as a crafter, but I would prefer something I could polish off, hehe.

The spoon and shot glass ideas are nice as well. Unfortunately we dont have those choccies down here.

Is chocolate something that ships well? If so, maybe you could order them online. Or, I'd be happy to ship them to you. Hershey's Kisses are yummy! Besides plain chocolate, they have choc and almonds, cherry cordial, choc mint, choc caramel, choc truffle, and a bunch of others that I can't think off. And it would add to the novelty factor to have a treat from a different country!

PM me if you would like a designated mailwoman!

The best wedding favour I received was just a few months ago. We got a cellophane cone and inside was a layer of hot chocolate mix, then a layer of mini marshmallows then a layer of chocolate sprinkles. This was tied with matching ribbon with a tag of the Mr & Mrs

Its just a cup of hot chocolate. You put it in your mug, add boiling water and enjoy! It was great, I actually ended up with about 5 of them because my mom, dad and brother also went! Unfortunately, my kids got into them before I had the chance! lol

i did centerpieces for my sisters wedding a few years ago. i used large fishbowls and made wreaths out of ivy. i misted the wreaths with spray giltter, attached some small white roses and butterflies. in the bowls i placed floating candle. the base of the wreaths were grean foam rings. everything except the butterflies i found at ac moore. the butterflies were from oriental trading. also at each persons seat was a floating candle in a tulle bag. my sister and her hubby chose a saying they both loved and i printed it on the attached card ( these were business size cards). the person whose card had a rose a different color than the others in the corner was the one to take home the centerpiece.

nadine

wow so many great ideas. Debbie that is a great link, thanks so much!

Do any of the Aussies know if you can get hershey kisses here, or what is the next best thing?

I'm getting married in May and I really like things that are environmentally friendly. We're doing 3-4 small blue spruce saplings per table as centerpieces, and anyone who has room to plant them can take them home. They'll have little burlap sacks around the bottom and a cheesy note that says something like "As their love grows... blah blah... reach for the sun... blah blah... roots go deep... blah" I haven't gotten that part done yet :) I have a forest preserve lined up to take any that aren't claimed at the reception.

I think the *IDEA* of the fish in bowls is cute, but as a very active aquarium hobbyist, it makes my tummy do flip flops. If someone gets a pet, it should be their choice. Bettas that are acquired by impulse (and ESPECIALLY if they are free) are nearly always neglected when the novelty wears off, and then they wither away and die like cut flowers. Living creatures shouldn't be used as decoration, ya know?

At my wedding we gave out a spoon full of hugs and kisses!

You take a plastic spoon, put a hershey's hug and kiss inside and wrap it in tulle, tie with a ribbon. On the ribbon you put a tag that reads

"A spoon full of hugs and kisses from the New Mr. and Mrs.

grooms name & brides name

Date"

I'm down with this idea (as I plan a surprise 1st year wedding anniversary celebration for my husband July 12); BUT, what are the "hugs". I am going to purchase Hershey kisses anyway, but what constitute the hugs on the spoons?

Tks.

Getting married 10/4 and instead of favors we are donating to the Michigan HUmane Society in honor of our dogs. I have a bookmark made from a friend (who designes for CHEAP!) and I am printing them off and having them at every seat. If you would like to see them, pm me and I can show ya.

I am sharing with you my photo bucket album of Wedding favors.

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u308/susy12_photos/Wedding%20Favors/

I did the favors for my two son's wedding (in 2006 and 2007 -the cake cutter & miniature watering can, respectively).

I also did the favors for my nephew's wedding last January/08 (cookie cutter and "love" measuring spoon).

I also did 80+ small doilies for wedding give aways for my niece in 2004. I packaged each in a hexagonal small box with accompanying color motif ribbon to complete the small gift package (sorry no pics, I don't have digicam then).

I hope you get some ideas.

I'm down with this idea (as I plan a surprise 1st year wedding anniversary celebration for my husband July 12); BUT, what are the "hugs". I am going to purchase Hershey kisses anyway, but what constitute the hugs on the spoons?

Tks.

"Hugs" are the hershey's that have white and milk chocolate...the wrappers look swirled. The White chocolate "hugged" the inner chocolate...hence the name...I think it was about the second thing in the "kisses" line, before they came out with tons of different flavors, and gave up on more names...

as to earlier posts...I grew up in Canada...Cadbury beats hershey, hands down! :D

:idea

I have a grand-daughter getting married next year so I'm also looking for ideas. Since their names both begin with the letter M, I thought about getting m&m s in their wedding colors and dong something with them.

Here is another idea ----- buy or print stickers with their names, picture or just a thank you and place on the bottom of Hershey kisses. (Hugs & Kissses would be better). They could be placed in a brandy sniffer and also be used as a table decoration. I've also seen plastic boxes of Tic Tacs with a label was placed over the Tic Tac lable. The same could be done with rolls of lifesaver candy or any candy bars.

kissesebayym7.jpg

This is gorgeous, I would love to do this for my wedding, im getting married next year, could you share the pattern?:hook

I have found it really hard to find a good wedding favor idea. I thought about crocheting a round little bag that ties at the top, with a nice edging and adding candies or chocolates in it.

Please share other favor ideas, Im getting inspired:yes

ok, so today I spoke to my niece and am going to make a few different prototypes of things for her tables.

Here is number 1. Vanilla tealight in a little crochet flower. I only had green ribbon, but you can get the general idea:

img0219cjq3.th.jpg

img0213ccj0.th.jpg

img0211cbk2.th.jpg

Now I am not exactly sure that these are the favours, but more to put arround the tables as she wants tea lights.

I have a few more concepts wizzing arround my head as I go.

The glass votives = 50c Aus, plus candle plus cotton and ribbon.

I also bought a couple of ferrera rocher chocolates to see what I could do with them. My son showed me what he would do with it - unwrapped it and stuck it in his gob! :lol :lol

They cost 44c Aus each, on special at Woolworths in a boxes at the moment because of Valentines day.

on this page at the bottom were the following:

Wedding Supply Superstore - find everything from personalized chocolates to favor bags - http://www.eFavorMart.com/Personalized

Wedding & Shower Favors - http://www.NuptialKnickKnacks.com - low prices guaranteed on 500+ unique wedding favors and gifts

Unique Wedding Favors - Choose the favors that match your style - Low prices and fast delivery - http://www.partybasics.com

When I was married many moons ago - we just got some very inexpensive tall vases, silk flowers in my wedding colors (baby blue, lavender, silver) and put a couple in the vase and tied with matching ribbon

i have seen the small fish bowls with colored rocks (wedding colors) and matching colored water with coordinating floating candles - very pretty

years ago my aunt made hers using sand in her wedding colors and made gorgeous designs using spoon handles and other things slid down the inside of the glass, covered them with wax and a wick (she used the glass that had lids) i still have it some 30 years later.

keep us posted

"hugs" are made by hershey also and look just like a kiss but instead of solid silver foil they have striped foil and are usually white chocolate with a milk chocolate swirl around them.

hope this helps

i have seen the small fish bowls with colored rocks (wedding colors) and matching colored water with coordinating floating candles - very pretty

"hugs" are made by hershey also and look just like a kiss but instead of solid silver foil they have striped foil and are usually white chocolate with a milk chocolate swirl around them.

hope this helps

This is what I'm gonna do for our anniversary 7/12. Hopefully will find some hugs :yes

Awww maaan, just off tele with Hershey's, they are not making Hugs right now.

See, Cadbury is bettern the "H" folk, blllahhhhhhhhhhh

Hi!

I am getting married in October. I say look at sites like marth Stewart, http://www.theknot.com... see if you can get some ideas. I am donating money to the humane society for favors and to let each guest know, someone I know is creating a bookmark type thing to state that. There are so many cool things out there though. Please share what you decide! I am curious!

sarah

This is going to sound strange, but was one of the coolest things I've seen at a wedding. A girl I knew had a blue theme going on for her wedding, so she bought cheap glass vases at the dollar store, put a little blue gravel on the bottom and bought all blue fighter fish to swim in the vases (one in each vase). They were a hit! The blue looked great with the theme and someone at each table got to go home with a new pet.

Fighterfish.jpg

At another wedding, a friend gave out small kitchen timers in the shape of a wedding bell. These were cute because they are useful and not something that people will throw away.

Archived